ImageImageImageImageImage

Bargnani needs to grow a brain

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Re: Bargnani needs to grow a brain 

Post#41 » by MikeM » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:37 pm

sl64 wrote:How do you figure that a guy who is a career 41% shooter is a "good" shooter for a center?

Well when you figure half his shots are 3s...
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,975

Post#42 » by MEDIC » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:38 pm

The only thing I can say about Jose is that he doesn't feed Bargnani in the post. A player is going to go to a spot on the floor where he is going to get touches. Bargs doesn't get the ball inside, guess where he is going to set of camp next?

How many games have we seen so far this season where Bargnani effectively gets good post position early in the 1st quarter, but doesn't get the ball? After that , he spends the rest of the game camping out at the 3 point line & jacking up shots when he finally gets the ball in his hands.

Drives me mad. If the guy has any chance to develop a post game, they need to feed him the ball in the post.

Bargnani & Bosh were having really good chemistry in January when JO was out. They were passing to each other, scoring & there appeared to be some kind of "system" that worked.

I hope we can get back to having that flow to the game again.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Kakapato
Bench Warmer
And1: 20

Post#43 » by Kakapato » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:40 pm

sl64 wrote:How do you figure that a guy who is a career 41% shooter is a "good" shooter for a center?

Is he playing as a CENTER???? How hard is do understand that he's NOT your typical NBA center?

Bargs is not a typical All-Muscles/No-Skill Center whos shots are dunks for the 80% of the time.
Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#44 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:48 pm

MikeM wrote:

Well when you figure half his shots are 3s...

He's ranked 4th among centers who take more than 1 3pt shot per game (only 9 centers shoot more than 1 3pt shot per game).

He's not even in the top 50 for centers 2Point FG%

So, he's average at shooting the 3 when compared to those centers who also shoot 3s, and compared to all centers who shoot 2s he's in the terrible range.
sl64
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#45 » by sl64 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:49 pm

So what are you saying? If you measure Bargs's shooting against Cs, PFs or SFs, it doesn't matter. He's always terrible-to-mediocre.

Thanks for revealing to us.
If only BC and Gherardini and the guy who voted him "Top European Young Player of the Year" in 2005/06... when his FG% were .528 (153-290) from the field, .408 (89-218) from three-point range and .798 (146-183) from the charity stripe (Lega A) PLUS .558 (43-77) from the field, .434 (23-53) from three-point land and .712 (42-59) at the charity stripe (Euroleague).

Well, that changes everything! I'll totally forget that his shooting has sucked in the NBA now that I know he was shooting well playing against a bunch of guys who couldn't even earn 10 day contracts in the NBA if their lives depended on it.

(don't think I'm a euro basher... I was born in europe and I probably follow the Euroleague more than most people here. But let's be honest. The talent level in europe is much closer to the NCAA than the NBA).

Fine, you want to account for the 3 pointers? Look at his TS%.

Career average: .524

For a center, that places him in Josh Boone/Andray Blatche/Aaron Gray territory. For a PF it's less embarassing, he's middle of the pack with guys like Aldridge, Josh Smith and Tyrus Thomas. The difference, of course, is that none of those guys' games is predicated on being a jumpshooter. Bargnani's is. And that is quite bad for a jumpshooter.
Here's the thing about Chris Bosh ... If Joey Graham had longer arms, he'd be just as effective at PF." --SuigintouEV
RapsVC15
RealGM
And1: 424

Post#46 » by RapsVC15 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:50 pm

He had two driving lay ups where he exposed Big Z and a dunk where he outran him in transition.

But for some reason after picking up those 2 early fouls and heading to the bench, he stopped driving.
Duncanfan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#47 » by Duncanfan » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:53 pm

Kakapato wrote:
sl64 wrote:The fact is: Bargs is a poor shooter and a poor slasher. That's it.

Thanks for revealing to us.
If only BC and Gherardini and the guys who voted him "Top European Young Player of the Year" in 2005/06 knew about this... when his FG% were .528 (153-290) from the field, .408 (89-218) from three-point range and .798 (146-183) from the charity stripe (Lega A) PLUS .558 (43-77) from the field, .434 (23-53) from three-point land and .712 (42-59) at the charity stripe (Euroleague).

