ImageImageImageImageImage

Feschuk Just Be A Sports Columnists

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,510

Feschuk Just Be A Sports Columnists 

Post#1 » by DG88 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:17 pm

Seriously this guy is a sports columnist and he's writing about Bosh's personal life. Wow just imagine the other pro athlete's in Toronto would never want to have an interview with him mainly Bosh since it was Feschuk who brought it to the public. Your not an investigative reporter stick to your real job you pr!ck.
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,100

Re: Feschuk Just Be A Sports Columnists 

Post#2 » by C Court » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:18 pm

Uh ... he basically picked up the AP story. So how is he a prick?
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,278

Post#3 » by ruckus » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:20 pm

Didn't he technically do the same thing to vc during his waning days in TO?
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#4 » by J-Roc » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:21 pm

Meh, it's a story, and I actually give him credit for going into the basketball numbers to talk about how it may have affected his game.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,510

Post#5 » by DG88 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:21 pm

Centre Court wrote:Uh ... he basically picked up the AP story. So how is he a prick?

I just don't like how he reports but still the guy needs to stick to being just a sports columnist. This is a private manner how he got the information I don't know but it's none of his or anyone else business anyways other than Bosh and his ex.
carlosey
General Manager
And1: 2,051

Post#6 » by carlosey » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:23 pm

The dude is a one trick pony. He cant write anything with insight or anything that shines any thought. Hes only there for shock value.

He did go all the way to florida to interview VCs grandmother and why she wasnt invited to vinces wedding. Pathetic? yeah.
alexintoronto
Junior
And1: 3

Post#7 » by alexintoronto » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:26 pm

wait - you want him to be multiple sports columnists??

I see where you're coming from - but he is a pro athelete and in the public eye. If this is affecting his on court performance there is at least some reason for a sports columnist to write about it I think.
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,138

Post#8 » by The Duke » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:29 pm

Honestly... theres no arguement here
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,209

Post#9 » by LLJ » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:30 pm

Well, someone had to pick the story up. Might as well be Feschuk.
Ramako
Head Coach
And1: 1,130

Post#10 » by Ramako » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:32 pm

I sports columnist is still a journalist.
Scott Carefoot
Analyst
And1: 10

Post#11 » by Scott Carefoot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:34 pm

DG88 wrote:Seriously this guy is a sports columnist and he's writing about Bosh's personal life. Wow just imagine the other pro athlete's in Toronto would never want to have an interview with him mainly Bosh since it was Feschuk who brought it to the public. Your not an investigative reporter stick to your real job you pr!ck.

Bosh seems to want to be the NBA's King of All Media. Now that some dirty laundry has come out about him, he suddenly wants to be private. He doesn't get to have it both ways. That's not how the fame game works.
ruckus
RealGM
And1: 11,278

Post#12 » by ruckus » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:50 pm

But, there should be a distinction between people who crave the spotlight (LBJ) and people whose natural inclination is to just do their job (Duncan). Personality-wise, I've always seen Bosh as the latter, someone who would rather do their thing on the court then, go home but, because of the circumstances (the star player on the only NBA team in Canada), was thrust into a role that he was not normally comfortable with. As we've all seen, he's grown accustomed to it but, it doesn't mean that every single detail of his life needs to be scrutinized. Personally, I'm a little tired of the whole build up a star then, tear him down schtick.
Scott Carefoot
Analyst

Post#13 » by Scott Carefoot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:55 pm

ruckus wrote:But, there should be a distinction between people who crave the spotlight (LBJ) and people whose natural inclination is to just do their job (Duncan). Personality-wise, I've always seen Bosh as the latter, someone who would rather do their thing on the court then, go home but, because of the circumstances (the star player on the only NBA team in Canada), was thrust into a role that he was not normally comfortable with. As we've all seen, he's grown accustomed to it but, it doesn't mean that every single detail of his life needs to be scrutinized. Personally, I'm a little tired of the whole build up a star then, tear him down schtick.

I certainly don't think he deserves to be "torn down" for this. But I don't think you understand his personality as well as you think. He's admitted that he would go on Saturday Night Live if they ever asked him to. It certainly seems like he craves the spotlight just as much as LeBron does.
jimmie
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#14 » by jimmie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:13 pm

Scott Carefoot wrote:
ruckus wrote:But, there should be a distinction between people who crave the spotlight (LBJ) and people whose natural inclination is to just do their job (Duncan). Personality-wise, I've always seen Bosh as the latter, someone who would rather do their thing on the court then, go home but, because of the circumstances (the star player on the only NBA team in Canada), was thrust into a role that he was not normally comfortable with. As we've all seen, he's grown accustomed to it but, it doesn't mean that every single detail of his life needs to be scrutinized. Personally, I'm a little tired of the whole build up a star then, tear him down schtick.

I certainly don't think he deserves to be "torn down" for this. But I don't think you understand his personality as well as you think. He's admitted that he would go on Saturday Night Live if they ever asked him to. It certainly seems like he craves the spotlight just as much as LeBron does.

