ImageImageImageImageImage

Colangelo's FA history

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Colangelo's FA history 

Post#1 » by brownbobcat » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:29 pm

Thought I'd just pull up some of BC's past signings to see if I could find anything interesting. Data comes from www.prosportstransactions.com and I used the following filter criteria:
- contract has to be more than 1 year
- salary has to be over $1 mil per annum
- excludes transactions as Raptors GM (rehashed to death)

I don't think there's much you can really extract from this, other than BC doing poorly on unrestricted signings compared to extensions.

1995-09-22 Elliot Perry re-signed free agent to a 6-year, $12M contract
1995-10-04 Waymon Tisdale re-signed unrestricted free agent to a 2-year, $6.65M contract
1995-10-12 Danny Manning re-signed unrestricted free agent to 6-year, ~$37-40M
1999-01-22 Tom Gugliotta signed free agent (from Timberwolves) to a 6-year, $58.5M
1999-01-25 Rex Chapman re-signed free agent to a 6-year, $22.1M contract
1999-08-01 Clifford Robinson re-signed to a 4-year, $29M contract
1999-08-02 Rodney Rogers signed free agent to a 3-year, $6.6M contract
1999-09-08 Corie Blount signed free agent to a 2-year, $2.3M contract
2000-08-01 Tony Delk signed free agent (from Kings) to a 6-year, $19M contract
2000-08-03 Corie Blount re-signed free agent to a 2-year, $3.2M contract
2002-08-01 Shawn Marion signed to a 6-year, maximum (~$80M) contract extension
2003-10-07 Stephon Marbury signed to a 4-year, ~$76M contract extension
2004-07-14 Steve Nash signed free agent (from Mavericks) to a 6-year, $66M contract
2004-07-29 Quentin Richardson signed restricted free agent ) to a 6-year, $45M contract
2005-08-03 Raja Bell signed free agent (from Jazz) to a 5-year, $24M contract
2005-10-03 Amare Stoudemire re-signed to a 5-year, $73M contract extension

** notes **
- Kidd only ever signed a 1-yr extension with the Suns, he was on a huge rookie contract before that
- didn't include Joe Johnson or Anfernee Hardaway since they were sign-and-trades
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,961

Re: Colangelo's FA history 

Post#2 » by ATLTimekeeper » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:42 pm

I don't really agree with your analysis. His unrestricted acquisitions aren't bad at all. The one that sticks out is Gugliotta, but I think there was a pretty serious health issue that arose after the signing. QRich was a good player for them, too. Hard to argue that Raja was a bad deal.

And how many eventual MVP winners have been signed to non-max deals in the history of free agency?
RealGood
Pro Prospect
And1: 14

Post#3 » by RealGood » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:42 pm

Thanks for posting.

This only shows part of the picture however. Draft history and trades are just as, and maybe more important then FA signings.

This is not the MLB (ie-Yankees) where teams with no salary caps can just buy their teams. With that being said, I'd be interested to see a GM in the league that has a noticeably better record of FA signings in the NBA.
kelso
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#4 » by kelso » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:51 pm

I think those signings aren't bad at all- as a matter of fact, he has a number of all stars on that list, so you could argue he did very well. You could also argue that the contracts to TJ Ford, Jose Calderon and Jason Kapono were among the worst he's offered.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#5 » by timdunkit » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:52 pm

kelso wrote:I think those signings aren't bad at all- as a matter of fact, he has a number of all stars on that list, so you could argue he did very well. You could also argue that the contracts to TJ Ford, Jose Calderon and Jason Kapono were among the worst he's offered.

Kapono was horrendous but Calderon and TJ got what they were worth at the time ...
rdtx2005
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#6 » by rdtx2005 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:53 pm

how are ford and caldy's contracts the worst?
sl64
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#7 » by sl64 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:54 pm

The Calderon contract is not bad at all... it's actually very reasonable and should make it easy for us to get rid of him once BC comes to his senses and decides to blow this thing up.
Here's the thing about Chris Bosh ... If Joey Graham had longer arms, he'd be just as effective at PF." --SuigintouEV
MikeM
General Manager
And1: 9,878

Post#8 » by MikeM » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:58 pm

Most GMs have poor records in free agency because free agency in general just sucks. You have to overpay for guys that are usually not entering their prime.
burn1down
Rookie

Post#9 » by burn1down » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:08 pm

kelso wrote:I think those signings aren't bad at all- as a matter of fact, he has a number of all stars on that list, so you could argue he did very well. You could also argue that the contracts to TJ Ford, Jose Calderon and Jason Kapono were among the worst he's offered.

