ImageImageImageImageImage

marion for o'neal was a steal for us

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

TOStateofMind
RealGM
And1: 21,324

Re: marion for o'neal was a steal for us 

Post#61 » by TOStateofMind » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:19 am

Lets wait and see instead of making conclusions after a couple game.
Grizzled
Starter
And1: 0

Post#62 » by Grizzled » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:21 am

SHootaR wrote:
Grizzled wrote:
djsunyc wrote:marion can still ball and is perfect for our team. he's already the fastest player we have and he is killing it on the boards. he is initiating the break and we can rely on him for 40 mins a night.

we got rid of a huge contract, a guy that didn't fit unfortunately, and someone we could not rely on due to health.

colangelo should get major props for fixing his mistake quickly.

now, we must re-sign marion and i think we already have going by how he's been talking about the team, it's future, and working with bargs and making him better.

Absolutely, but the JO trade wasn't a mistake. Trading for him always gave us 2 options. Keep him or trade his expiring contract. I don't think we could have gotten Marion for TJ and filler either, so the increase in value that BC got with the TJ for JO trade allowed us to get Marion. BC has a very large brain, and you can certainly see it at work in this series of trades.

this is the end trade result.

TJ Ford (8 mill)
Rasho (expiring contract - 8.5 mill)
#18 1st round pick
>14 1st round pick

FOR

Marion (17 mill expiring)
Banks (4 mill)

So basically...if we did a straight-up trade with a team like that (Miami), we'd in essence be getting a NET 4.5 million for Summer 09...and giving up TJ Ford at 8 mill a year (decent contract) and 2 1st round draft picks. If you think BC is a genius for getting 4.5 million of expiring contracts for giving up TJ Ford and 2 1st round picks...i really cannnot help you.

I’m not even sure what you’re trying to say. We gave up Ford - a guy with a serious medical condition that scared a number of teams off completely, but we pretty well had to move that summer - and a couple of mid first round picks, for a 4 time all-star in Shawn Marion, and you have a problem with that?? We also had to take Banks, but he actually brings some things we need. I don’t think he’s going to play many minutes, but he’s only making $4 million and he’s probably worth about half of that.
Grizzled
Starter

Post#63 » by Grizzled » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:23 am

Rayce wrote:Lets wait and see instead of making conclusions after a couple game.

Where've you been? The haters were out in force calling this a terrible trade before Marion had even put on a Raptors uniform!
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#64 » by J-Roc » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:25 am

Grizzled wrote:
SHootaR wrote:
Grizzled wrote:Absolutely, but the JO trade wasn't a mistake. Trading for him always gave us 2 options. Keep him or trade his expiring contract. I don't think we could have gotten Marion for TJ and filler either, so the increase in value that BC got with the TJ for JO trade allowed us to get Marion. BC has a very large brain, and you can certainly see it at work in this series of trades.

TJ Ford (8 mill)
#18 1st round pick
>14 1st round pick

FOR

Banks (4 mill)

So basically...if we did a straight-up trade with a team like that (Miami), we'd in essence be getting a NET 4.5 million for Summer 09...and giving up TJ Ford at 8 mill a year (decent contract) and 2 1st round draft picks. If you think BC is a genius for getting 4.5 million of expiring contracts for giving up TJ Ford and 2 1st round picks...i really cannnot help you.

I’m not even sure what you’re trying to say. We gave up Ford - a guy with a serious MENTAL condition that scared a number of teams off completely, but we pretty well had to move that summer - and a couple of mid first round picks, for a 4 time all-star in Shawn Marion, and you have a problem with that?? We also had to take Banks, but he actually brings some things we need. I don’t think he’s going to play many minutes, but he’s only making $4 million and he’s probably worth about half of that.

Fixed. Me-J wasn't a team player.
Grizzled
Starter

Post#65 » by Grizzled » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:29 am

J-Roc wrote:
Grizzled wrote:
SHootaR wrote:

TJ Ford (8 mill)
#18 1st round pick
>14 1st round pick

FOR

Banks (4 mill)

I’m not even sure what you’re trying to say. We gave up Ford - a guy with a serious MENTAL condition that scared a number of teams off completely, but we pretty well had to move that summer - and a couple of mid first round picks, for a 4 time all-star in Shawn Marion, and you have a problem with that?? We also had to take Banks, but he actually brings some things we need. I don’t think he’s going to play many minutes, but he’s only making $4 million and he’s probably worth about half of that.

