ImageImageImageImageImage

Doug Smith reiterates that a JO trade is on the Horizon

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

nizaam
Sixth Man
And1: 415

Re: Doug Smith reiterates that a JO trade is on the Horizon 

Post#101 » by nizaam » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:28 am

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Hilarious that AP might be off the block just to play back up pg, and that we're potentially getting Marcus Banks. So, we'd have 3 back-up point guards that can't play.

BC's a real thinker.
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#102 » by Komodo » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:12 pm

Should we be paying 20-25 mil for Bosh though, I think that's the most important question... if there's any hesitation, no way in hell do we bend over backwards to keep him happy. I think we should explore ALL venues before it's too late, with that cutoff date being this offseason...
223red
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#103 » by 223red » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:10 pm

Rapsobsessed7 wrote:in 2009:
Resign Marion
Draft Derozan
Sign Delfino(MLE)
Sign Rasho(Vet Minimum)

Correct me if I'm wrong, and perhaps this has been discussed randomly in some other thread, but I we need to use the MLE to resign Delfino? I think we hold either his bird or non-bird rights to resign him as an exception to the cap. If so, according to your plan we can still use the MLE someone else because marion, draft pick and Rasho are also exception to the cap. So, we can overspend on another Kapono-like player to put us over the top!

Also, is Radoslav really only worth a vet minimum? He still gets 8/4/2 with Indy and he's still seven feet tall and, although he can't run, he never really could run and he's still as servicable as he was last season. He makes $8.4m right now so asking him to take a 90% paycut might be wishful thinking. Maybe all you would need is the bi-annual exception if $2m or so is enough, but if not you might have to use some MLE on him.
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#104 » by Yosemite Dan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:17 pm

komodo19 wrote:Should we be paying 20-25 mil for Bosh though, I think that's the most important question... if there's any hesitation, no way in hell do we bend over backwards to keep him happy. I think we should explore ALL venues before it's too late, with that cutoff date being this offseason...

We shouldn't but we will and media and management just seem to avoid the issue of how we are gonna surround him with players to contend when he'll be taking up so much of the cap to begin with. The issue will come up ad nauseum 3 years from now when we continue to be a .500 team because of payroll issues and everyone wondering why we gave so much money to him to be a .500 team. It seems to be acknowledged by all that Bosh is a level below a superstar like Wade and James but no one has a problem paying him that way and treat it like it's a no brainer to have him locked up to that much money long term and we'd be lucky to do so and have to appease Bosh in every way so he lets us do it.

Signing Bosh to a max contract is the short sighted and safe move by BC just to appease the fan base in the short term while ignoring the long term damage it causes. We need a GM like Dumars who isn't afraid to make tough decisions and look at things rationally, and not having crushes on players by ignoring thier faults, and what's best for the team like he did with letting Wallace and Billups go because long term keeping those players won't win him the title.

Return to Toronto Raptors