ImageImageImageImageImage

Moving Up In the Draft????

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

ballercb4
Sixth Man
And1: 1,284

Moving Up In the Draft???? 

Post#1 » by ballercb4 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:25 pm

Can't we use our draft pick plus the 3 million we got from the Marion trade to move up in the draft???? And if so how far up would our pick be????----BC are you listening????
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Re: Moving Up In the Draft???? 

Post#2 » by LLJ » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:26 pm

We're already trying. This team may not win more than 3 more games this season!
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,499

Post#3 » by dagger » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:28 pm

It's more likely that we can acquire an extra pick in the teens with cash than we can move up to a much higher pick with cash.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
ballercb4
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by ballercb4 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:28 pm

LLJ wrote:We're already trying. This team may not win more than 3 more games this season!

depressing...if true 3 wins...have to put up with more trash talking from hockey fans :(
Silk Wilkes
Banned User
And1: 10

Post#5 » by Silk Wilkes » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:28 pm

It's called Tanking....at least I hope we're tanking...
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,499

Post#6 » by dagger » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:29 pm

ballercb4 wrote:
LLJ wrote:We're already trying. This team may not win more than 3 more games this season!

depressing...if true 3 wins...have to put up with more trash talking from hockey fans :(

Here's what you tell them to shut them up in their tracks:

At least our team knows how to tank for a better draft pick.
The Leafs have a shot at a couple of true franchise players in a great draft and they are screwing it up.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
ballercb4
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by ballercb4 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:30 pm

dagger wrote:It's more likely that we can acquire an extra pick in the teens with cash than we can move up to a much higher pick with cash.

who could we package with our pick and cash???? Hump,AP (sign him trade him)????
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#8 » by 5DOM » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:33 pm

dagger wrote:
ballercb4 wrote:

The Leafs have a shot at a couple of true franchise players in a great draft and they are screwing it up.

it's sad because i dont even think we are trying to tank.
we just suck. anyway same result
cookieman
Sixth Man
And1: 192

Post#9 » by cookieman » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:34 pm

We could possibly move up if we're willing to take on a bad longterm contract.

The thing that kills me is that we're tanking but NOT on purpose. The other night during the Clippers game they had Fred Jones, Ricky Davis, DeAndre Jordan, Eric Gordon, and Steve Novak all playing at the same time in the second quarter. THAT is how you tank. We're doing it with our best players.
ballercb4
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by ballercb4 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:35 pm

dagger wrote:
ballercb4 wrote:

don't get me started on my story about how a "hockey fan" was dissing Chris Paul saying how he a nobody in basketball and how every1 knows who Lebron and Kobe and no1 know who he is so he sucks...I felt like slapping him...
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#11 » by Komodo » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:39 pm

dagger wrote:Here's what you tell them to shut them up in their tracks:

I think you got it backwards man. The Leafs currently have the fourth worst record in the league, and will likely bottom out after they dump most of their assets at the deadline. It's not even comparable, the Leafs are in a MUCH better position than the Raptors going foward.
ballercb4
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by ballercb4 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:15 pm

I hate the leafs...
jalenrose#5
Lead Assistant
And1: 266

Post#13 » by jalenrose#5 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:20 pm

We could move up, but only after we use that money to acquire a pick in the 15-25 range. If we can have like the 7th overall and the 20th overall pick...i'm sure we could move into the top 5.

But I'd rather have the two picks personally. We have a lack of depth and drafting somebody like Jeff Teague and Jodie Meeks at the 7th adn 22nd picks would be amazing for the Raptors with their lack of backcourt depth.
McFurious1
Head Coach
And1: 865

Post#14 » by McFurious1 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:24 pm

komodo19 wrote:

I think you got it backwards man. The Leafs currently have the fourth worst record in the league, and will likely bottom out after they dump most of their assets at the deadline. It's not even comparable, the Leafs are in a MUCH better position than the Raptors going foward.

How so? The Raptors STILL have their franchise player in Chris Bosh. Plus we have the potential of resigning Marion an all-star type player + Bargnani continues to develop at 22yrs, and a Calderon is a very capable point guard (besides what many of you say), and we will be adding a top 5 pick in this years draft. The future is not as bleak as some of you see it. If we resign Marion this year we WILL be going to the Playoffs next year, and you can quote me on that.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#15 » by LLJ » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:34 pm

McFurious1 wrote:
How so? The Raptors STILL have their franchise player in Chris Bosh. Plus we have the potential of resigning Marion an all-star type player + Bargnani continues to develop at 22yrs, and a Calderon is a very capable point guard (besides what many of you say), and we will be adding a top 5 pick in this years draft. The future is not as bleak as some of you see it. If we resign Marion this year we WILL be going to the Playoffs next year, and you can quote me on that.

You were going so well until you got to "plus".

So you're saying that pretty much this exact same group of guys, plus a draft pick, is enough to turn this team around by 20+ games. That must be one helluva draft pick.
Komodo
Banned User
And1: 791

Post#16 » by Komodo » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:38 pm

McFurious1 wrote:
komodo19 wrote:

They drafted Luke Schenn 5th overall last summer, a 19 year old who's been logging 20+ mins for them all season long. He'll be on a cheap rookie contract for years to come before they have to re-up him. The Leafs also have one of the lowest payrolls in the entire league, and are in line to add a max free agent this summer (young franchise d'man Jay Bowmeester?), or wait til 2010 and add Rick Nash. They will also likely get a top 5 pick this summer to add to their core. Lots of desirable assets to trade at the deadline.

What do the Raps have? Bosh, soon to be 25, can leave for nothing in 1.5 years. Calderon? He's an average point guard. Bargnani? Meh, nothing special. His style of play isn't really conducive to winning. Marion, he's almost 31? Isn't the point to have your best players all peak at the same time? BC better hit a homerun with our (hopefully) top 10 pick this summer.

Return to Toronto Raptors