ImageImageImageImageImage

Our SG of The Future Is Playing Today

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

_MidNight_
RealGM
And1: 7,269

Re: Our SG of The Future Is Playing Today 

Post#21 » by _MidNight_ » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:28 pm

I don't care too much for Henderson, I need a guy who can punish other team's defense at the 2, someone with serious handles who'll be able to penetrate at will. Tyreke Evans is the guy I would go after, with our schedule being so easy down the stretch he should still be on the board by the time we're up to pick.

Draftexpress have him at 18. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3z5Mzq_DUk
SanJoseGrind
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#22 » by SanJoseGrind » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:31 pm

henderson is garbage, hes just gettin by on his athleticism which wont work in the nba

id even prefer jodie meeks who can light up scoreboards
Griff83
Assistant Coach
And1: 186

Post#23 » by Griff83 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:35 pm

Tyreke evans is better then both Henderson and Turner but with the way he continues to play we might not even have a chance at him. Saw Jodie Meeks for the first time yesterday and hes damn impressive. If he was playing in the Big East or ACC this season his stock would be alot higher then it currently is.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#24 » by Jakay » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:37 pm

springbreak wrote:Just Say No to Duke.

Also - "future dunk contest winner" is not something that scouts look for.

Oh what do you know? It's just as important as when a future employer looks at my resume and sees "exceptional Minesweeper skills" in bold.
Carlos Rogers
Banned User

Post#25 » by Carlos Rogers » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:41 pm

You guys realize odds are Tyreke Evans and Turner aren't declaring for this years draft right?
sleezy101
Freshman

Post#26 » by sleezy101 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:43 pm

Anyone know if Jodie Meeks is declaring? This guy is beasting it this year
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#27 » by dagger » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:48 pm

Why are we suddenly drafting for need? Remember the 2004 draft when we drafted for need?

There are a number of ways to get a shooting guard.

1. Trade Bosh - if CB has indicated he's leaving, trade him on draft night for a pick and a SG (and whatever filler).

2. Trade Bargnani - same scenario as #1 but with a smaller return

3. Trade shorter contracts for longer

4. Sign a SG with the MLE

In any of these scenarios, we'd draft BPA or if we went for need, we'd probably go big.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,952

Post#28 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:24 pm

Carlos Rogers wrote:You guys realize odds are Tyreke Evans and Turner aren't declaring for this years draft right?

Source? It's too early to tell who will declare and who won't, but it's rare for a player with lottery potential to turn it down. When you consider the state of the economy I'm sure these kids will all take guaranteed $ over the chance to make a little more by waiting a year.
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#29 » by Hendrix » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:27 pm

dagger wrote:Why are we suddenly drafting for need? Remember the 2004 draft when we drafted for need?

1. Trade Bosh - if CB has indicated he's leaving, trade him on draft night for a pick and a SG (and whatever filler).

In any of these scenarios, we'd draft BPA or if we went for need, we'd probably go big.

I agree completly Dagger. Although I'de prefer to be pro-active if we're going to trade Bosh rather then re-active since teams don't generally fair to well then. But BPA absolutly.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,373

Post#30 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:31 pm

Whoever we end up drafting at 8-10 will be a bench player at best and won't help us much.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#31 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:38 pm

Hendrix wrote:
dagger wrote:Why are we suddenly drafting for need? Remember the 2004 draft when we drafted for need?

I agree completly Dagger. Although I'de prefer to be pro-active if we're going to trade Bosh rather then re-active since teams don't generally fair to well then. But BPA absolutly.

I'm a BPA guy as well, but I brought up this scenario the other day. Given that we'll be pressing the luxury tax again, does it make sense to draft a pg? We'll have four of them, with only Roko on a short term. And when you consider AP has played his best ball this year at pg and he's in our future plans, it may leave us thin in other areas.
Hendrix
RealGM

Post#32 » by Hendrix » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:55 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:

I'm a BPA guy as well, but I brought up this scenario the other day. Given that we'll be pressing the luxury tax again, does it make sense to draft a pg? We'll have four of them, with only Roko on a short term. And when you consider AP has played his best ball this year at pg and he's in our future plans, it may leave us thin in other areas.

There is lot of PG's in this draft around our range for sure. Curry, Teagues, Jennings, Jrue could all be there at our pick depending how things shape up from here on out, so this could definitly become a factor.

I think Roko, Parker, and the Miami guy (forget his name this second) are all pretty easiy expendable, and wouldn't put too much stock them if we think completly we're going to get a better player with a PG in the draft.

I think I'de stil take the BPA. If you think h has a better chance to pan out, and he doeds then you can trade him, or Calderon latter for a SG. Much better then drafting a SG who we think is worse, and him not panning out imo.

Btw, what do you think of Jru Holiday? I've only seen 1 game of him this year, and was payin more attention to Harden then Jrue.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM

Post#33 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:08 pm

Hendrix wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:

There is lot of PG's in this draft around our range for sure. Curry, Teagues, Jennings, Jrue could all be there at our pick depending how things shape up from here on out, so this could definitly become a factor.

