ImageImageImageImageImage

Stat of the day: Comparing DeRozan's college #'s to VC's.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

notic101
Lead Assistant
And1: 48

Re: Stat of the day: Comparing DeRozan's college #'s to VC's. 

Post#21 » by notic101 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:51 pm

I don't usually comment on these things because it's still a ways away, and things can change with predraft WOs, but this is the guy I want, above any other swingman. I hope he falls to our pick, come on Bball Gods (*cough Stern *cough), make it happen.
andrew2good4u
Starter
And1: 104

Post#22 » by andrew2good4u » Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:58 pm

I kind of want 2 picks this draft. That way we lower our chances of grabbing a bust
Props to triplemke23
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,151

Post#23 » by HiJiNX » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:18 pm

Big difference between Derozan and VC is that VC has an incredible first step (the best since MJ) while DD's isn't that great. VC also has a better natural feel for the game.

With that said, I want Demar Derozan badly at our pick as he'll be a great player in the NBA IMO.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
MacDaddy
RealGM
And1: 428

Post#24 » by MacDaddy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:42 pm

Vince Carter was 10X the basketball player coming out of college that DeRozan is. It's unfortunate that DeRozan is being pressured out of college by his mother's health, because another year or two in school would significantly reduce his chances of washing out of the league.
Michael Bradley
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#25 » by Michael Bradley » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:55 pm

Carter in college did not have handles or a consistent jumper. What he did have was a very explosive first step and freakish athleticism. His first step was able to compensate for his lack of elite handling ability (which he improved on since coming into the league) and he was able to improve his jumper with time.

DeRozan is a super athlete....other than that, I cannot say he and Vince are all too similar. Maybe Vince is DD's ceiling if everything breaks right, but there are a lot of guys like that out of college who flop miserably.
Volcano
RealGM
And1: 7,780

Post#26 » by Volcano » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:06 pm

I don't remember VC's first step being THAT explosive. I'd say Wade has a quicker first step.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,541

Post#27 » by DG88 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:21 pm

If you look back at what both players have done in there first year in college it's very similar. Both didn't have great ball handling skills but were monsters in the open court because of there sheer athleticism. If Demar stay in college for another year he'll be incredible. If he gets drafted (hopefully by us) he can work on his handle and improve on his jumpshot and be a great player. He has the tools he just needs time.
HiJiNX
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 12,151

Post#28 » by HiJiNX » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:05 am

Volcano wrote:I don't remember VC's first step being THAT explosive. I'd say Wade has a quicker first step.

Go back and watch some VC mixes on youtube. Rarely does Vince ever beat his defender with a crossover or dribble move...it's usually just one dribble, boom, he's gone and jumping over somebody.
not strong, only aggresive cuz the power ain't directed/ that's why, we are subjected to the will of the oppressive
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,541

Post#29 » by DG88 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:11 am

HiJiNX wrote:
Volcano wrote:I don't remember VC's first step being THAT explosive. I'd say Wade has a quicker first step.

Go back and watch some VC mixes on youtube. Rarely does Vince ever beat his defender with a crossover or dribble move...it's usually just one dribble, boom, he's gone and jumping over somebody.

Your right i was watching some of those clips he was just and open court player and good just jump over anybody. If Derozan says one more year he'll be great.
Rapsfan4life
Rookie
And1: 56

Post#30 » by Rapsfan4life » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:13 am

If we do draft derozen, the only thing we will need from him in his rookie year is his rebounding at the 2 guard spot, solid D off the bench and game changing dunks.
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#31 » by Southward1 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:06 am

Trax416 wrote:
Southward1 wrote:Ok people need to stop comparing him to Vince Carter. The only thing they have alike is they are both uber athletic.

Vince could: Slash, Create his own shot, Pass well, had an ungodly first step, handle the ball at times at the point and was a underrated defender on a very good north carolina team.

Do you watch any of DeMar DeRozan? Did you watch any of VC in college?

I am starting to wonder if the average age of people on RealGM is 12.

VC in college played almost EXACTLY the same as DeMar. The only reason his shooting percentages were better, is because he barely shot in his freshman season.

DeMar can slash, create his own shot, pass and has an amazing first step. The problem is once he creates his own shot, his jumper needs work.

DeMar and Vince play almost the same, even down to how their shot looked in college and the poses done after dunks.

Vince was more well roundede coming out of the NCAA, because he spent three years there. DeMar would not only average better numbers if he spent three years in the NCAA, but would probably be the number 1 pick at that point.

Every player coming from the draft needs to improve. The only good all around shooter that MAY decalre is Jeff Teague. Everyone else has holes in their shooting. That includes DeMar.

Demar's jumper is fine from mid-range and he really has only started to use his 3 point shot which can always improve.

