ImageImageImageImageImage

OT - High school coach fired for not apologizing

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Superboy316KING
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: OT - High school coach fired for not apologizing 

Post#21 » by Superboy316KING » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:14 pm

Sheer BS.

No wonder people don't watch women's basketball or the wnba lol

Don't bypass the filter please.
Mikestro
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Post#22 » by Mikestro » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:14 pm

What many people are overlooking is the fact that they basically were facing a team full of what seemed to be "special needs" kids. Many of them had learning disabilities and other types of conditions. To lay a beating on a helpless team like that is just dishonourable and repulsive. And to top it off, the coach didn't even apologize for it. It's called SPORTSmanship for a reason.

I'm glad the coach got fired.
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#23 » by sh00n » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:17 pm

Celtics never fired Doc Rivers for the late dunks the Celtics always seem to pull off. Hell - nobody was ever even fined for it. And that's the NBA.

It's not the coach's fault for the score - who the hell wants a coach that tells their team to lay off a bit and let the other team back into it?
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
COY0607
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,815

Post#24 » by COY0607 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:22 pm

like someone pointed out earlier....its not the coaches fault that they were playing a team with kids with "special needs"......its the guy who arranged the schedule........what do you expect when you go into a game like this
its upto the coach how he wants his team to play once they are in the game.......a nicer guy might not have been so harsh, but if this guy kept pushing his team, its not his fault
Boner Champ
Bench Warmer
And1: 8

Post#25 » by Boner Champ » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:23 pm

Isn't the team that won from a Christian school?

Seems kinda contrary to the whole golden rule premise upon which Christians are supposed to base their actions, no?
Deadpool_X
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#26 » by Deadpool_X » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:24 pm

Just to play devils advocate...

Why should playing against players with learning disabilities change your feeling on how hard to beat them???

If instead of special needs children the other team were 12 nazi tattoo covered red necks who picked on other kids would you still cry that they beat them too hard?

Arn't you insulting the special needs girls by telling them that they should be treated differently than other people???

Just a thought...
Mikestro
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by Mikestro » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:28 pm

sh00n wrote:Celtics never fired Doc Rivers for the late dunks the Celtics always seem to pull off. Hell - nobody was ever even fined for it. And that's the NBA.

It's not the coach's fault for the score - who the hell wants a coach that tells their team to lay off a bit and let the other team back into it?

Comparing the NBA with girls' high school basketball. Nuff said.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,210

Post#28 » by LLJ » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:28 pm

sh00n wrote:Celtics never fired Doc Rivers for the late dunks the Celtics always seem to pull off. Hell - nobody was ever even fined for it. And that's the NBA.

Does anyone really think a team full of "special needs" kids were really going to threaten a well trained "normal" basketball team?

That said, I agree that this should never have been scheduled in the first place. If you wanted to have charitable fun with kids with disabilities, they should have simply mixed up both teams' rosters and had them playing with one another, instead of a lopsided contest like this.
Mikestro
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by Mikestro » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:32 pm

COY0607 wrote:like someone pointed out earlier....its not the coaches fault that they were playing a team with kids with "special needs"......its the guy who arranged the schedule........what do you expect when you go into a game like this
its upto the coach how he wants his team to play once they are in the game.......a nicer guy might not have been so harsh, but if this guy kept pushing his team, its not his fault

I too agree that the people in charge of scheduling the game should be at fault. However, I'm sure the coach knew of the circumstances of the other team.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#30 » by 5DOM » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:35 pm

let the other team back into it?
the other team had absolutely no chance.
Condi Rice
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#31 » by Condi Rice » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:39 pm

If a bird has a broken wing, you put it out of its misery, nuff said.
killkenny
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#32 » by killkenny » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:42 pm

Speaking of Boston... isn't this the same board that got its collective panties in a bunch over Gerald Green, etc., and brayed about the Celtics' lack of sportsmanship, class, etc., etc.?
Deadpool_X
Sixth Man
And1: 125

Post#33 » by Deadpool_X » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:44 pm

killkenny wrote:Speaking of Boston... isn't this the same board that got its collective panties in a bunch over Gerald Green, etc., and brayed about the Celtics' lack of sportsmanship, class, etc., etc.?

