ImageImageImageImageImage

Now that the trade is official

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Now that the trade is official 

Post#1 » by timdunkit » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:34 pm

I had posted this a while ago ... Now that the trade is official, here is a salary cap perspective of how the Raptors look like going into the offseason ...

* Edit post
* Report this post

2009 or 2010? A Salary Cap Perspective

Postby timdunkit on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:56 pm
Allright, so been a Raptors fan I have decided to see what the Raps can do in the future. There are pretty much 2 options 1 is trading JO for Marion + banks and make a run at 2009 or let JO expire and make a run at 2010. I want to see which option is actually better for us through the Salary Cap perspective. So I will begin with 2009 (much closer). A little background info:
Now before I post what I have said I will like to explain a few things to people who are not as informed on the CBA. The Salary cap restricts teams in signing players. Teams can only resign there own guys if they are over the capspace because they own there rights. To sign other free agents, teams must be under the cap to sign them. Now when a team has a free agent, he does not count against the capspace. However, as long as the team holds that players rights, he does count against the team spending of cap, something the NBA called "free agent amount" or caphold. This amount tends to be around the same amount as the the players earning. A team can remove this by either renouncing the free agent and losing his rights or by signing him to a new contract and the new contract will go against the cap or if the player signs somewhere else. More info about Salary cap is found here: http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q14

In 2009 if the trade is made, the raptors would look like this:

Chris Bosh: 15.8 mill
Jose: 8.2 mill
Kapono: 6.2 mill
Andrea Bargnani: 6.5 mill
Marcus Banks: 4.7 mill
Ukic: 1.4 mill
Jawai: 0.7 mill
Humphries: 3.2 mill

Total Salary: 46.7 mill over 8 guys 12.3 mill capspace

To get the capspace the raptors would have the following free agents and have to renounce them all:

Joey Graham: 2.5 mill
Marion: 17 mill
AP: 4.6 mill
Voskul:0.7 mill
Moon: 0.7 mill
Will Solomon: 0.9
Delfino: 3 mill (I am not sure how much he holds but just for sakes I have written him down)

The raptors would have 12.3 mill to spend if they renounced there guys. Now certain guys are cheap, like Moon and Voshkul is a min player. Delfino can be brought back and we also have our 2009 pick. We can go after 1 of the 6 free agents (Ben Gordon, Hedo, Artest, Marion, Marvin, Odom). Marion would be the prefered option because he would get a contract extention for much cheaper (creating room between salary and tax threshold) and we wouldn't have to renounce some of our role players since we own Marion rights and can go over the salary cap to sign him. To go after other free agents we have to renounce some of these guy (Marion first) and then offer contracts. The team though not contender, has more assets. Also add the 2009 pick and the team future salary wise is pretty good.
boshjonesford
Banned User
And1: 6

Re: Now that the trade is official 

Post#2 » by boshjonesford » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:43 pm

We got scamed in that deal, Moon is a poor mans Marion and watch Miami could get a sick player in return for JO next summer.

Banks contract so ****, we got ripped of hard we should have waited till the summer or atleast got another player (a big) back
boshjonesford
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#3 » by boshjonesford » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:07 pm

no all stars at the free agency class ... ah this sucks we could have just traded JO in the summer, teams would have gave us some sick deals
gamble05
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#4 » by gamble05 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:19 pm

why is everyone going crazy if marion doesnt stay with us i smell a sign and trade i dun see marion jus walkin out like that

Return to Toronto Raptors