But you know, in Europe they suck... Euro rim's width is the double of an NBA rim's one.

PS: I'm posting these stats knowing that you like them... I believe that there are more variables inside those numbers but if you like them in this way...

Those numbers tell the entire story and problem with Bargnani's game. Out of 290 FG attempts in Lega A, 218 attempts were from behind the 3pt line. Thats almost 80 percent of his shot attempts for crying out loud!!! In the Euroleague, 53 of 77 FG attempts were from the 3 pt line. The fact remaings, the guy was a pretty one-dimensional player even when he was drafted. and since you managed to post his shooting stats, how about you post his rebounding numbers too??

And as for your argument of using awards as a measure of someone's ability, didn't Palacio recently receive the european MVP award recently? What does that mean? that Palacio is better than CP3?
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,975

Post#48 » by MEDIC » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:27 pm

Volcano wrote:I'd rather have him develop his post up game, so he could rely on that...like a real big man

I agree. I am fairly confident that with Bargnani's footwork, shooting, bulk, strength & soft hands, he could be a pretty good post player if they developed him into one.

Unfortunately BC seems to be set on having him play more like a SF.....
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#49 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:42 pm

MEDIC wrote:
Volcano wrote:I'd rather have him develop his post up game, so he could rely on that...like a real big man

I agree. I am fairly confident that with Bargnani's footwork, shooting, bulk, strength & soft hands, he could be a pretty good post player if they developed him into one.

Unfortunately BC seems to be set on having him play more like a SF.....

It's BCs fault that Bargs gravitates to the 3Pt arc instead of the Restricted Zone arc?

It's BCs fault that Bargs drifts back to half court when a Raptor shot goes up instead of getting his butt under the bucket in an attempt to get an offensive rebound?

These are tendencies of a wing player that he has had since his first NBA game, not something that management or the coaching staff have requested of him.

If BC was set on having him play like a SF, why would he trade JO for a SF instead of just leaving Bargs to play the SF?
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#50 » by MikeM » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:13 pm

I'm pretty sure if Triano calls a post-up for Bargs, he's going to go into the post. It's not that management is telling him to play like a SF because they're not, but they're not forcing him to play in the post.
Kakapato
Bench Warmer
And1: 20

Post#51 » by Kakapato » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:37 pm

Duncanfan wrote:Those numbers tell the entire story and problem with Bargnani's game. Out of 290 FG attempts in Lega A, 218 attempts were from behind the 3pt line. Thats almost 80 percent of his shot attempts for crying out loud!!! In the Euroleague, 53 of 77 FG attempts were from the 3 pt line. The fact remaings, the guy was a pretty one-dimensional player even when he was drafted. and since you managed to post his shooting stats, how about you post his rebounding numbers too??

Not really... NBA guys f****d up with stats... the first value isn't the total FGs, but only the 2p FGs.

Some links that explain it better.
http://www.euroleague.net/competition/players/showplayer?pcode=BWZ&seasoncode=E2005

http://195.56.77.208/player/pbd.phtml?ply=BAR-AND-85&from=1980&team=1103&type2=a&name_search=Bargnani

Duncanfan wrote:And as for your argument of using awards as a measure of someone's ability, didn't Palacio recently receive the european MVP award recently? What does that mean? that Palacio is better than CP3?

March MVP
http://www.euroleague.net/features/interviews/euroleague-2007-08/i/28195/2611/item

"It has been very exciting. In my professional career, I've never been in a position to play such a big role as this. A little bit at Utah when I was in the NBA, but I didn't have so big a role as now, and that's the exciting part. All I can say is that all the hard work pays off."

Simply in Europe teams have a system... if the team run plays for Mister X, then Mister X fill is boxscore. In this case Mister X is Palacio.

Generally in NBA (above all in Toronto) coaches prefer to run isos for their "better" players... but at last the ring goes to teams who have a real system (except for the Stern factor -> D-Whistle ect... ).

Or coaches do like Nelson: don't coach at all... some have fun watching GSW.. I puke...

Return to Toronto Raptors