ImageImageImageImageImage

What is Nash's situation?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

diggity_88
Junior
And1: 0

What is Nash's situation? 

Post#1 » by diggity_88 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:22 am

I remember reading before that there was was something going on about Phoenix buying out his contract? or something along the lines. Can someone explain to me in detail the situation and how its possible.

Also, if they do redo his contract, what do you think they'll sign for? 3-5 mil per yr?

P.s. I know there has been a thread about this before, I just can't find it.
ForeveRaptorFan
Sixth Man
And1: 11

Re: What is Nash's situation? 

Post#2 » by ForeveRaptorFan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:25 am

From what I know, Nash's contract has a team option for next season, and since it's unlikely that the Suns are going to be a major contender in years to come, they might decide to rebuild and hence not pick up Nash's option which would make him a FA.

Plus their owner is well known to be stingy and cheap, so it might be possible.
Following Bargnani's Progress since entering the League: Bargnani, Ill Mago, Barney, Bustnani, Bust and a Nani, Beastnani, Beardnani, Killer B...
diggity_88
Junior

Post#3 » by diggity_88 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:28 am

ForeveRaptorFan wrote:From what I know, Nash's contract has a team option for next season, and since it's unlikely that the Suns are going to be a major contender in years to come, they might decide to rebuild and hence not pick up Nash's option which would make him a FA.

When you say next season does that mean that we could try to aquire him for alot cheaper THIS summer, or next summer?
ForeveRaptorFan
Sixth Man
And1: 11

Post#4 » by ForeveRaptorFan » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:38 am

diggity_88 wrote:
ForeveRaptorFan wrote:From what I know, Nash's contract has a team option for next season, and since it's unlikely that the Suns are going to be a major contender in years to come, they might decide to rebuild and hence not pick up Nash's option which would make him a FA.

When you say next season does that mean that we could try to aquire him for alot cheaper THIS summer, or next summer?

This summer, that is if the Suns let him go, and if we decide to sign him.
Following Bargnani's Progress since entering the League: Bargnani, Ill Mago, Barney, Bustnani, Bust and a Nani, Beastnani, Beardnani, Killer B...
diggity_88
Junior

Post#5 » by diggity_88 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:41 am

ForeveRaptorFan wrote:
diggity_88 wrote:

This summer, that is if the Suns let him go, and if we decide to sign him.

No no, I understand. I'm just bored right now playing GM. So just one last quick question, if they dont pick up his team option, could they resign him after for a sign and trade?
Mascot
Lead Assistant
And1: 972

Post#6 » by Mascot » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:28 pm

the suns will pick up the option, he can be traded during the offseason or the season for much more value than just not picking up the option.
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#7 » by Gold Chain » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:33 pm

Just throwing this out there, but could we possibly see an Orlando push for Steve Nash?

I know they have Nelson, but I see them doing something drastic this offseason to close the gap with Clev? Something with Turk and Nash? Just a thought.

Nash in Toronto would signal the end of Jose in T-Dot and I don't see that happening at his price tag.
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 123

Post#8 » by Three34 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:38 pm

It's not an option, it's a partially guaranteed contract. If it was an option, then declining it means they'd owe him $0 for next year, but still have Bird rights on him to re-sign him if they wanted. But, as it's a partially guaranteed contract (for about $7 million; no, I don't know exactly), then the only way to save money is to waive him (which means no Bird rights and that he'd be gone), and even then they wouldn't save a huge amount. So he's going to be staying almost certainly.
Tim Horton
Analyst
And1: 1,233

Post#9 » by Tim Horton » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:44 pm

from Colangelo's press conference, he is definitely aiming for a veteran PG. now which veteran PG is that? i wonder? Triano will definitely get his job back if this happens.

pspot
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#10 » by pspot » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:45 pm

yeah for as much as I'd love them to just not pick up his option, they still have Shaq's contract so might as well pick up Nash's and then deal him during the season and get something for him

p.s. Having Nash would be great
- Marion would probably resign for a reasonable contract
- it would help attract other FA's
- it would solidfy the PG spot
- it would give us a clutch gaurd who can run the offense, or take a big shot
- if Bosh leaves it aleast buys the Raps some time from a marketing/fan base perspective (casual fans and TO media)
- and just having him finish his career in Canada would be sick
nm
Maritimer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 78

Post#11 » by Maritimer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:04 pm

Thanks for that clarification Sham. Shoots a bunch of my offseason ideas all to hell...
On LeBron not committing fouls:
Marvin! wrote:He also doesn't poo... his body transforms food into flower seeds, which he then sends to poor inner city neighborhoods and distributes free of charge. Let us all give thanks and praise him!
chuckerz
Bench Warmer
And1: 161

Post#12 » by chuckerz » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:56 pm

I think the suns are going to stick to the run and gun. O'neal will be traded for an athletic big like Chandler and they can go back to winning. But if i was nash, i would just sign for the vet minimum when the contract expires for a championship team. I'm pretty sure nash wouldn't mind coming off the bench and have a reserve role.
jay632
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#13 » by jay632 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:52 pm

^ how do you know nash is about championship? he has expressed interest in coming to toronto, obviously he isn't about winning. But i don't think toronto could afford him.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#14 » by J-Roc » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:18 pm

I'd really like to see Steve Nash on the Raptors. More and more it's the most realistic scenario I can see to improve this team.
tradedmascot_14
Senior

Post#15 » by tradedmascot_14 » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:28 pm

double c wrote:Just throwing this out there, but could we possibly see an Orlando push for Steve Nash?

I know they have Nelson, but I see them doing something drastic this offseason to close the gap with Clev? Something with Turk and Nash? Just a thought.

Nash in Toronto would signal the end of Jose in T-Dot and I don't see that happening at his price tag.

I don't see this happening. Nelson is just coming into his own as an all-star whereas Nash would only be good for another couple years. I think Orlando is looking to steadily build around Howard and Nelson. The supporting cast may change (Lewis and Turk) in a few years, but I don't think the Magic are one of the teams making a mad dash for the finish line like say Boston or Dallas.

Return to Toronto Raptors