Demar can't slash, can't create his own shot, is a bad passer and doesn't have blow by ability in his first-step.

I don't know who you watching, but it isn't Demar Derozan.
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#32 » by Hendrix » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:47 am

Trax416 wrote:[

Do you watch any of DeMar DeRozan? Did you watch any of VC in college?

I am starting to wonder if the average age of people on RealGM is 12.

VC in college played almost EXACTLY the same as DeMar. The only reason his shooting percentages were better, is because he barely shot in his freshman season.

DeMar can slash, create his own shot, pass and has an amazing first step. The problem is once he creates his own shot, his jumper needs work.

DeMar and Vince play almost the same, even down to how their shot looked in college and the poses done after dunks.

Vince was more well roundede coming out of the NCAA, because he spent three years there. DeMar would not only average better numbers if he spent three years in the NCAA, but would probably be the number 1 pick at that point.

Every player coming from the draft needs to improve. The only good all around shooter that MAY decalre is Jeff Teague. Everyone else has holes in their shooting. That includes DeMar.

Did you watch a single game of Derozen this year trax? Because this is all BS.

Derozen does not have an amazing first step, has shown very little passing the ball, and creating for himself. I don't know how you can question someone else and then write that crap.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
cookieman
Sixth Man
And1: 192

Post#33 » by cookieman » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:10 am

I was at UNC when Vince was, I went to all the games, sat very close to the court, and let me tell you Derozan doesn't have half the ball skills Vince had. VC was playing for Dean Smith in a very structured system. They ran their offense through Jamison and Serge Zwikker in the post. Rarely, if ever, did Vince get an opportunity to dribble drive or even shoot from the outside. I sat there thinking - why don't they just give Vince the ball and get the hell out of the way? It was clear he could beat his man one on one anytime he wanted. But that's not the Dean Smith way (not a knock on Dean). Where are the Derozan game-changing dunks that have been mentioned here? I didn't see them this year. Derozan is a guy who scores on the offensive glass and on mid-range jumpers. He's not the type to blow by his man and dunk over someone like Tim Duncan (a VC classic I saw from the 3rd row). If Derozan, who was counted on to be a stud right away (VC was not), improves like Vince did, this is a conversation worth having then, but other than their vertical leaps, they are a good basis of comparison. Derozan currently has the skillset of a Desmond Mason, not Vince. Maybe that will change, but his first season in college was mostly disappointing.
SanJoseGrind
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#34 » by SanJoseGrind » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:51 pm

say no to tyreke evans
say yes to derozan or terrence williams
TiKusDom
Banned User
And1: 117

Post#35 » by TiKusDom » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:46 pm

cookieman wrote:I was at UNC when Vince was, I went to all the games, sat very close to the court, and let me tell you Derozan doesn't have half the ball skills Vince had. VC was playing for Dean Smith in a very structured system. They ran their offense through Jamison and Serge Zwikker in the post. Rarely, if ever, did Vince get an opportunity to dribble drive or even shoot from the outside. I sat there thinking - why don't they just give Vince the ball and get the hell out of the way? It was clear he could beat his man one on one anytime he wanted. But that's not the Dean Smith way (not a knock on Dean). Where are the Derozan game-changing dunks that have been mentioned here? I didn't see them this year. Derozan is a guy who scores on the offensive glass and on mid-range jumpers. He's not the type to blow by his man and dunk over someone like Tim Duncan (a VC classic I saw from the 3rd row). If Derozan, who was counted on to be a stud right away (VC was not), improves like Vince did, this is a conversation worth having then, but other than their vertical leaps, they are a good basis of comparison. Derozan currently has the skillset of a Desmond Mason, not Vince. Maybe that will change, but his first season in college was mostly disappointing.

Um where are his game changing dunks? Heres a little taste of a Pac-10 tournament game against UCLA. Ill let you watch 5 of his dunks against UCLA and you can decide which one changed the game more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4nptX_MCxY

Maybe if you followed DeMar more you would of noticed game changing athleticism and dunks :).

This is DeMar owning ASU and pudgy Harden for the Pac-10 championship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0iNRCEh ... re=related

DeMar dominated this game . Why dont you look at DeMars 3 point play close to 3 mins into the video. Then you can come on here and say that DeMar doesnt change the game with his athleticism. He completely dominated Harden's team and propelled his team to the win. Why dont you look at 4:50 when DeMar blows by his defender for a monster dunk . If you are going to compare every dunk of DeMar's to VC's dunk on Tim Duncan then you might as well say every player coming out of college stinks because they couldnt pull off a dunk on one of the greatest big men of all time. DeMar outplayed and outperformed the Pac-10 player of the year Harden and won his team their first Pac-10 championship ever. I suggest you watch more of DeRozan because clearly you dont know the things he is capable of doing.

Return to Toronto Raptors