ImageImageImageImageImage

Doug Smith fully expects Marion to go in sign-and-trade

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

CrownJ
Senior
And1: 32

Re: Doug Smith fully expects Marion to go in sign-and-trade 

Post#101 » by CrownJ » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:46 pm

that two guard part keeps reminding me of barbosa
Trax416
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#102 » by Trax416 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:09 pm

Sign and trade Marion for a shooting guard, draft Earl Clark and try to sign Hedo in the off-season.
Uros Slowcar
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#103 » by Uros Slowcar » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:28 pm

Marion is the perfect SF in a Bosh & Bargnani frontcourt. Keep him.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#104 » by timdunkit » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:34 pm

Rapsobsessed7 wrote:i dont like AK, he doesnt fit i would rather have Jefferson, Howard, Prince, Hedo, Jackson. All of those guys should be available and i would believe prince would be and if they sign Boozer marion is the perfect SF for detroit. Ak doesnt do it for me, dont like his style of play without Jerry he wouldnt be anything IMO. Id rather keep marion than go after AK

Prince is out of our reach. I am not sure about SJax, he is there captain and Nelly seems to love him. Howard is possible and Hedo is a free agent (who doesn't solve our defensive problems with Bosh and Bargs). Jefferson is another great idea, who I think could be had, he doesn't provide as much as Marion defensively and rebounding but gives us a scoring wing.
Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#105 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:46 pm

Dennis P wrote:Why does Utah take on a 4yr bad contract to rid them of a 2yr bad contract? that makes no sense you take the shorter term and hope to rebuild later when AK's contract is up. Marion will not be a difference maker there at best he is about the same and older! that is a terrible trade.

You could sign Marion for 13.2 million with 2nd and 3rd year team options.

S&T him to Utah which saves them 3mil and change this season which should be enough to get Milsap his money and keep this team competitive and under the lux tax.

Utah can then just not exercise the 2nd year team option and Marion goes out in 2010 and find his last contract. If Boozer or Okur take off, Utah can then still exercise Marions' second year option to keep the roster balanced.

For this "favourable" trade to Utah, they would have to throw in the NYK 2010 unprotected first rounder.

So: Marion S&T for AK47 + NYK 2010 pick.

There, Utah happy.....Raptors happy.
pspot
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#106 » by pspot » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:47 pm

Uros Slowcar wrote:Marion is the perfect SF in a Bosh & Bargnani frontcourt. Keep him.

yeah and if hte goal is to get a sg that can shoot then it just solidifies Marion a non jumpshooting, rebouding, defending SF

guy doesn't need a shot to get into the game, athletic, defensive, etc
nm
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM
And1: 4,553

Post#107 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:36 pm

if look to trade the rights to #9+Roko+Kapono for Barbosa+Tucker first if not than i would do a deal of.

Raptors Trade
S&T Shawn Marion 8,500,000
Kris Humphries $2,900,000
= 11,400,000 X 1.25 + 100,000
= 14, 350,000

Bucks Trade:
Richard Jefferson $14,200,000

gives us a scoring guard, id try to go after Howard first then Jefferson but id be happy with this add in our draft pick and we would be pretty good next year we get more scoring at the 3 but lose rebounding.
Canadafan wrote:Bojan Burks Stewart for Siakam.
2 expiring vets that help now. A young big to add to the Scottie timeline
I'd prefer to keep Stew and give Monte Morris
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#108 » by timdunkit » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:47 pm

Rapsobsessed7 wrote:if look to trade the rights to #9+Roko+Kapono for Barbosa+Tucker first if not than i would do a deal of.

Raptors Trade
S&T Shawn Marion 8,500,000
Kris Humphries $2,900,000
= 11,400,000 X 1.25 + 100,000
= 14, 350,000

Bucks Trade:
Richard Jefferson $14,200,000

gives us a scoring guard, id try to go after Howard first then Jefferson but id be happy with this add in our draft pick and we would be pretty good next year we get more scoring at the 3 but lose rebounding.

Interesting idea , I think i'd prefer to keep the pick and pick up a defensive SG in free agent market like Childress or even cheaper Keith Bogans. Draft a SG and resign Joey, and Pops. Min Rasho :D. Then if we do the Jefferson trade we would have a balance team. Srry, Rapsobsessed I can't see BC wanted to trade the pick this year, he really seems interested in this draft. This would leave us with:

Jose / Roko / Banks / Douby?
Bogans / Derozan? / Kapono
Jefferson / Joey G
Bosh / Pops / POB
Bargs/ Rasho / POB
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#109 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:00 am

he does seem interested well that works for me except i would change it a little.

Trade Kapono+Roko+Cash to OKC for Watson+27th since hes fallen out of their lineup and they are 3rd worst 3 point shooting team, Kapono+Roko expire the same time Durant/Green need an extension and Watsons expiring lets us extend Bargnani/Bosh.

