ImageImageImageImageImage

Relax about the 1st round pick

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

JN
RealGM
And1: 9,923

Re: Relax about the 1st round pick 

Post#41 » by JN » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:16 pm

Alfred wrote:Rasho, TJ Ford and 2 first round picks for Marcus Banks and slightly more capspace.

Minimal capspace under the salary cap if we let Marion walk... which is likely not much more then the MLE anyway... and if your under the salary cap line, you can't then use the MLE later. So that "capspace" is not that valuable.

So who wins. MLSE - 3M of cash, lower payroll next year, and can pay second rounders and veteran minimums less then they would future first rounders!!
Duffman100
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 62,790

Post#42 » by Duffman100 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:17 pm

This feels like the Lamond Murray pick trade all over again....
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,971

Post#43 » by MEDIC » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:17 pm

I guess this means that we can't trade a future 1st rounder until this one goes to Miami.

Kind of kills us a little from an asset perspective in the next little while.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
dillio
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,069

Post#44 » by dillio » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:17 pm

Jounster wrote:thats BCs thing, which I do not agree with, IF he however wanted to buy a 1st round draft pick MLSE will not stop him, point is the option is there

Of course they would stop him! It's their money! Jesus Christ man, you obviously haven't been around the Leafs and Raptors long enough to know how MLSE operates.
Dennis P
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#45 » by Dennis P » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:18 pm

okay I take it all back..... The pick is only protected till 2010. awful
Lane1974
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25

Post#46 » by Lane1974 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:18 pm

In addition, the Heat also will receive a future first-round pick from the Raptors.

According to a party with the details of the deal, the Heat will receive a first-round pick from Toronto in 2010, unless that pick is among the first 14 (lottery) selections.

Should Toronto be in the draft lottery in 2010, in essence not make next season's playoffs, the Heat then would receive a 2010 second-round pick from the Raptors.

The first-round pick then would be sent to the Heat in any year, from 2011 through 2014 that it is not among the first 14 selections (the next year Toronto makes the playoffs).

Should the Heat not get the first-round pick by 2014, it then would receive a 2015 first-round pick from the Raptors.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl- ... 0464.story
Cyrus
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 3,472

Post#47 » by Cyrus » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:19 pm

The question is with the 3 million, can he pick up as good of a first as the one we'll likely give up...whenever we do make the playoffs.

If it's a trade off, why make the deal (trading a future first for cash) anyways?

I'm sure BC could have traded, if he wanted to in this off season or any other, a future first for mid-late first anyways.

So question is why?
dillio
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,069

Post#48 » by dillio » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:20 pm

Cyrus wrote:The question is with the 3 million, can he pick up as good of a first as the one we'll likely give up...whenever we do make the playoffs.

If it's a trade off, why make the deal (trading a future first for cash) anyways?

I'm sure BC could have traded, if he wanted to in this off season or any other, a future first for mid-late first anyways.

So question is why?

I truly think it's for the money. We clearly gave away more assets than we received.
pspot
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#49 » by pspot » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:21 pm

Hendrix wrote:If the whole intention was to buy a pick, then why wouldn;t Miami just give us their pick, and then lt them worry about buying a draft pick? MLSE could very well just pocket this $3 million.

Miami doesn't own thier pick this year, so if BC wanted a pick this was the compromise i guess
nm
Tommy Gun
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#50 » by Tommy Gun » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:21 pm

This assumes that the money is earmarked solely for the purpose of purchasing a draft pick
Jounster
Banned User

Post#51 » by Jounster » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:22 pm

dillio wrote:
Jounster wrote:thats BCs thing, which I do not agree with, IF he however wanted to buy a 1st round draft pick MLSE will not stop him, point is the option is there

Of course they would stop him! It's their money! Jesus Christ man, you obviously haven't been around the Leafs and Raptors long enough to know how MLSE operates.

stop being ignorant, the raptors have one of the biggest payrolls in the entire league, and are you really going to bring up the point that the leafs havent spent money? please open your eyes and take your personal agenda somewhere else

I dont really understand how someone is arguing against ownership when their team is in the top 8 in spending in the league, and they have never stopped all of their horrific GMs from giving out some of the worst contracts in nba history
Jounster
Banned User

Post#52 » by Jounster » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:23 pm

"
Should Toronto be in the draft lottery in 2010, in essence not make next season's playoffs, the Heat then would receive a 2010 second-round pick from the Raptors."

even more of a reason for the fans to relax
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#53 » by hsb » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:23 pm

Cyrus wrote:The question is with the 3 million, can he pick up as good of a first as the one we'll likely give up...whenever we do make the playoffs.

So question is why?

His bosses wanted money. Maybe he wanted to cover some of Sam's contract because he needs to spend money on a expensive coach for next year?

We wont know until something happens.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
CarpetMan500
Junior
And1: 55

Post#54 » by CarpetMan500 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:25 pm

Jounster wrote:"
Should Toronto be in the draft lottery in 2010, in essence not make next season's playoffs, the Heat then would receive a 2010 second-round pick from the Raptors."

So we should relax because we are in addition sending them a second round pick if we don't make the playoffs in the next two years?
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,603

Post#55 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:25 pm

Not really, a 1st is still owed, it's just there's also a 2nd now, if the Raps don't make the playoffs next year.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
raptorsfan1995
Junior
And1: 1

Post#56 » by raptorsfan1995 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:25 pm

Alfred wrote:I'm sorry, but giving up a first round pick makes this deal even more terrible. It's yet another concession that we needed to make in order to make an already lopsided deal go through.

Most likely with how our team is constructed we will be picking from 15-19 if we were to make the playoffs, which means that we're giving up a mid-rounder (meaning the pick is actually pretty valuable).

Just a brutal trade.

Whats up with everyone saying, BC is being patient because he doesnt give in easily...I can see Riley has a nice thick Cuban in his mouth and chukkling. F**k man BANKS.? I have to say that everytime in every thread I write in.... :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,603

Post#57 » by Fairview4Life » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:25 pm

CarpetMan500 wrote:

So we should relax because we are in addition sending them a second round pick if we don't make the playoffs in the next two years?

Only next year. The Raps keep the pick this year no matter what apparently.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
Phenomenologist
Veteran
And1: 107

Post#58 » by Phenomenologist » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:25 pm

Read the next line, genius. What this basically means is that, assuming things go as is overwhelmingly likely, we give a first AND a second. Yeah, I'm much more relaxed.
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#59 » by Dennis P » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:26 pm

dillio wrote:

So question is why?

I truly think it's for the money. We clearly gave away more assets than we received.

So they are trying to build a team for 09 to entice Chris to stay then. Assuming Marion works out at the sf position meaning he rebounds the basketball and scores 11ppg, we could probably sign him to a 3yr deal for about 8 million and still have room under the cap to go after another tier two scorer.
pspot
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#60 » by pspot » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:26 pm

the assumption is that MLSE would not give BC the money to buy a pick in previous years so you assume that BC went out and got his own funding to do what he wants with it

we know he has free reign of this team and what he does with its assets. $3 Million IMO is included as that
nm

Return to Toronto Raptors