Because everyone on the board thinks the exact same right?
HumbleBumbleBee
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#34 » by HumbleBumbleBee » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:48 pm

I don't like what he did...but I don't think he should get fired for it.
Got Raps FanFiction?
digitalallstar
Senior
And1: 321

Post#35 » by digitalallstar » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:51 pm

Let me play devil's advocate as well, this girl has a point;

In the Web posting, one unidentified student said: "I have ADD and ADHD. There is nothing that separates me from anyone on the Dallas Academy girls team, so there is nothing that should separate the value of our sides. What we did that night is what we are on this team for: to play basketball and win. As for the media calling our actions "unchristian", that is very sad. For this team, and our coach are a living testimony. I am not sorry for how we played that night because I know that no harm was intended and I also know no harm occurred. I would hope America was more willing to read the lies in between the lines. The coach is as important to the team as we are—we are with him 100 percent."
Beets, bears, Battlestar Galactica.
yucatan87
Sixth Man
And1: 119

Post#36 » by yucatan87 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:59 pm

If I'm understanding this correctly, the "special needs" of these girls are learning disabilities. It's not as if they were playing the local Special Olympics team. Should teams in the 80's and 90's have taken it easy on the Knicks because Patrick Ewing was a known dyslexic? Maybe half the NBA is insensitive for manhandling the Clippers every night because they have Chris Kaman who suffers from ADHD.

Why should these girls be treated differently than anybody else? If you're attacking the coach based on the fact that he ran up the score, that's fine, but it should be immaterial of the learning capabilities of the other team.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#37 » by Volcano » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:59 pm

We need to sign some of these girls to 10-day contracts

WHAT?? when you're a kid it's about sportmanship and having fun...when you get to college/NBA, it's about winning. How are you comparing this to the NBA?
killkenny
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#38 » by killkenny » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:02 am

Cweb wrote:
killkenny wrote:Speaking of Boston... isn't this the same board that got its collective panties in a bunch over Gerald Green, etc., and brayed about the Celtics' lack of sportsmanship, class, etc., etc.?

Because everyone on the board thinks the exact same right?

I don't know, the sentiment re: Green's dunk was pretty uniform, though, you're right, there were a handful of exceptions.
M2thaC
Freshman

Post#39 » by M2thaC » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:08 am

In my opinion, the coach should not have been fired.

He stated that "he will not apologize 'for a wide-margin victory when my girls played with honor and integrity.'"

He simply wanted his girls to play the game with everything they got, and what's wrong with that? It's not as if the players on the other teams had physical disabilities. The team played with everything they got, and they played with "honor and integrity," which is all you can ask for in a team and a coach. It's not like they're downright showing off to the other players' face or making demoralizing gestures and what not. They were simply playing hard, and playing to win.

Why should a coach be fired for that?
I am a sponge - knowledge is truth
Ramen Monster
Pro Prospect

Post#40 » by Ramen Monster » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:10 am

This is overblown. They were "special" needs kids but it's not like they were missing an arm. We're talking about kids with Dyslexia (difficulty with written language) and ADD (attention deficit disorder). They're not physically incapable of playing. That said, its silly he should be fired over not apologizing; it's sports. His job is something that he did in order to support himself and possibly his family; that he was fired because he hurt someones feelings, in a SPORT, where the goal is to win, is pretty silly.
I'm not saying running up the score against a slightly special (not physically handicapped) bunch is fine, but you shouldn't lose your job over it even if you find it distasteful. Even if you lose at a sport you're inferior at, at least you tried. You went in and did your best, you got beat, that's just fair competition.

Return to Toronto Raptors