- Sign Delfino 3.5 million
- Sign MLE Player (if wanted)
- Sign Rasho vet min
- Draft Hansbrough (#27)
- Draft Derozan (#9)
- Resign Parker 1.5 million

Calderon/Watson/Banks
Delfino/Parker
Jefferson/Derozan
Bosh/Pops/Hansbrough
Bargnani/Rasho/O'Byrant

Id be content with something like that, we would still have the MLE as well dont know if OKC does it but its something i would look to do if im the raptors.
I'd really prefer to keep Morris and Stew and give the great Killian Hayes and 2nd round picks
lemondrop
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#110 » by lemondrop » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:07 am

LOL@ Marion accepting a trade to the Bucks, what better place to end your career in then the championship caliber Bucks under the bright lights of Milwaukee.
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#111 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:09 am

he doesnt really have a choice hes getting 3 million above the MLE so if he wants to win a championship go to a team for the MLE if he wants years/money than he has no say and i think Sessions, Redd, Clarke(draft pick), Marion, Bogut is a good team and they could also get a package back for CV (S&T) and also would have a ton of money in 2011 to turn it around.
rocket2981
Senior
And1: 24

Post#112 » by rocket2981 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:29 am

What about a SnT Marion for Jamal Crawford + Bellinelli or Wright? I know that Crawford is a loser but he could be decent as a starting SG and expires in 2011, giving us huge flexibility with Crawford, Kapono, Hump, Ukic and Banks all expiring that summer. In Bellinelli or Wright we got the sweetener for us to take on Crawford whom they want to get rid of. Marco could be a really nice young SG for us in the future...
jay632
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#113 » by jay632 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:46 am

how often is doug smith right? he just makes generalizations, my guess is marion will just walk.
Amped
Starter
And1: 49

Post#114 » by Amped » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:49 am

Spartan13 wrote:If Marion ends up leaving, i really think we lost that trade...

Not really, since we can use his money to sign another player who would take the acquired player(s) place.
NStav
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#115 » by NStav » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:09 am

If Marion goes without a sign and trade,sure we'll sign someone but that means we've lost our mid level exception since we can't have both cap space and the MLE. At least with Marion, we can keep a starting SF AND still have the ability to sign a player with the MLE plus re-sign our own free agents ie Parker, Delfino etc. Not to mention we'll have given up a first round pick for the chance at some cap space in a summer with limited free agent help if Marion walks.

It's pretty much essential to get the Marion issue resolved as quickly as possible this summer be it by signing him or dealing him in order for the proper snowball effect of signings to take place. I thought BC pretty much stated its importance the other day.
KING01
Banned User

Post#116 » by KING01 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:31 am

All these trade Ideas are just spinning around and are weak. AK47 is not the player for this team.

I would look to do something with Atlanta since Marvin is a free agent.

also Nick Young is a player I like, because he can create for himself and others.

We should be looking to fleece either Washington or G STate for some of their young swing men.

Peace
Spartan13
Banned User

Post#117 » by Spartan13 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:11 am

no AK!!! im hopin BC's comments were just him playing hardball...
Rapsobsessed7
RealGM

Post#118 » by Rapsobsessed7 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:00 pm

Hi Doug,

May I know what is your reasoning behind expecting Marion to be signed-and-traded?

Unless Marion demands for a sign-and-trade, I don't see why the Raptors would want to do it -

1. Marion is a 4-time all-star, good at transition, high basketball IQ and still at his prime. The Raptors also needs his rebounding.

2. Financially, if we can sign him to a 7 million per year deal, why should we keep him? If not, why would any other team want his contract in a sign-and-trade deal (not to mention it is most likely a long-term contract we are talking about here)?

-SY

Blogger's note: I think his financial demands compared to his age and his abilities, might be too great for this team. THat may not happen but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

First, is there any chances Jason Kapono will remain a Raptor?

Secondly, do you think that Roko will be a Raptor next year?

and finally Nathan Jawai and Patrick O'Bryant are both young, I understand the sense to get rid of Pops in favor of them, and I don't understand why people are all jumpy about keeping O'Bryant in favor of Pops, O'Bryant had good games with the Raps when he started, and he outproduced Pops, and didn't turn it over every time he touched the ball near his knees, I think that if O'Bryant can put on weight then he could be a legitimate center. That was more of statement I guess.

Thanks for taking the time to read this response, love the blog, read it every day.

Liam McGuire

Blogger's note: I assume they'll try to trade Jason but have no clue whether they'll be successful and no matter how disappointed they may sound like they are in Roko, I can't see them giving up on a promising 24-year-old point guard

Doug - who do you envision Marion being sign-and-traded to? What teams might have interest?

Blogger's note: No clue at the moment

About the "substantial" change, do you think it's possible to even make 2 of the above happen? To me, all they can get is a new 2-guard (with Marion money), and a rookie swingman from the draft. They just don't have the pieces to deal around to make someone happy and get those things in return. Kapono and Joey? C'mon, they will get you nothing in return.

Blogger's note: Of course I do, or I wouldn't written that. They will have the mid-level exception to spend on one guy or split among a couple (if they don't renounce Marion and they aren't likely to), they could have a second first-round draft pick, they will have the bi-annual exception and as many veteran minimum exceptions as they want.
So yes, that can happen. Will it? We'll have to wait until October to see

Doug, have your heard any chatter from your sources in the organization regarding Ettore Messina? There has been speculation from other scribes that BC will be meeting with him during the Euro final four at the beginning of next month. Any chance he ends up as Jay's assistant or vice-versa?

Blogger's note: No, I don't see it happening.

just thought id share some of that it answers some questions about Messina, Marion, Roko and we might finally see the end of Jason Kapono
power works
Sixth Man
And1: 241

Post#119 » by power works » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:19 pm

If things are really screwed up in Detroit, then maybe JD would want to shake things up again.

Marion for Prince.

Good for the Raps but, I get the sense that Pistons want to get younger.
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#120 » by Gold Chain » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:09 pm

power works wrote:If things are really screwed up in Detroit, then maybe JD would want to shake things up again.

Marion for Prince.

Good for the Raps but, I get the sense that Pistons want to get younger.

What about Rip Hamilton? I know it is a pipe dream but he was none to happy with the Billups trade and is on a new extension. I would love to have him here, as would I Ben Gordon.

Anyone...but Richard Jefferson. Yuck. Come on guys, that is almost as bad as people suggesting we get back the old broken down racehorse known as T-Mac. Garbage idea.

Return to Toronto Raptors