ImageImageImageImageImage

Why is Calderon playing when he's injured?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Why is Calderon playing when he's injured? 

Post#1 » by _venom_ » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:17 am

This is not a bashing thread, I repeat not a bashing thread.

Why is Jose Calderon playing at all when he is once again not 100%. What is the point of bringing him back early at this point? He should sit out until he is completely healed or just sit out the rest of the season even. We suck with him, we suck without him so what's the difference. I don't understand why he is being allowed to come back even when he is not healed. The season is lost so rest him up through the all-star break and see if after the break he is ready to come back.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,560

Re: Calderon 

Post#2 » by DG88 » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:20 am

The problem with a hamstring injury is that it can reoccur at any time even after you heal it won't take must like getting up awkwardly to reinjure it again.
Strategist1
Head Coach
And1: 413

Re: Why is Calderon playing when he's injured? 

Post#3 » by Strategist1 » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:21 am

He will never be completely healthy with that type of injury. It'll probably linger on until the off season where he can get rest. Though I'd like to be proven wrong.

Calderon is passionate about ball, and wants to play
Prediction
Spurs in 7. Parker MVP. Lebron 6-17fg, 18pt, 8reb, 5 asst in game 7 LOSS.
The Heat will choke!
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,632

Post#4 » by C_Money » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:22 am

Is this the same injury he got in the olympics? We shouldn't let our players play there anymore.
Phenomenologist
Veteran
And1: 107

Post#5 » by Phenomenologist » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:22 am

I could understand him taking his chances if we were a competitive team, but we're horrible (with or without him). Best to keep him out for the foreseeable future; in typical Raptors fashion, he's playing 35+ though.
Ballin
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#6 » by Ballin » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:26 am

His injury is being used a scapegoat by the media now. Around the same time Calderon got his "strain" Brandon Roy tore his hamstring and has been back for over a week now with no complaints from them. It's the NBA, sooner or later you have to play through lingering injuries and stop whining about them because other players have injuries too, they just don't suck and cry about them all the time. Don't forget this is the same player that got taken out on a stretcher, gives a thumbs up to the crowd as he is getting taken away then comes back the next game like nothing happened. Grow some cajones hombre.
raptorballa
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#7 » by raptorballa » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:28 am

It was funny how Jack or Leo said Calderon was looking 100% in the beginning of the Orlando game, and once he was playing poorly, they said he doesn't look 100%.

I don't think he's injured, i just think he aint playing good, period.

The reason of this is cause, when TJ was here, there would be more competetion, but now sinces he gone, he has nothing to look up to for him to get the energy, and the passion to actually play, and put up good numbers.
Northern_Raptor
Sophomore

Post#8 » by Northern_Raptor » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:29 am

Ballin wrote:His injury is being used a scapegoat bye the media now. Around the same time Calderon got his "strain" Brandon Roy tore his hamstring and has been back for over a week now with no complaints from them. It's the NBA, sooner or later you have to play through lingering injuries and stop whining about them because other players have injuries too, they just don't suck and cry about them all the time. Don't forget this is the same player that got taken out on a stretcher, gives a thumbs up to the crowd as he is getting taken away then comes back the next game like nothing happened. Grow some cajones hombre.

Well done. Calderon's hamstring only ever seems to be an issue when hes playing bad. Has a bad shooting night and then grabs the hammy, haha.
Blazer_2458
Bench Warmer
And1: 45

Post#9 » by Blazer_2458 » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:29 am

Does him hamstring injury influence him to do the following:
1) Constantly sag down on D and deny ball entry to opposing PF/Cs that have no game (i.e. Wallace, Varajero)? --which leads to open shots
2) Keep him so concentrated on the ball that he turns his back on defense and allows his man to sag into the corner for a 3pt (i.e. Williams, Boobie)?
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,632

Post#10 » by C_Money » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:31 am

raptorballa wrote:It was funny how Jack or Leo said Calderon was looking 100% in the beginning of the Orlando game, and once he was playing poorly, they said he doesn't look 100%.

I don't think he's injured, i just think he aint playing good period.

The reason of this is cause, when TJ was here, there would be more competetion, but now sinces he gone, he has nothing to look up to for him to get the energy, and the passion to actually play, and put up good numbers.

