ImageImageImageImageImage

Comment on JO's performance tonight against the Spurs

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Strategist1
Head Coach
And1: 413

Re: Comment on JO's performance tonight against the Spurs 

Post#41 » by Strategist1 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:56 pm

JO's defence can affect a game..and influence a game's outcome..

I can only imagine .. in the Playoffs , how that helps..

There's a reason why those Indiana teams were contenders and went deep in the Eastern Conference.
Prediction
Spurs in 7. Parker MVP. Lebron 6-17fg, 18pt, 8reb, 5 asst in game 7 LOSS.
The Heat will choke!
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#42 » by J-Roc » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:06 pm

appel wrote:
J-Roc wrote:
appel wrote:
Only very good players can, he's

Maybe saying the same thing, but only players who are actually good at D can play good at D even when their shot isn't falling.

Obviously a player that can't play good D isn't a very good player
Maybe a great scorer, maybe a good (or half) player but not a very good player
JO is a VGP

Just pointing out that sometimes when CB's shot is not falling, we hear the commentator say that CB needs to "bring it" on the defensive end and not let his offense affect him. But we're dreaming if we think CB or any player can just pick up their intensity when their shot isn't falling.

Either you know what you're doing defensively or you don't. You have the ability or you don't.

Interesting, based on your defintion of a very good player, CB isn't a very good player.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#43 » by YogiStewart » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:10 pm

SilentH wrote:Like Jermaine said last night, this is the closest thing to a playoff game.

JO is meant for playoff games, just his presence alone might be enough for us to win games down the stretch in crunch time.

I'm praying we get to the playoffs now!

i also pray that the Raptors make it into the playoffs.

nothing beats putting down $1200 for playoff tickets, only to have Toronto smoked in the first round.

good times....
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#44 » by YogiStewart » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:15 pm

its funny how divided this board is.

you have those posters who can't see that JO pretty much HAS to go. there is zero synergy when he and Bosh are on the floor. he is injury prone. and you don't build around a guy whose contract expires in 2010. and you go into 2009-10 with pretty much the same lineup - same flaws, same strengths.

these same posters also want Bosh gone because they think JO is the Man. if your Man misses 30-40% of the season, you are a lot closer to Washington than you are to Boston.
appel
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#45 » by appel » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:20 pm

J-Roc wrote:
appel wrote:Obviously a player that can't play good D isn't a very good player
Maybe a great scorer, maybe a good (or half) player but not a very good player
JO is a VGP

Just pointing out that sometimes when CB's shot is not falling, we hear the commentator say that CB needs to "bring it" on the defensive end and not let his offense affect him. But we're dreaming if we think CB or any player can just pick up their intensity when their shot isn't falling.

Either you know what you're doing defensively or you don't. You have the ability or you don't.

Interesting, based on your defintion of a very good player, CB isn't a very good player.

Exactly
Looking at the stars KG is, TD is, JO is, Wade is, LBJ is, Kobe is, CP3 is, Manu is, Melo isn't,Bosh isn't
I hope Mago will be, he's trying (working hard on D when shot isn't going)
But it's only my opinion
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#46 » by J-Roc » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:24 pm

YogiStewart wrote:its funny how divided this board is.

you have those posters who can't see that JO pretty much HAS to go. there is zero synergy when he and Bosh are on the floor. he is injury prone. and you don't build around a guy whose contract expires in 2010. and you go into 2009-10 with pretty much the same lineup - same flaws, same strengths.

these same posters also want Bosh gone because they think JO is the Man. if your Man misses 30-40% of the season, you are a lot closer to Washington than you are to Boston.

The idea is not the trade away CB because JO is "the man". The idea is to trade CB for "the man". Just an idea. And anything less than a legit star is not worth it.
sl64
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#47 » by sl64 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:15 pm

People get caught up in how JO plays in individual games and forget about the big picture. Is JO are our only traditional big man? Is he the only tough guy on this team? Yeah, of course. But he takes up 40% of our payroll. Keeping JO means essentially keeping this year's roster together, unless you want to trade Bosh or Bargs, which would probably be something of a lateral move. This team doesn't need toughness or defence... it needs more TALENT, at both ends of the court... which means we need to rebuild. Do you really want to watch this same team for another year?
Here's the thing about Chris Bosh ... If Joey Graham had longer arms, he'd be just as effective at PF." --SuigintouEV
radeonboy
Analyst
And1: 3,704

Post#48 » by radeonboy » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:52 pm

Jermaine Oneal is the only tough guy on the Raptors. All else are softies, including Bosh. We should keep Oneal, dealing him away for someone like Marion would be a travesty because Marion is softer than Bargs.

BTW: I wish we had JO when he was in at his best. If I were a GM and Bosh and Jermaine we're in the draft, my choice would have to go to Jermaine. He is all-around better than Bosh.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#49 » by LLJ » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:02 pm

JO should be traded. That said, he is probably a better big man defender than Bosh still, and in their primes I would say JO is more important to his team overall from the evidence of their careers so far. But now JO is a declining overpaid cap filler, and as much as I like him, he just isn't going to get better.
vado
Analyst
And1: 2,172

Post#50 » by vado » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:17 pm

He played great even though his offense wasn't there, he still had a major impact. I like JO but he is injury prone and his contract really hinders the team. It will most likely be difficult to compete as long as JO has that big contract.
chargerxthirty
Sixth Man
And1: 794

Post#51 » by chargerxthirty » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:49 pm

we should trade bosh to portland for a huge package.
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#52 » by Southward1 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:00 pm

I heart JO, but his contract is too big to keep around if there are offers out there. I am however of the belief the raptors should go after him in the 2010 offseason when everybody major is signed up. If calderon, bargs, Bosh and the mysterious wing player are here, I would be opened to throw the mle at JO over a 2-3 year deal and play him off the bench as a 20-25 minute guy.
junot111
General Manager
And1: 2,817

Post#53 » by junot111 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:01 pm

First people love him, then hate him, now he is loved again

Return to Toronto Raptors