ImageImageImageImageImage

Fan 590 Caller Reactions

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

RapsVC15
RealGM
And1: 424

Re: Fan 590 Caller Reactions 

Post#41 » by RapsVC15 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:33 pm

Death Knight wrote:The people who are positive, especially Bob McCowan, clearly don't understand this trade. This trade is not about JO and Marion. It's about Marcus Banks and the 1st round pick. I was all for a straight up swap of JO and Marion (works in the trade checker without the need to include any other players and principles), but Banks and the 1st rounder is the breaking point. It made this a terrible deal.

Some people talk about cap space this offseason, but they fail to realize that Marcus Banks cuts into that capspace. People, including myself have done the math a while back, and the Raptors don't have as much capspace as uninformed people think.

I expect Jason Kapono to be traded to offset the bad contract of Marcus Banks. If, not this is a terrible deal by all counts.

Seriously, we're talking 23 million dollars here.

For a team to pay a guy 23 million, there has to be extra sweeteners on the table and if that includes a protected first rounder (in all likely hood will probably be in the 18-21 range, meh) and taking on Banks 4.5 million per, then so be it.

Yeah sure he's an expiring, but at the end of the day its going to cost Miami 23 huge big ones and considering the economy were in, that hurts.
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#42 » by Death Knight » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:40 pm

TJ11 wrote:
Death Knight wrote:The people who are positive, especially Bob McCowan, clearly don't understand this trade. This trade is not about JO and Marion. It's about Marcus Banks and the 1st round pick. I was all for a straight up swap of JO and Marion (works in the trade checker without the need to include any other players and principles), but Banks and the 1st rounder is the breaking point. It made this a terrible deal.

Some people talk about cap space this offseason, but they fail to realize that Marcus Banks cuts into that capspace. People, including myself have done the math a while back, and the Raptors don't have as much capspace as uninformed people think.

I expect Jason Kapono to be traded to offset the bad contract of Marcus Banks. If, not this is a terrible deal by all counts.

Seriously, we're talking 23 million dollars here.

For a team to pay a guy 23 million, there has to be extra sweeteners on the table and if that includes a protected first rounder (in all likely hood will probably be in the 18-21 range, meh) and taking on Banks 4.5 million per, then so be it.

Yeah sure he's an expiring, but at the end of the day its going to cost Miami 23 huge big ones and considering the economy were in, that hurts.

Hurts what? Miami got exactly what they wanted. The fact that they were shopping Marion ever since they got him for Shaq clearly shows that they don't want capspace in 2009. They want it in 2010. As a result, Miami was willing to absorb or pay any amount in 2009 as long as it didn't go past 2010.

$3 million is nothing compared to the trade exception that Miami gets in this deal. And those $3 million could just end up in MLSE's pocket and not be used for anything.

The Marion deal was to get capspace this offseason. Well how does it make sense to get back Marcus Banks only to cut into that space? That defeats the whole purpose of getting capspace.
kmsmith5
Junior
And1: 0

Post#43 » by kmsmith5 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:02 pm

The Marion deal was to get capspace this offseason. Well how does it make sense to get back Marcus Banks only to cut into that space? That defeats the whole purpose of getting capspace.

It makes sense because it's better than no cap space at all. I think this deal was done before the deadline because there's another trade coming.
bakafool
RealGM
And1: 4,651

Post#44 » by bakafool » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:05 pm

I don't know what to make of this deal. It's more a short term move to me. I'm more interested in what BC actually has planned to ensure long term success.
Noooo!!! Not Possible! Not Possible! - Comcast commentator after the shot by Mo Peterson.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#45 » by J-Roc » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:05 pm

We absolutely needed to make a trade for a wing. Even if for 20 games, we can find out if any of these core pieces will work, moving forward. If we kept JO, we'd be guessing at what to do next.
Carnage
Starter
And1: 1

Post#46 » by Carnage » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:09 pm

kmsmith5 wrote:

It makes sense because it's better than no cap space at all. I think this deal was done before the deadline because there's another trade coming.

If there isn't another trade, then what is your opinion of this trade? What other assets do we have?
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#47 » by J-Roc » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:11 pm

This was a poor trade for those who thought CB should have been traded. But since BC decided to keep CB, we have to try and win next year, so any capspace is good capspace.
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,380

Post#48 » by Courtside » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:13 pm

nizaam wrote:I'm officially not a raptor fan anymore till BC leaves

Good. Can you spare us the kneejerk pronouncements and go into hiding from RealGM also? Thanks.
Death Knight
RealGM

Post#49 » by Death Knight » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:23 pm

J-Roc wrote:

We absolutely needed to make a trade for a wing. Even if for 20 games, we can find out if any of these core pieces will work, moving forward. If we kept JO, we'd be guessing at what to do next.

Absolutely. I already said, even weeks back that I like a JO and Marion Swap, but not with Marcus Banks as part of the deal. But now it's more than just taking on Banks, Raptors also have to throw in a conditional draft pick? :nonono:

How is this limited amount of capspace going to improve the team? Things will improve, but not by much.
Carnage
Starter

Post#50 » by Carnage » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:25 pm

J-Roc wrote:This was a poor trade for those who thought CB should have been traded. But since BC decided to keep CB, we have to try and win next year, so any capspace is good capspace.

Perfectly stated J-Roc. Unfortunately I fall into the boat where I believe the only method in which we can acheive true success is by trading Bosh or Bargnani. This deal only decreases the chance of that ever happening.