What? Whats wrong Calderons contract??
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#10 » by Hendrix » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:30 pm

Hardly any GM's get big free agent signings. Detroit for example's best free agent signing in the last 25 yeras is Billups, and he was nothing special at all when they got him.

The CBA's, and cap is just set upin a way that you're not getting a very good free agent unless you over pay. And even then you need to be under the cap, and usually have a good team already.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
kelso
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#11 » by kelso » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:44 pm

burn1down wrote:

What? Whats wrong Calderons contract??

I was too harsh with my comment- you could very well argue they were good contracts at the time, but thats the beauty of hindsight now. I guess what I meant to say is that I don't think either of TJ Ford or Jose Calderon are worth what they are getting paid right now.

We had 2 viable PG's, decided on an up-tempo style of play, gave up on the up-tempo PG who you signed long term and traded him for an expiring contract, signed the previously back-up PG to a big money, realizing that PG might be well suited for an uptempo offense.....and during that time you traded away half your draft picks and signed a bunch of bit players and throw in a horrible deal for Kapono and here we are. Dogs breakfast with no definable direction or plan that I can identify anyways.
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#12 » by Mustard_Tiger » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:47 pm

kelso wrote:
We had 2 viable PG's, decided on an up-tempo style of play, gave up on the up-tempo PG who you signed long term and traded him for an expiring contract, signed the previously back-up PG to a big money, realizing that PG might be well suited for an uptempo offense.....and during that time you traded away half your draft picks and signed a bunch of bit players and throw in a horrible deal for Kapono and here we are. Dogs breakfast with no definable direction or plan that I can identify anyways.

The Raptors only decided to play an "up-tempo" style once they fired Sam Mitchell. And it's resulted in their collapse in the conference.
v1n5anity
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,059

Post#13 » by v1n5anity » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:21 pm

wtf @ the Marbury contract. How can you pay the guy that much money?! He was good (at the time) but not great to get a contract like that!
brownbobcat
Head Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#14 » by brownbobcat » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:28 pm

MikeM wrote:Most GMs have poor records in free agency because free agency in general just sucks. You have to overpay for guys that are usually not entering their prime.

I tend to agree because most worthwhile guys re-sign before hitting UFA, it just makes sense unless you really want to leave. And if the team senses that, then they'd rather trade you than get nothing. That's why I think non-rookie contract extensions should also count as FA signings from an analytical point of view.

For example, was anybody else ever going to throw $19 mil/yr at Marbury?
big_baller_shot_caller23
Senior

Post#15 » by big_baller_shot_caller23 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:02 pm

hes gotten better every year , rember when everyone was saying that Phnx Overpaid Nash , well looked likes a bargain in the end .

This shows that he gets better and better as a GM , and with the recent trade , you cant judge it until the next season since he got cap space , its what he does with that cap space should we judge him on.
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#16 » by LieCheatSteal » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:23 pm

I can't recall any bloated unrestricted free agent signings that have worked for a team for the duration of his contract. Seems like, at the end, that player becomes an expiring contract or the team just buys him out.

Maybe Shaq when he went originally from Orlando to LA.

Point is, though, that if you look at any GM around the league that has lasted worked the same amount of time as BC, they'll probably have the same record too.

Yes, Crapono's contract is terrible. Calderon's is not.
Two years from being two years away.
beno
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by beno » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:40 pm

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/ba ... mit=Search

I was looking at Raptors being fined and not surprised to find any since BC took over. We need toughness in the team even wackos who can play will do. Some players actually criticized the Raptors coach and got suspended. We need people to speak up and be heard. We all know that the offensive scheme is flawed, why is nothing being done to utilize our players' strengths...:(
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Post#18 » by zilby » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:22 pm

v1n5anity wrote:wtf @ the Marbury contract. How can you pay the guy that much money?! He was good (at the time) but not great to get a contract like that!

isiah is a moron. why do u think we drove him out? but i must admit marbury is really smart. he sits at home and does nothing for 20M per year
Hawaiian pizza is good.

Return to Toronto Raptors