ImageImageImageImageImage

McCowan/Doug Smith Predict Moves for next season

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

TorontoSF
Senior
And1: 0

McCowan/Doug Smith Predict Moves for next season 

Post#1 » by TorontoSF » Mon Apr 6, 2009 8:52 pm

McCowan was just on fan590 about 20 mins ago and he said he believes that BC will make some major changes in the offseason. McCowan said that BC WILL trade Bosh whether Bosh agrees to it or not, and that BC will also try to move Calderon if there are any good offers. He seemed pretty confident, but i don't know where he was basing this stuff on. We will see though.

With the Bobcat, Doug is all defensive about the Raps, and says they should bring back CB, AB, Jose, Marion and Triano. Bobcat asks, well then how can they improve? Doug's master plan to fix things...

1. Let Joey Graham go.
2. Find someone better than Hump or Pops off the bench.
3. Find a way to move Kapono.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,267

Re: Bob McCowan Predicts Major Moves 

Post#2 » by Shaazzam » Mon Apr 6, 2009 8:55 pm

BC mentioned the possibility of "bold" (IIRC that was the term he used) moves this summer.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,558

Post#3 » by s e n s i » Mon Apr 6, 2009 8:56 pm

TorontoSF wrote:McCowan was just on fan590 about 20 mins ago and he said he believes that BC will make some major changes in the offseason. McCowan said that BC WILL trade Bosh whether Bosh agrees to it or not, and that BC will also try to move Calderon if there are any good offers. He seemed pretty confident, but i don't know where he was basing this stuff on. We will see though.

You have made the day of many here.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
ZeriousLy
Lead Assistant
And1: 775

Post#4 » by ZeriousLy » Mon Apr 6, 2009 8:56 pm

does mccowan even know the starting line up for the raptors?
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,632

Post#5 » by C_Money » Mon Apr 6, 2009 8:58 pm

I think the only impact player that has a chance of leaving is Marion. Personally I think Calderon is the biggest reason why we're losing this year so he would be my first choice to ship out if I was GM. I'm fine with the Bargs/Bosh combo.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

Post#6 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Mon Apr 6, 2009 8:59 pm

If we rebuild do it the right way if were trading bosh we need a new franchise. I would trade Bosh for Griffin and Jose+Pick for Rubio+Bad contract and rebuild from there. I dont think Bosh is the problem or Jose we just need a SG i would rather get a SG and see these guys play with a great wing then trade them. Especially Bosh 25 year old superstar, id rather keep him and deal the pick+filler for a SG. BC is going about this the wrong way, no way do we contend for playoffs if we trade Bosh and/or Jose. If we do that its going to be for young players and we wont make the playoffs and i dont think BC wants that. I think he will keep bosh and jose and look to get a SG just my two cents though
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
ayo_23
Veteran
And1: 164

Post#7 » by ayo_23 » Mon Apr 6, 2009 9:02 pm

Jose and Bosh just aren't getting it done on defense so i don't mind shipping them out for the likes of Rubio and such.
I still can't buy into keeping Bosh if he's going to demand the max when he should be a second option.
TorontoSF
Senior

Post#8 » by TorontoSF » Mon Apr 6, 2009 9:03 pm

He said that reasons he believes that BC will trade Bosh are:

-PF shouldn't be paid the max and there aren't many examples of winning teams with PF paid the max, having to pay a PF the max will not allow us to spend that money on another star. I disagree with this statement, because BC has been saying for a while now that he wants to keep Bosh, but that also might be BC trying to drive Bosh's price up. Maybe BC already has a deal in place, idk its purley speculation. I don't think Bosh is deserving of the max, and I would like to trade him because of that, but based on what BC has said he believes the opposite.

-Bosh's knees are horrible, BC knows that it will eventually catch up with him and will want to trade him while his value is still high, and he isn't bombarded by injuries. I completely agree with this, Bosh has missed soo many games the past years, and alot of these injuries have to do with this knees.

-Trading Bosh will get us the biggest return.
SBC Packers
Sophomore

Post#9 » by SBC Packers » Mon Apr 6, 2009 9:03 pm

Did he say that he has solid sources like when he said Mats Sundin was going to New York? :nonono:
“If you want to get what nobody has, you have to do what nobody wants to do.” - Chris Bosh
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#10 » by Rhettmatic » Mon Apr 6, 2009 9:05 pm

Thanks for posting.

