ImageImageImageImageImage

Call for SOTD topics

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Call for SOTD topics 

Post#1 » by supersub15 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:02 pm

I'm currently out of fresh ideas, so if you like to see something covered or discussed, post it here and I'll draw up a list and go from there.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,674

Re: Call for SOTD topics 

Post#2 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:12 pm

Just a thought Supsub, but you have a real talent, or skil I guess, for getting those formula's together. I'd like to see you take the next step and do more analysis as well. Maybe try and observe playoff games or series's, then make an assessment, and use the stats to support your assessment, of why they won or why they lost. It would be good to read for those who don't catch the games, and it would be good for you too, to develop further as an analyst. I mean the stuff you do has too much "value added" to be just another fan on a message board sounding off, so why not go the extra step.

I guess what I'm saying is break it down, big man, break it down.
BC4CB4
Senior
And1: 506

Post#3 » by BC4CB4 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:55 pm

Hi SS,

How about some kind of stat for the 14 general managers (or all active managers with x number of drafts under their belt) in the lottery this year whereby you rank their overall drafting success with a formula that considers the player's PER over the course of their careers, adjusted somehow for the position they were drafted, and the overall strength of the draft class (maybe average PER of the lottery picks in that draft - actually, the PER for each draft as a stat alone would be interesting!).

In other words, just because a GM drafts Lebron, doesn't mean he's a master of the draft. Likewise, a GM drafting between 10 and 14 most of the time shouldn't be expected to achieve the same results from the draft over the past decade as a GM consistently drafting in the 1-7 range...
"If I ever get real rich, I hope I'm not mean to poor people, like I am now."
-- Jack Handey

"The amount of people who confuse "to" and "too" is amazing two me."
-- Will Ferrell
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#4 » by Alfred » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:55 pm

I think you should mash stats together to create funny, odd stats. Like Win Shares divided by Fouls Per Minute. Or PER with defensive rating included. Something like that. Just come up with crazy stats. Those are always the most fun to read, and they don't HAVE to make complete sense.
forrestek
Junior
And1: 30

Post#5 » by forrestek » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:08 pm

SS:

I understand that team defensive is difficult to measure.

However, is there any statistical correlations between what we would all agree are "great defensive teams"? (and poor defensive teams) I.e. steels, rebounds, turnovers etc.?
RocLaFamilia
Lead Assistant
And1: 34

Post#6 » by RocLaFamilia » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:31 pm

I brought this idea up a while ago, you might have not seen it. But I was trying to think of a way to emphasize the SG-SF position for the Raps. I was thinking something like the STAT line for those 2 positions when the Raps won a game. I was thinking their might be sort of trend (ex: Raps generally win when AP scores above 18 points). Just something that may actually show statistically how much we need improvement at that position.
dacrusha wrote:
In 2009, when Wright asked a Colorado judge to intervene, Weems didn’t even bother sending a lawyer to court.

Since when does Weems bring any kind of defense to the court anyway?
bthrawn
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#7 » by bthrawn » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:52 pm

How about championships and wins by all stars. What I mean is the Bulls in the 90's won because of MJ an all star shooting guard while Malone and Stockton were all stars PF and point and never had the success of the Bulls. It just seems to me that all star wing players result in more wins and championships than the other positions. It would be interesting to see how many wins can be associated with having great wing players versus the other positions and follow that to which all star position results in more championships.
Alfred
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,853

Post#8 » by Alfred » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:06 pm

bthrawn wrote:How about championships and wins by all stars. What I mean is the Bulls in the 90's won because of MJ an all star shooting guard while Malone and Stockton were all stars PF and point and never had the success of the Bulls. It just seems to me that all star wing players result in more wins and championships than the other positions. It would be interesting to see how many wins can be associated with having great wing players versus the other positions and follow that to which all star position results in more championships.

What about Win Shares by position. Just find out which position has the most win shares?
distracted
Veteran
And1: 56

Post#9 » by distracted » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:13 pm

How about league-wide stats for regular season vs playoffs (once first round is over).

There's always talk about how the playoffs are more physical and stuff is let go, so we should look at league wide off/deff efficiency and fouls.

We could also look at what made teams win. Was there a greater correlation towards winning with great offense or great defense, def/off rebounding rate, etc. This could be interesting to track as we go forward. Ie. Great offense is more likely to get you out of the first round then great defense, but after that its defense that's king (or vice versa)

Just some ideas.
BC4CB4
Senior
And1: 506

Post#10 » by BC4CB4 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:16 pm

Alfred wrote:
bthrawn wrote:How about championships and wins by all stars. What I mean is the Bulls in the 90's won because of MJ an all star shooting guard while Malone and Stockton were all stars PF and point and never had the success of the Bulls. It just seems to me that all star wing players result in more wins and championships than the other positions. It would be interesting to see how many wins can be associated with having great wing players versus the other positions and follow that to which all star position results in more championships.

What about Win Shares by position. Just find out which position has the most win shares?

I think this was at least partially covered here: http://caldeford.blogspot.com/
"If I ever get real rich, I hope I'm not mean to poor people, like I am now."
-- Jack Handey

"The amount of people who confuse "to" and "too" is amazing two me."
-- Will Ferrell
CrookedJ
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,764

Post#11 » by CrookedJ » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:50 pm

Last summer i tried to create a "slashing" index to account for a player's desire to attack the hoop. I never got a good formula, but since we still need some this offseason of that maybe you can give it a try.

I tried using the "hot spots" stats on NBA.com to figure out what percentage of shots were at the hoop, coupled with FTA's.
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#12 » by supersub15 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:06 pm

Good ideas, I'll be working on some.

Any more?
RocLaFamilia
Lead Assistant
And1: 34

Post#13 » by RocLaFamilia » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:12 am

How about Championship teams (last 10-15 years) wing players production? See if there is any team that has won without a good/decent guard rotation
dacrusha wrote:
In 2009, when Wright asked a Colorado judge to intervene, Weems didn’t even bother sending a lawyer to court.

Since when does Weems bring any kind of defense to the court anyway?
youngLion
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#14 » by youngLion » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:04 am

supersub15 wrote:Good ideas, I'll be working on some.

Any more?

Hmm...

What about ninja? Everyone likes ninjas! Now we all know that ninja are awesome, but naturally some are more awesome than others. I suggest that you develop a ninja awesomeness index.

Return to Toronto Raptors