ImageImageImageImageImage

raptors thinking of keeping oneal?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Raptorian
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Re: raptors thinking of keeping oneal? 

Post#61 » by Raptorian » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:39 pm

tecumseh18 wrote:Here are the options:

1. Look competitive in the next 7-10 days, putting the Raps into the driver's seat in the playoff mix ==> trade JO for a wing who can match up with Lebron, Pierce, Turk.

2. Look crappy for the next 7-10 days ==> trade JO for Wally Z's expiring, Anderson V and a 1st rounder.

But either way, JO has to be gone this year.

I disagree with this sentiment. Really there is no reason why BC should feel pressured to do a deal at this point. JO is going to be an even more valuable trade asset next year, with his $20 million expiring contract. There is an opportunity to make a deal similar to the Gasol trade or the Baron Davis to GS trade. It would be a type of deal where a team wants to rebuild and is willing to give up a good player to do so (look what denver got for AI's expiring contract).

If on the other hand, no good deal is to be had this year or next, we will be one of the teams with a boat load of cap room in 2010 with perhaps the nicest class of FA ever seen in the NBA.

I would be very happy if BC can acquire the wing player who compliments Bosh/Bargs/Calderon, but I would be just as happy to sit on the trade and see what happens next year. I highly doubt that Marion re-signs with the Raps if he is traded here. Realistically we are not one rental player away from making a nice playoff run, so this shouldn't be the focus.

If on the other hand you can net yourself Josh Howard or someone similar, looking for a long term replacement at the wing, I would be happier with a deal.

(BTW I think Marion is done as an impact player in this league. He really has shown absolutely nothing in Miami and seems to be a guy that benefitted solely from Nash/D'Anton. He is not the answer for the Raps, he cannot create his own shot, has turned into a mediocre 3pt shooter and his defence has declined).

Return to Toronto Raptors