:sigh:
Carnage
Starter

Post#51 » by Carnage » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:26 pm

Death Knight wrote:
J-Roc wrote:

Absolutely. I already said, even weeks back that I like a JO and Marion Swap, but not with Marcus Banks as part of the deal. But now it's more than just taking on Banks, Raptors also have to throw in a conditional draft pick? :nonono:

Plural, conditional draft picks because sure as daylight we won't be making the playoffs next year.
Courtside
RealGM
And1: 12,380

Post#52 » by Courtside » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:30 pm

Headliner wrote:Well then finish out the terrible season, get a good draft pick, draft a stud SG. And trade J.O when is value is sky high, as a 20 mill expiring contract. Guess who will want him then... almost EVERYBODY!!

You keep saying this as if it is an absolute but I can't agree.

JO is not completely healthy and any further injury could leave US stuck with him next year. How is his value suddenly sky high next year when many teams will be trying to build rosters with lower overall payrolls, and woudl have great difficulty using more than a 3rd of it on JO, who may or may not be healthy? How is a $23 mil expiring suddenly so easy to trade for?

You say "almost EVERYBODY" will want him, but I'll bet you would have a hard time putting even 2 realistic proposals together for the board to read, let alone many. I'd happy to have you change my mind, but simply claiming something without supporting proposals sound awful Mustard like.

Headliner wrote:Instead we give in to demands and give them a first, a second and Moon for 3 mill so MLSE executives can get some coin back in their pockets, and have vibrating chairs.

BC will now have to over pay Marion to save face. It's a disaster.

Miami was the only team in play and in all probability, this deal is better than any available come summer (if JO remains healthy). This deal is done for more than just financial reasons (ie: see what an upper tier wing can do alongside Bosh and Bargnani), but basically JO's salary became a huge impediment to any other realistic plans or proposals and getting started now, puts the Raptors in a proactive mode since the JO deal is out of the way and Toronto received the single biggest expiring contract currently on the market - effectively taking it away from other teams. This deal now means that someone else will have less flexibility this summer - maybe BC knows which one or two teams that could be and beat them to the punch. Why let New Jersey or Milwaukee or Chicago create more flexibility?
Death Knight
RealGM

Post#53 » by Death Knight » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:31 pm

Carnage wrote:Plural, conditional draft picks because sure as daylight we won't be making the playoffs next year.

I don't care for that 2nd round pick. Unless the Raptors become big time contenders and a top 10 team in the NBA, that 1st rounder will be in the teens. If teams do a good job of scouting, you can get a player with potential.
CPT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,953

Post#54 » by CPT » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:39 pm

MTLraptorFan wrote:Lets say BC signs marion to a 10 million contract and then we go out and snatch a John Salmons. Add our first round pick to the discussion and BC picks up a bigman to backup bargs and bosh. Thats a solid roster dude. Im sure bosh would appreciate that roster and would sign back with us.

LOL

1. That roster wouldn't be that good.

2. "BC picks up a bigman." There's a lot of variation there. If he picks up a Varejao-level guy, it's a solid roster (dude). If he picks up another Jake Voskhul....not so much.

3. I like how we randomly get John Salmons for nothing.
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#55 » by sule » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:43 pm

With the potential cap space, how do we know BC won't make a Camby-type trade where we send someone like Kapono to a team looking to shed salary for a higher-end player who fits in our salary structure?
Deadpool Raptor
Bench Warmer
And1: 872

Post#56 » by Deadpool Raptor » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:17 am

Courtside wrote:
Headliner wrote:Well then finish out the terrible season, get a good draft pick, draft a stud SG. And trade J.O when is value is sky high, as a 20 mill expiring contract. Guess who will want him then... almost EVERYBODY!!

You keep saying this as if it is an absolute but I can't agree.

JO is not completely healthy and any further injury could leave US stuck with him next year. How is his value suddenly sky high next year when many teams will be trying to build rosters with lower overall payrolls, and woudl have great difficulty using more than a 3rd of it on JO, who may or may not be healthy? How is a $23 mil expiring suddenly so easy to trade for?

You say "almost EVERYBODY" will want him, but I'll bet you would have a hard time putting even 2 realistic proposals together for the board to read, let alone many. I'd happy to have you change my mind, but simply claiming something without supporting proposals sound awful Mustard like.

Headliner wrote:Instead we give in to demands and give them a first, a second and Moon for 3 mill so MLSE executives can get some coin back in their pockets, and have vibrating chairs.

BC will now have to over pay Marion to save face. It's a disaster.

Miami was the only team in play and in all probability, this deal is better than any available come summer (if JO remains healthy). This deal is done for more than just financial reasons (ie: see what an upper tier wing can do alongside Bosh and Bargnani), but basically JO's salary became a huge impediment to any other realistic plans or proposals and getting started now, puts the Raptors in a proactive mode since the JO deal is out of the way and Toronto received the single biggest expiring contract currently on the market - effectively taking it away from other teams. This deal now means that someone else will have less flexibility this summer - maybe BC knows which one or two teams that could be and beat them to the punch. Why let New Jersey or Milwaukee or Chicago create more flexibility?

It's wild because people don't realize that 23 mill is 1/3 of an entire team... plus people want to add in Kapono in a trade too... wild...
RomaniaLuvTR
Head Coach
And1: 1,029

Post#57 » by RomaniaLuvTR » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:37 am

sh00n wrote:
nizaam wrote:I'm officially not a raptor fan anymore till BC leaves

Well, at least this trade will filter the real fans.

yeah...and the good thing is bryan will be here many years from now so it`s going to be tough for his haters
chsh22
Analyst

Post#58 » by chsh22 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:37 am

I kinda saw us being forced into dealing with Miami or nobody the moment Phoenix was rumoured to be shopping Amare. Why grab JO when you can have Amare? Miami's the only team that couldn't work a deal that Phoenix would take.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:If you were going to give the raps board an enema, you'd stick the tube in this thread.

Return to Toronto Raptors