Scott, I generally like your stuff, but this isn't about Bosh and his desire for the spotlight one minute vs. privacy the next. This is about journalistic responsibility.

You can argue whether or not Feschuk should have printed what he did if you like. I would tend to side with printing just the facts -- that a lawsuit had been entered in Maryland -- and ended at that until I had a chance to at least ask Bosh for a comment at practice. What DF did was basically a pre-emptive guilty verdict, and it made a lot of assumptions about Bosh and his actions that may or may not be true -- that's editorializing masquerading as reporting. You can't really argue that Feschuk generally takes a sensationalist, hyper-critical approach to his Raptor coverage, can you?
orangutooth
Sixth Man
And1: 101

Post#15 » by orangutooth » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:13 pm

how does this guy continue to have a job with a major paper all these years. he is a slimebucket.
Sam wasn't the solution, but he wasn't the problem either
- Harry Palmer
Scott Carefoot
Analyst

Post#16 » by Scott Carefoot » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:19 pm

jimmie wrote:Scott, I generally like your stuff, but this isn't about Bosh and his desire for the spotlight one minute vs. privacy the next. This is about journalistic responsibility.

You can argue whether or not Feschuk should have printed what he did if you like. I would tend to side with printing just the facts -- that a lawsuit had been entered in Maryland -- and ended at that until I had a chance to at least ask Bosh for a comment at practice. What DF did was basically a pre-emptive guilty verdict, and it made a lot of assumptions about Bosh and his actions that may or may not be true -- that's editorializing masquerading as reporting. You can't really argue that Feschuk generally takes a sensationalist, hyper-critical approach to his Raptor coverage, can you?

Specifically, what was irresponsible about Feschuk's article? He's reporting on the allegations being made against him, and he gave Bosh an opportunity to give his side of the story. Bosh declined to do so, and this is what happens.

I think that's the part that people seem to be missing here. If the allegations against Bosh are false, he should have taken the opportunity to refute them. If he didn't think his rep would take a huge hit because of this story, he's not as smart as I thought he was.

Like it or not, Feschuk got a huge scoop here. This is the most interesting thing to happen to this team in a while.
roundhead0
Lead Assistant
And1: 668

Post#17 » by roundhead0 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:35 pm

This IS a sports story. Anything that could have an effect on a player's play or their future sports-related decisions is a sports story.

These events are probably a big distraction to Bosh, and could very well affect whether or not he stays long-term in Toronto.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#18 » by J-Roc » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:38 pm

orangutooth wrote:how does this guy continue to have a job with a major paper all these years. he is a slimebucket.

I read everything he writes. Feels good to know you're not being lied to.
Clutch Carter
RealGM
And1: 71,878

Post#19 » by Clutch Carter » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:40 pm

Nothing wrong with his article. Chris f'ed up, plain and simple. Athletes get paid allot of money and choose to have a career that puts them in the spotlight, they shouldn't expect any privacy.
#FreeLRJ Offical 1,000,000 post crew:
Raptor95,Seanbig,Spykelee,ClutchCarter,aRapsFan4eva,KozRJC,MAS,Slowlydrowningme,bigdub,GQstylin

jimmie
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#20 » by jimmie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:43 pm

Scott Carefoot wrote:
jimmie wrote:Scott, I generally like your stuff, but this isn't about Bosh and his desire for the spotlight one minute vs. privacy the next. This is about journalistic responsibility.

Specifically, what was irresponsible about Feschuk's article? He's reporting on the allegations being made against him, and he gave Bosh an opportunity to give his side of the story. Bosh declined to do so, and this is what happens.

I think that's the part that people seem to be missing here. If the allegations against Bosh are false, he should have taken the opportunity to refute them. If he didn't think his rep would take a huge hit because of this story, he's not as smart as I thought he was.

Like it or not, Feschuk got a huge scoop here. This is the most interesting thing to happen to this team in a while.

It's a "scoop", but there's really no news here (yet).

Feschuk's very careful to preface with "alleged", "the document claims" etc. in order to cover his ass should the truth show that Bosh is not what he's being made out to be. He contacted Bosh's lawyer, who had the legally-responsible response, couldn't get a comment from the ex-gf's lawayer, and didn't feel compelled to wait the week Bosh's lawyer mentioned to hear Bosh's side before printing the story (scoop more important than getting the story right?). Even that wouldn't be so bad if he didn't go on for the next 6 paragraphs trying to link this to Bosh's (and the team's) sub-par performance since November. There's an awful lot of speculation and conjecture, suggestions and innuendo, and very little actual substance.

I'm not about to judge this situation until everything is known. In fact, if you want to go solely on speculation, it would seem to me that, given the infamous Tweet, Bosh was actually happy to have a daughter, and this issue is most likely one of finances to be fought out between two people whose relationship has collapsed in an ugly fashion, with the sad side effect of a child being involved. It happens all the time in real life, and the two parties aren't usually vilified the way they are when one of them is a public figure. Just because our world is obsessed with this kind of crap doesn't condone it.

Wait a few weeks and we'll have full details. Did this story sell hits to the Star? Sure, but that doesn't make it good journalism.

Return to Toronto Raptors