Bobcat is entertaining and everything, but tends to talk out of his ass. I wouldn't put too much stock into this.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
JL5
Bench Warmer
And1: 2

Post#11 » by JL5 » Mon Apr 6, 2009 9:06 pm

I don't see BC moving both Bosh AND Calderon. But trading Bosh could probably get us some nice pieces.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#12 » by YogiStewart » Mon Apr 6, 2009 9:06 pm

posters, please do not forget that Bob McCowan is to basketball analysis as what Manchu Wok is to Chinese cuisine.

so put his comments in perspective.

meanwhile, his chiropractor bill must be through the roof from his flopping and bandwagong jumping on Andrea Bargnani.
Phenomenologist
Veteran
And1: 107

Post#13 » by Phenomenologist » Mon Apr 6, 2009 9:07 pm

Rapsobsessed7 wrote:If we rebuild do it the right way if were trading bosh we need a new franchise. I would trade Bosh for Griffin and Jose+Pick for Rubio+Bad contract and rebuild from there. I dont think Bosh is the problem or Jose we just need a SG i would rather get a SG and see these guys play with a great wing then trade them. Especially Bosh 25 year old superstar, id rather keep him and deal the pick+filler for a SG. BC is going about this the wrong way, no way do we contend for playoffs if we trade Bosh and/or Jose. If we do that its going to be for young players and we wont make the playoffs and i dont think BC wants that. I think he will keep bosh and jose and look to get a SG just my two cents though

I fear you're right. IIRC, BC recently indicated that he might try and trade down in the draft (I think it was a fan 590 interview, but I can't remember exactly). He's also shipped out four picks since he got here, so it's pretty clear he doesn't like building through the draft (it seems he's too impatient). I expect some really desperate and ill-conceived moves this summer.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see but if BC bungles another offseason, I think it might be time to seriously consider a change.
itbobby007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,827

Post#14 » by itbobby007 » Mon Apr 6, 2009 9:08 pm

I'm all for a rebuild involving Griffen and Rubio. If it means losing Bosh/Jose/our pick in the process, I understand and am willing to endure a few losing seasons because of it.

I think the second biggest key to this off season after "is Bosh is staying or leaving", is what we are going to pay AB and if we can get him at a reasonable price over the max amount of years allowed. A deal starting at 8.5 mill would be ideal. It gives us roster flexibility. I would hate to give Bosh the max and then AB a deal starting at 10-11 mil because we essential would become a treadmill team.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#15 » by YogiStewart » Mon Apr 6, 2009 9:11 pm

Phenomenologist wrote:
Rapsobsessed7 wrote:If we rebuild do it the right way if were trading bosh we need a new franchise. I would trade Bosh for Griffin and Jose+Pick for Rubio+Bad contract and rebuild from there. I dont think Bosh is the problem or Jose we just need a SG i would rather get a SG and see these guys play with a great wing then trade them. Especially Bosh 25 year old superstar, id rather keep him and deal the pick+filler for a SG. BC is going about this the wrong way, no way do we contend for playoffs if we trade Bosh and/or Jose. If we do that its going to be for young players and we wont make the playoffs and i dont think BC wants that. I think he will keep bosh and jose and look to get a SG just my two cents though

I fear you're right. IIRC, BC recently indicated that he might try and trade down in the draft (I think it was a fan 590 interview, but I can't remember exactly). He's also shipped out four picks since he got here, so it's pretty clear he doesn't like building through the draft (it seems he's too impatient). I expect some really desperate and ill-conceived moves this summer.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see but if BC bungles another offseason, I think it might be time to seriously consider a change.

sorry, but you are incorrect.

BC said he would be interested in aquiring another 1st round pick in the late teens.
bakafool
RealGM
And1: 4,651

Post#16 » by bakafool » Mon Apr 6, 2009 9:12 pm

I predicted this recession. In your face Bobcat.
Noooo!!! Not Possible! Not Possible! - Comcast commentator after the shot by Mo Peterson.
lemondrop
Banned User

Post#17 » by lemondrop » Mon Apr 6, 2009 9:14 pm

As I have said many times you cannot win at the top level when the two players that you say are your best , logging the most minutes are far and away your worst defenders.

How can a d league player like Pops be a better defender than Bosh who is searching for a max contract? How can a d league player like Douby be a better defender than Calderon who makes 8-9 mill per? There is something fundementally wrong with that to me and one or both need to be moved. I prefer both because I think Bosh is leaving anyways and Jose at his age will never be a good enough defender.
The Letter V
Analyst
And1: 11

Post#18 » by The Letter V » Mon Apr 6, 2009 9:15 pm

I hope it's true, but I doubt it.

Well first I'd prefer we somehow manage to get ourselves the dynamic SG we've been missing. Who that player is, I have no idea, but if we do manage to get him while retaining our core players, you add a resigned Marion and I would be very pleased with that outcome. However, if our coveted SG eludes us yet another off-season, I'd prefer they blow this whole thing up and that starts with moving CB, Jose and packaging Kapono and Banks along with them.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Doug Smith Lays Out His Moves to Fix Things 

Post#19 » by J-Roc » Mon Apr 6, 2009 9:17 pm

With the Bobcat, Doug is all defensive about the Raps, and says they should bring back CB, AB, Jose, Marion and Triano. Bobcat asks, well then how can they improve? Doug's master plan to fix things...

1. Let Joey Graham go.
2. Find someone better than Hump or Pops off the bench.
3. Find a way to move Kapono.

Yes, that's it. That's all.
bakafool
RealGM
And1: 4,651

Post#20 » by bakafool » Mon Apr 6, 2009 9:17 pm

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a starting lineup of:

Bargs
Pops
Marion
That slashing SG we desperately need
Jose
Noooo!!! Not Possible! Not Possible! - Comcast commentator after the shot by Mo Peterson.

Return to Toronto Raptors