ImageImageImageImageImage

Stat of the day: Taking the charge

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Stat of the day: Taking the charge 

Post#1 » by supersub15 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:15 pm

Team charges taken:
Raptors total charges taken so far this season: 117
Raptors charges taken per game: 2.12

Individual charges taken:

Individual total charges taken:
Jermaine O'Neal: 25
Anthony Parker: 18
Jose Calderon: 16
Andrea Bargnani: 16
Chris Bosh: 14
Joey Graham: 9
Kris Humphries:5
Jamario Moon: 5
Roko Ukic: 4
Jason Kapono: 3
Will Solomon: 1
Hassan Adams: 1

Individual charges taken per 100 minutes played:
Jermaine O'Neal: 2.055
Kris Humphries: 1.886
Jose Calderon: 1.131
Anthony Parker: 1.036
Andrea Bargnani: 0.956
Joey Graham: 0.845
Roko Ukic: 0.719
Chris Bosh: 0.718
Jamario Moon: 0.362
Jason Kapono: 0.235
Will Solomon: 0.183
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,150

Re: Stat of the day: Taking the charge 

Post#2 » by The Duke » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:16 pm

this is a sad day
underdog33
Lead Assistant
And1: 355

Post#3 » by underdog33 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:16 pm

where do the raps (team/individual) rank as far as the league leaders?
O'neal and Moon 4 Life
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by supersub15 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:19 pm

underdog33 wrote:where do the raps (team/individual) rank as far as the league leaders?

Don't know. Until 82games.com do their annual rankings, I have to go by my own research concerning the Raps only.
appel
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by appel » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:27 pm

Can you find the same individual stats for the last year?
Mascot
Lead Assistant
And1: 972

Post#6 » by Mascot » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:27 pm

can u get one done for who makes the most charges?

has to be Joey
Korr
Veteran
And1: 1,367

Post#7 » by Korr » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:44 pm

bosh should have way more charges than that
RonaldArtest
General Manager
And1: 12,531

Post#8 » by RonaldArtest » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:55 pm

I bet JK's 3 were from him falling down and the refs feeling sorry for him.
Lauzy Lau
Junior
And1: 28

Post#9 » by Lauzy Lau » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:05 pm

Will Soloman is a defensive juggernaut. His numbers are Shane Battier like.
youngLion
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#10 » by youngLion » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:08 pm

This are good numbers to have, but I don't really know what to make of them without a point of reference to other teams. Naturally I'm inclined to suspect that the Raptors are towards the basement in this category.

Even though JON leads the team in this category i still think the team's defense would be better with Marion out on the perimeter. Where do you come out on this SS?
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by supersub15 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:32 pm

youngLion wrote:This are good numbers to have, but I don't really know what to make of them without a point of reference to other teams. Naturally I'm inclined to suspect that the Raptors are towards the basement in this category.

Even though JON leads the team in this category i still think the team's defense would be better with Marion out on the perimeter. Where do you come out on this SS?

Last year, O'Neal (despite playing injured) averaged 3.73 charges taken per 100 minutes. (45 total charges)

Last year, Marion (with both Miami and Phoenix) averaged 0.172 charges taken per 100 minutes (4 total charges).

You do the math.
appel
Banned User

Post#12 » by appel » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:35 pm

supersub15 wrote:
youngLion wrote:This are good numbers to have, but I don't really know what to make of them without a point of reference to other teams. Naturally I'm inclined to suspect that the Raptors are towards the basement in this category.

Last year, O'Neal (despite playing injured) averaged 3.73 charges taken per 100 minutes. (45 total charges)

Last year, Marion (with both Miami and Phoenix) averaged 0.172 charges taken per 100 minutes (4 total charges).

You do the math.

And Andrea?
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#13 » by Alfred » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:38 pm

Flopping owns.
youngLion
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#14 » by youngLion » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:38 pm

supersub15 wrote:

You do the math.

Oh I wasn't suggesting that Marion would take more charges than O'Neal by any stretch, but as a whole I think the team defense would be better with Marion guarding the opposing team's best wing player on the perimeter.

It's been great to have O'Neal as that intimidator in the post. I marvelled at his presence for a long time at the beginning of the season because it seemed like this team had never had a real centre. Still, I think the Raptors need somebody who can actually prevent penetration to the paint more than they need O'Neal in the middle.
tmoney34
Senior
And1: 6

Post#15 » by tmoney34 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:39 pm

I think it all comes to the willingness to sacrifice your body to make a play on the defensive end and help out your team.

I'm glad to see some guys on this team willing to do that to get a stop.

Nothing needs to be said about JO because we knew his defence was about average when he got here (9 blocks against LA and 6 last night plus the charges he takes).

I'm glad to see Bargs starting to take the mentality also. He is out there setting picks and using his body and size to make it easier out there for his teammates. The fact that he is starting to get in the right position to draw charges (like the one on the baseline last night when he was guarding George Hill I think), is really encouraging.
Sandy Gold: "Have you ever waxed?"

Andrea Bargnani: "Uhh remove hair? No, no, no. For what? No, no, no, never. I don't have alot of hair, no. I don't have like hair on the shoulders so I'm cool."

:bowdown:
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#16 » by J-Roc » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:40 pm

Devlin said last night that JO must lead the league in charges.
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,380

Post#17 » by Courtside » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:04 pm

While Marion is very low in terms of charges taken, which is somewhat disappointing, I don't think it can be used as a be all, end all gauge of his defense. Not even close.

Taking charges is an important defensive tool, but if it was an accurate measure of who is best defensively - Jose Calderon would be our 3rd best defender - which we all know to be completely untrue.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,181

Post#18 » by djsunyc » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:07 pm

the charge is sometimes better than a blocked shot b/c it guarantees you possession of the ball...it's a lost art and requires quick thinking on the court.
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by supersub15 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:09 pm

Courtside wrote:While Marion is very low in terms of charges taken, which is somewhat disappointing, I don't think it can be used as a be all, end all gauge of his defense. Not even close.

Taking charges is an important defensive tool, but if it was an accurate measure of who is best defensively - Jose Calderon would be our 3rd best defender - which we all know to be completely untrue.

Absolutely. But I'm against the Marion trade, so I have to point out the awesomeness of O'Neal defensively, as compared to Marion. Combine the blocks, the charges, the altered shots, the post defense, and we are replacing a stud with somebody who at best right now, is a notch above Jamario Moon.

If you think San Antonio had a relatively easy time scoring in the paint last night, wait until it's Bosh and Bargnani holding the fort down. Those 70-78 losses to Memphis are going to be a "good" memory.
appel
Banned User

Post#20 » by appel » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:37 pm

supersub15 wrote:
Courtside wrote:While Marion is very low in terms of charges taken, which is somewhat disappointing, I don't think it can be used as a be all, end all gauge of his defense. Not even close.

Absolutely. But I'm against the Marion trade, so I have to point out the awesomeness of O'Neal defensively, as compared to Marion. Combine the blocks, the charges, the altered shots, the post defense, and we are replacing a stud with somebody who at best right now, is a notch above Jamario Moon.

If you think San Antonio had a relatively easy time scoring in the paint last night, wait until it's Bosh and Bargnani holding the fort down. Those 70-78 losses to Memphis are going to be a "good" memory.

Please, find the individual Mago's stats in the next year
Charges every 100 min

Return to Toronto Raptors