ImageImageImageImageImage

Portland Looking for Elite PG

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Re: Portland Looking for Elite PG 

Post#61 » by Gold Chain » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:21 pm

depaso+ wrote:
Reignman wrote:
double c wrote:Jose's turn to be under the bus this week. Just brutal.

Come on. yes, Portland was high on on him last season and offseason but please realize that when you lock up a decent PG to a reasonable contract and he is BYC, the trade is very hard to do.

Some of you cats need to think about how hard it is really is to pull of a trade in the NBA. This is not like playing NBA 2K9 in your step dad's condo. This is real life mutha-f*kas!!! :lol:

Nobody is going to trade for him now anyways because of his hammy problem. This offseason is the ideal time to move him.

And I'm getting tired of hearing about his "reasonable contract". The guy has a 5 / 45 contract but I don't see the impact of a $9 mil player in the actual games. If his play from last season is considered the bar (cus he has the injury excuse this year) then I'm going to go ahead and say we overpaid. Compare what he generates on offense and then subtract what he gives up on defense and if you believe he's a net positive, tell me if that's worth $9 mil.

Ohh, yes $9 M per year, with his putrid defense and his no impact offense... Nobody is going to give the Raptors something useful in return for this garbage this summer...

It is necesary that BC trade him now with JO...

Jose did not just forget how to play at a high level and surely he is not a useless point guard as some have stated. I put great faith in what i hear from people like Jack and Eric Smith and Jones and others who say that when they speak with scouts and Gm's and players around the league, they respect and believe Jose is a great point guard. We have some problems on this team, but with a few tweaks over the summer and maybe some creative trades and or signing, Calderon is a very nice piece to an Eastern team looking to make a second round birth. Jose at 9 million is quite okay with me and I do find that to be a reasonable rate for his play. But until he proves myself and others wrong (much like Bargnani) and shows he is worth the money, he will constantly be under the microscope from the Toronto faithful. I feel he will be a nice part of our future success.
wfnshow316
Sixth Man
And1: 14

Post#62 » by wfnshow316 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:51 pm

I am constantly amazed at some of the drama queens on this board that have decided that being a fan of a team means to take each player individual - scrutinize them and then immediately regard them as garbage - which then leads them to this forum and spew there viscous opinions around like they mean anything.

The point of the thread was that Portland has decided they don't need Amare right now - and that they would rather pursue an "elite" PG whatever that is. I can only name three elite PG's at this time; Chris Paul, Devon Williams, and Steve Nash (and maybe Chauncey Billups). Calderon and many other good PG's are in the next level - each has flaws - some of the prominent ones are Andre Miller, baron Davis, Devin Harris, Derrick Rose, Jason Kidd (but man is he sliding fast) - So who are they targeting - your guess is as good as mine - but Calderon does belong in the discussion. JC is Steve Nash lite - not quite as good as breakdown the D, not quite as good a passer, but probably a better shooter (although that is debatable). Both are equally bad at defense. So if Nash is an elite PG then JC might be the next Nash

At any rate it really isn't necessary to bash our players just because your own life is so boring that you need to incite an argument on realgm
an_also
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#63 » by an_also » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:59 pm

If portland is willing to give up on Bayless, i'd trade jose with the quickness. While bayless might not be a pure pg, the guy can straight up ball. He will end up being an explosive player in this league
andrew2good4u
Starter
And1: 104

Post#64 » by andrew2good4u » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:01 pm

an_also wrote:If portland is willing to give up on Bayless, i'd trade jose with the quickness. While bayless might not be a pure pg, the guy can straight up ball. He will end up being an explosive player in this league

Yup I'm in for a Bayless & filler for Calderon & Big Willy.

Then we get a vet to mentor both Bayless and Roko
Props to triplemke23
gangstaff
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#65 » by gangstaff » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:32 pm

ESPN's trade machine has been updated. Fancy interface.

I'd trade Jose to Portland for their young guys. Jose is a very good PG and I wanted to keep him over TJ, he's an excellent offensive player but his D is garbage. I think Ukic or Bayless could eventually become as good an all around player considering their size/athleticism.

Fernandez/Batum/Bayless/LaFrentz for Jose/Bargs/Parker.