LOL they mention that atleast 5 times a game. After every missed shot or turnover. It used to be just Leo but now Jack has been doing it. Jack is starting to get pretty annoying. Not at Leo's level but still pretty annoying.
Strategist1
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Strategist1 » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:32 am

will say this..

healthy or not healthy.. Calderon this year, has been a disappointment considering the expectations in the offseason.

So many pg''s in the east are ahead of him in terms of level of play and performance including guys like Jameer Nelson (until he got hurt), Rondo, Mo Williams, Bibby, Harris, Stuckey.... is calderon a type 8 pg in the east?
Prediction
The Heat will choke!
raptorballa
Sophomore

Post#12 » by raptorballa » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:32 am

LOL they mention that atleast 5 times a game. After every missed shot or turnover. It used to be just Leo but now Jack has been doing it. Jack is starting to get pretty annoying. Not at Leo's level but still pretty annoying.[/quote]

I honestly found it realllyy annoying as well.
jaymeister15
RealGM
And1: 1,072

Post#13 » by jaymeister15 » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:34 am

A nice drinking game would be to take a shot every time Jack/Leo/Devlin mention Calderon isn't 100%

I swear, it seems like they've been saying it 15+ times a game the last few games.

It's the NBA, the majority of players aren't 100% at this point in the season, I don't see why it has to keep being shoved down our throats that Calderon "isn't 100%"

If its that bad, get him off the court
18 Parkerville
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by 18 Parkerville » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:35 am

I could have sworn, not 3 games ago (when numero oucho was playing well), Leo Rautins and Devlin were blabbing on and on (and on and on and on..) about how Hose is finally healthy, and how great he looks because he's finally healthy. We were reminded constantly of the impact a healthy Hose C has.

Alas, months after the original "horrific" incident, 3 games (and virtually no added physical contact) after all that praise showered on by Leo and Devlin, Hose is suddenly "not 100%" because he's not playing well. We're supposed to believe that because apparently they "can tell" by "looking at him". :rolleyes:

edit: Here's the clip where Jose suffered his original hamstring injury that Devlin, Leo and Jack won't shut up about. (29 seconds in):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YBcQZPIgLx0
Jose "Hammy" Calderon - where Gatorade at the half clouding rational judgment happens, and where "hamstring" injuries linger all season long.
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#15 » by Death Knight » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:35 am

Some of Calderon's mistakes on both ends of the floor doesn't have anything to do with an injury. It's about his set up, positioning and decision making. On several occasions in the Cavs game on defense, he had his back completely turned on the weak side and thus was in no position to see a screen when he turned around, which allowed his man to shoot a wide open 3 in the corner. Basic fundamentals says you have to keep both eyes on the man and the ball, Calderon only kept his eye on the ball.
Strategist1
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Strategist1 » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:36 am

You guys are right... i've started to believe them. Maybe because I haven't seen every Raps game since of the TSN2 games that I haven't caught on like u guys have.... But considering history, they've always made excuses for him.
Prediction
The Heat will choke!
Blazer_2458
Bench Warmer
And1: 45

Post#17 » by Blazer_2458 » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:37 am

18 Parkerville wrote:I could have sworn, not 3 games ago (when numero oucho was playing well), Leo Rautins and Devlin were blabb:

Your Avatar makes me laugh every time :lol:
raptorballa
Sophomore

Post#18 » by raptorballa » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:39 am

So with all that said, can we all say that moving TJ was a bad idea?
raptorforlife88
Veteran
And1: 943

Post#19 » by raptorforlife88 » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:43 am

Northern_Raptor wrote:Well done. Calderon's hamstring only ever seems to be an issue when hes playing bad. Has a bad shooting night and then grabs the hammy, haha.

Which is why he missed this morning's practice right to get the hamstring checked out again right? It's clear that after that first hammy injury he came back to early and made it worse and now it's lingering.
LatinoHeat
Banned User

Post#20 » by LatinoHeat » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:48 am

Yess this thread is so true. Even when he misses jump shots Leo blaims it on the injury.
ALso I love how when TJ came back last year Leo would neverr blame his struggles on an injury. The worst part is TJ is the one whos got the really **** up body. Dammm uuuu Leooooo, u butt.

Return to Toronto Raptors