Fixed. Me-J wasn't a team player.

lol! That too.
Mufasa_Reloaded
Senior

Post#66 » by Mufasa_Reloaded » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:32 am

Of course it was, I've been saying this since it happened. We traded the far worse contract and the inferior player who had no value in the league and who nobody who wanted him but one team and when everyone knew we'd be screwed next year if we didn't trade him, for the biggest expiring on the market who half the league desperately wanted, and the superior player to boot. Somehow we made JO hold more value than Vince Carter and Tyson Chandler... think about that for a second. Teams are being really dumb with their 2010 only attention right now, it's stopping them from getting pure steals.

Miami at best will be an lateral team after this trade, except now they have to pay the second coming of old Webber 23 mil next year. The 2010 plan is a farce, Wade and Bosh/Amare on simaltaneous max deals is a stupid fit, the Heat need someone who can anchor their d, not only of those two guys, who Beasely can fill in for just fine. They should've traded Marion for Chandler and said **** 2010... Wade/Beasely/Chandler is an awesome core going forward.

Moon and the 1st for Banks and 3 mil isn't a big deal at all, considering the 3 mil will be as valuable as a pick this year with so many teams in the red and we already had more space than we needed in 2010. The value of Marion right now is so much >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> that of JO's when contract and play is considered, that it far outweighs Moon for Banks almost straight up.
Hi, my name is Jose Calderon. I put up 9 assists a game on 50/40/90 %s while running the most stagnant and lifeless offense in the league and playing league worst defence

Don't tell anyone. It's our secret.
jeffyao105
Junior

Post#67 » by jeffyao105 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:43 am

well miami's not doing so bad with JO as well tho, gotta say it is a win-win, baring injuries...
JD225
Analyst
And1: 341

Post#68 » by JD225 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:01 am

Grizzled wrote:I’m not even sure what you’re trying to say. We gave up Ford - a guy with a serious medical condition that scared a number of teams off completely, but we pretty well had to move that summer - and a couple of mid first round picks, for a 4 time all-star in Shawn Marion, and you have a problem with that?? We also had to take Banks, but he actually brings some things we need. I don’t think he’s going to play many minutes, but he’s only making $4 million and he’s probably worth about half of that

Is this a joke?

Only 4 Million? Yeah add that to the only 6 million in Kapono and you have only 10 Million of wasted capspace for the next few years.

Where've you been? The haters were out in force calling this a terrible trade before Marion had even put on a Raptors uniform!

Yes and for good reason. The pick, the guy who is getting paid only 4 million and the fact that Shawn Marion has put up declining numbers in Miami and we are about to pay him a big contract.
Hephaestus114
Senior
And1: 2

Post#69 » by Hephaestus114 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:21 am

Grizzled wrote:

Umm... because we only get Marion for 20 odd games and our chances of making the playoffs, even with his sublime talents, is marginal at best. The chances of us avoiding Boston, Orlando or Cleveland in round one is zilch which means Marion becomes a free agent and we get (at best) a first round exit. Therefore Marion is best viewed as nothing more than an expiring... who might reduce the value of our draft pick in 2009.
Crazy_NBA_Fan
Veteran
And1: 383

Post#70 » by Crazy_NBA_Fan » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:25 am

I swear some of the people that post threads here must be like 12 years old. Two straight wins against 2 teams that are below 500 and everyone is jumping off of their seats. Way to early to be jumping the gun. Miami still got the best end of the deal, salary wise, and talent wise. O'Neal and Moon are putting up good numbers in Miami right now.

Anyways, I find it sad that the Raptors had to get Marion to really be able to push the ball, because ever since Jay took over that is what they have been trying to do all this time. Even if Marion does leave during free agency, the Raptors would still be able to play the run and gun style, due to Marion's influence that he had
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,159

Post#71 » by djsunyc » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:27 am

Crazy_NBA_Fan wrote:I swear some of the people that post threads here must be like 12 years old. Two straight wins against 2 teams that are below 500 and everyone is jumping off of their seats. Way to early to be jumping the gun. Miami still got the best end of the deal, salary wise, and talent wise. O'Neal and Moon are putting up good numbers in Miami right now.

Anyways, I find it sad that the Raptors had to get Marion to really be able to push the ball, because ever since Jay took over that is what they have been trying to do all this time. Even if Marion does leave during free agency, the Raptors would still be able to play the run and gun style, due to Marion's influence that he had

sounds like someone poo poo'd in your cereal.

plus, i just turned 13.

Return to Toronto Raptors