We load up on youth (and forget about the 8th seed) and an expiring, Portland gets their PG plus another good(ish) young big. Bargs can be the first big off the bench behind Oden/LMA and they can still flip one of those 3 eventually if needed. Parker is an excellent 6th man type for their playoff run. They still keep their young core and only give up mid level draft pick guys. We hope that 2 of those 3 realize their potential.

Going forward we have filled our holes at all spots. Play Ukic/Bayless/Rudy/Batum/Joey/Hump/Jawai a lot of minutes the rest of the year.
TiKusDom
Banned User
And1: 117

Post#66 » by TiKusDom » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:57 pm

Rudy Frenandez + Bayless and maybe even throw in Sergio for Calderon and the Raptors have a sweet deal. The raptors dont need calderon to win, like they proved yesterday. They just need a solid pg who isnt a defensive pylon and who can pass the ball. Not hard eh? Calderon is replaceable we need depth. Trade him for Portlands youngsters.
EventHorizon
Assistant Coach
And1: 306

Post#67 » by EventHorizon » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:39 pm

Bayless is going to be a stud.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,209

Post#68 » by LLJ » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:47 pm

It has to be either Rudy or Roy. Since Roy is not available, I wouldn't mind Rudy (even though I don't think he's proven anything yet), although I do feel like Jose's been thrown to wolves by fans lately.

The more I think about it the more I like Portland as a trade partner. They're young, have a surplus of guys who play some positions we want, and we should make sure we pick the best "backups to Roy" that we can get.
depaso+
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#69 » by depaso+ » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:00 pm

TiKusDom wrote:Rudy Frenandez + Bayless and maybe even throw in Sergio for Calderon and the Raptors have a sweet deal. The raptors dont need calderon to win, like they proved yesterday. They just need a solid pg who isnt a defensive pylon and who can pass the ball. Not hard eh? Calderon is replaceable we need depth. Trade him for Portlands youngsters.

Of course, like they proved yesterday The raptors only need a PG who puts 22 Pts (9/13) every night... Not hard, not. :roll:
Clutch Carter
RealGM
And1: 71,878

Post#70 » by Clutch Carter » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:32 pm

Jose, when healthy, is a very good PG. Everybody now forgets the great games he's had this year when he's been healthy?

Jose was *never* the problem with this team.
#FreeLRJ Offical 1,000,000 post crew:
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,aRapsFan4eva,KozRJC,MAS,Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin

GD13
Pro Prospect
And1: 98

Post#71 » by GD13 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:46 pm

BC's not gonna trade Jose...
RockTHECasbah
Lead Assistant
And1: 10

Post#72 » by RockTHECasbah » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:59 pm

I would reluctantly do Roko + Graham for Oden
Know anyone who is disabled? has an addiction?
HandyTax - Your Canadian Disability Tax Credit Consultants
http://www.handytax.ca
Superboy316KING
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#73 » by Superboy316KING » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:02 pm

GD13 wrote:BC's not gonna trade Jose...

He should. Maybe we can get Travis Outlaw and Bayless.
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#74 » by supersub15 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:11 pm

isyed
Starter
And1: 313

Post#75 » by isyed » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:23 pm

supersub15 wrote:http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=dafryz

Interesting but we would have no experienced PG to lead the team. If a solid wing is coming back in a JO trade then i might do that.

Interesting trade nevertheless. Pryzbilla is a solid big to play behind Bosh and Bargs. Bellineli and Randolf are solid players at the wing. Young but solid.
_venom_
Assistant Coach
And1: 100

Post#76 » by _venom_ » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:26 pm

I don't see the Blazers trading away Pryzbilla with Oden's history of injury problems and that simple fact that Pryzbilla has played better than Oden this season.
Jounster
Banned User

Post#77 » by Jounster » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:28 pm

id do that in a heartbeat
isyed
Starter
And1: 313

Post#78 » by isyed » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:33 pm

I would much rather do this with our first rounder going their way:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachi ... eId=d3v3t5
YKYW
Junior

Post#79 » by YKYW » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:34 pm

isyed wrote:I would much rather do this with our first rounder going their way:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachi ... eId=d3v3t5

Jose for Gilbert and Caron effectively as JO and Thomas are gone next year...can't see them doing that even with our pick but dare to dream!

Return to Toronto Raptors