ImageImageImageImageImage

Are we too cynical or merely a sports realists?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

just23
Rookie
And1: 0

Are we too cynical or merely a sports realists? 

Post#1 » by just23 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:33 am

I was just looking at all the positive comments regarding the Raptors game tonight and can't help but wonder if I'm just a little too cynical.
I'd rather they keep losing and move up a pick or two in the draft. I know we should cheer for our tea, but I've always thought that there's no sense in being mediocre. You should always be trying to be a real contender, which we aren't, or rebuilding around a young core, which we aren't.

I was glad when the raps finally traded for Marion since if nothing else, he is far more healthy than JO and will probably be more consistent on a nightly basis. I'm also glad that my least favorite raptor, Bargnani, had a 20 plus night. To me though, the real value of Bargnani performing well is to be able to trade him during the summer. I just don't see a real contender out there with a 7 foot sg averaging 5 rebs a game.

Sorry, to put such a damper on a winning night but I really don't see the value in a cellar dwellar team fighting to maintain it's mediocrity.In the end sports is only entertainment and I don't find a mediocre team entertaining. Am I just being too cynical?
TheRaptor!
General Manager
And1: 5,533

Re: Are we too cynical or merely a sports realists? 

Post#2 » by TheRaptor! » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:36 am

I would rather get the pick too. I'd draft Griffen and package Bosh for an allstar SG + backup PF/C
Ramen Monster
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Ramen Monster » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:41 am

Considering the current record/personnel of the team, I don't think anyone could blame you for being cynical; but a lot of over the top reactions on the board, and considering the volume of posts in this particular community sometimes makes the pessimism feel overbearing; so the little pockets of optimism sometimes are a welcome break from the usual doom and gloom. I think we can be reasonable, objective fans and understand the long term goals and needs of the team, while still celebrate the small victories. I love seeing the team win, even if I understand (like most of us) that it may be in our long term interests to tank.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#4 » by J Dilla » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:01 am

Well I remember this board in 06-07, when people were very happy.

People on this board come up with unrealistic expectations only to disappoint themselves, that's why I think its important to be realistic. During the time, the pessimists are thrashed and come up with the "I told you so" threads later.

I think the Raptors should continue to try to get to the playoffs. I have no faith in Jim Kelly and Bryan Colangelo.
vinsanity09
Pro Prospect
And1: 203

Post#5 » by vinsanity09 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:02 am

I want a high draft pick too, but that doesn't mean that I want to watch them lose every game they play, what's the point of watching a game if you want you're favorite team to lose?

Return to Toronto Raptors