I think Roko, Parker, and the Miami guy (forget his name this second) are all pretty easiy expendable, and wouldn't put too much stock them if we think completly we're going to get a better player with a PG in the draft.

I think I'de stil take the BPA. If you think h has a better chance to pan out, and he doeds then you can trade him, or Calderon latter for a SG. Much better then drafting a SG who we think is worse, and him not panning out imo.

Btw, what do you think of Jru Holiday? I've only seen 1 game of him this year, and was payin more attention to Harden then Jrue.

I've watched Holiday a few times, and the 2nd game against Harden he had less success. Harden just muscled right by him. He's definitely a good defender, and I think he got jobbed on a couple of foul calls.

His biggest problem right now is he can't shoot and can't get to the rim, but he seems to make the right play consistently. I know he gets compared to Wesbtrook, but they're really different. Westbrook was really only effective in the open court and kind of reckless, but Jrue seems to make precise cuts and passes in the half-court.

I still think Westbrook is a horrid shooter, but he's just allowed to do whatever he wants in OKC and he's just so aggressive that he occasionally looks amazing. I don't think Jrue will ever look amazing.
Hendrix
RealGM

Post#34 » by Hendrix » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:46 am

ATLTimekeeper wrote:[
I've watched Holiday a few times, and the 2nd game against Harden he had less success. Harden just muscled right by him. He's definitely a good defender, and I think he got jobbed on a couple of foul calls.

His biggest problem right now is he can't shoot and can't get to the rim, but he seems to make the right play consistently. I know he gets compared to Wesbtrook, but they're really different. Westbrook was really only effective in the open court and kind of reckless, but Jrue seems to make precise cuts and passes in the half-court.

I still think Westbrook is a horrid shooter, but he's just allowed to do whatever he wants in OKC and he's just so aggressive that he occasionally looks amazing. I don't think Jrue will ever look amazing.

Wasn't Jrue on him for the first half where Harden got like 5 points, and then he was off him in the 2nd half when Harden exploded?

Would you say Jrue might be kinda like Calderon on offense in teh sense that they are good "game manager" PG's that run the offence, but elite on the defensive side? If so sounds like a very good role player.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Post#35 » by hype_2004 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:52 am

Carlos Rogers wrote:He wears number 15 and has a bald head....

No its not Vince Carter but he does look a lot like him...

Its Gerald Henderson from Duke whos playing at 5:30 against BC

Its looking very possible along with Chase Budinger, Stephon Curry, Demar Derozen,
Willie Warren etc that will be drafting one of them theres no good SG's in FA unless
we go after Turkoglu.

With the Marion trade and the sked getting easier especially on March 15th will probably play ourselves out of the James Hardin sweepstakes.

Gearald Henderson is slated to go 10th on nbadraft.net and 11th on draft express and is one
of the few pure all around SG's in the draft.

Even with his stock climbing other lottery teams should stay away from him since most of those
teams have elite SG's (OKC - Durant, SAC - Martin, MEM - Mayo, GS - Jackson/Mags/Crawford, LAC - Gordon, IND - Granger)

His game and numbers will translate better in the NBA then Dukes structured system.

Hes has the makings of a future Dunk contest winner is a very effiecent shooter and is a very
solid defender...

In our system with Calderon and Marion and the attention Bosh and Bargs create down low
his game would be a perfect fit for us. Hes meant to get up and Run and in College and Dukes
half court offense they don't do that as much.

Ive read as of late hes starting to learn how to take over games and is showing a killer instinct
sounds like something we could use...

Hes a little undersized for a SG at 6'4/6'5ish but plays big

In interviews ive seen with him he has that charisma that stars have I don't think he will be a
franchise player but I could see him being a future All-Star.

We won't be drafting forwards like Earl Clark, Al-Farouq Aminu, and Damion James because
they don't complement Marion.

I think will draft a SG or Combo guard

resign Marion

And possibly sign a backup true center to back up Bargs....maybe Rasho for Cheap...and
probably resign Parker for cheap as he will be one of the better SG's on the market.

Calderon
Henderson
Marion
Bosh
Bargnani

Ukic/Banks
Parker
Graham/Kapono
Jawai/Humphries(if resigned if not draft Big with second round pick)
Rasho/Voskuhl

Solomon let go...

Hopefully Roko and Jawai grow into consistent productive assets

Gerlad Henderson has no feel for the game, the comparison to Dahntay Jones is spot on but he is more alike Maurice Evans and Hassan Adams, undersized SF types who does part-time SG duties. Never get enamored with collegiate success esp with players that put up stats due to their athleticism, Henderson can flourish in an up-tempo system but I have my doubts about his prospects as solid full-time starter, he has too many fundamental limitations to his game namely his ball-handling and shooting(FT, Mid-range, 3pt).

Return to Toronto Raptors