ImageImageImageImageImage

Draft Countdown: Brandon Jennings

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,269

Re: Draft Countdown: Brandon Jennings 

Post#41 » by Crazy-Canuck » Thu May 14, 2009 9:23 am

His talent has never been the question. He had some growing up to do and to gain a better grasp of the game.

From all accounts, it looks like he has matured and has learned to play the game the right way. Jumpshot is much easier to fix than his attitude.
TiKusDom
Banned User
And1: 117

Post#42 » by TiKusDom » Thu May 14, 2009 10:33 am

Hes definitely gone by 9 , cant see GSW passing on him . They are as desperate for a pg as we are for a sg, probably more so.
rapsrealm
Assistant Coach
And1: 424

DX: Brandon Jennings Interview 

Post#43 » by rapsrealm » Thu May 14, 2009 2:22 pm

Check it out:

Jonathan G provides a scouting report in some of his recent game and provides a video interview as well.

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#Brandon-Jennings-Biding-his-Time-in-Rome-3212
DonkeyPunch
Junior
And1: 56

Post#44 » by DonkeyPunch » Thu May 14, 2009 5:34 pm

If he falls to us you can't pass on jennings.

Maybe people point to his paltry stats and minutes in Europe, but he was just an **** kid playing against men, real pros. If reports are any indicatation, he matured massively across the pond.

If we want to run, Jennings should be our draft choice if possible. You all want a creating sg, but give me TJ of two seasons ago and a couple defensive minded sgs that can hit a J and we have 50 wins.

Jennings reminds me so much of ford, and is even more of an atheletic monster.

"To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women." Conan
pspot
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#45 » by pspot » Thu May 14, 2009 9:25 pm

I don't mind that Europe exposed his game I just hope that it helped him mature and that for me would make him a worthy pick at 9

adding that talent on a kid that has hopefully been humbled would be great
nm
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#46 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Thu May 14, 2009 10:08 pm

Jennings sounds like he has matured a ton, from watching the video interview that Jonathan Givony did on draftexpress.com.

The thing that I like is, is that he seems to know what his weaknesses are, and appears to be willing to work on them.

I'll take this Jennings over the Jennings we heard of in high school. From the looks of it, he is completely different from when he was in high school, in terms of maturity in his game.
just23
Rookie
And1: 0

Excellent interview and article with Brandon Jennings. 

Post#47 » by just23 » Sat May 16, 2009 9:34 pm

I just saw a video on draftexpress.com which accompanied an article on point guard Brandon Jennings.
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonath ... -Rome-3212

Every time I've seen his name mentioned on any threads it's always with some sort of criticism of him not only as a player, but as a person. If what the article and video shows is any indication of who this young man really is, then you guys have been very wrong about him.

I saw his highlight videos from high-school and to me he looked like Kenny Anderson with some dunking. His playground moves blew me away. However, there has been a lot of talk about him being too flashy or cocky on the court, as well as too dumb off it.

In the article it's mentioned that on several occasions during a scrimmage he stops on a fast break, pulls out and runs a play instead of forcing something fancy. Apparently he's calmed down to a drastic extent and is actually quit passive for the most part. He also is shooting 500 shots a day or so to improve his shot. This tells me that Brandon is a young man who takes his chosen career seriously and understands now that it isn't all about him. He also understands what he needs to work on to be successful.

Most impressive though is the first impression I got of Brandon Jennings in his interview. He isn't a cocky kid at all. He's a shy and obviously nervous young man(about being on camera) who seems rather modest despite being a pro at such a young age and living in Rome, one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

We also find out that he recently donated 50,000 dollars to relief from the earthquake that hit Italy. While you may say he is a pro now and can afford it, the fact is that this is his first year making any real money and to make such a large donation tells me that he is a caring young man with empathy for others. Most athletes are buying every expensive toy they can find when they first start making money. This is quite refreshing to see.

I'd really recommend checking out the interview. I've always thought that this guy was too talented to be the bust some had projected him to be and this interview and article makes me pretty sure that he'll develop into one of the better point guards in the league. If Colangelo were to blow the Raptors up this summer I'd be quite happy with Jennings as our new point guard of the future. He looks like he's more ready for the NBA than most.

I'm offically on the Brandon Jennings bandwagon....It'll be tough with my Rubio and Terrence Williams bandwagons already, but I'll manage.
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,472

Re: Excellent interview and article with Brandon Jennings. 

Post#48 » by C_Money » Sat May 16, 2009 10:19 pm

I've never seen him play. Who would you compare his game to?
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,463

Post#49 » by Dr Positivity » Sat May 16, 2009 10:25 pm

C_Money wrote:I've never seen him play. Who would you compare his game to?

I'd say TJ with more true PG/passing skills. He's extremely explosive and athletic, he'll probably be one of the most athletic PGs in the league. He's not far behind Rose in that level, though Rose has a huge advantage on him in the mental and poise aspect of the game, as well as being bigger.

If Jennings is around at 9, we take him without blinking. He *should* be top 5 IMO. I see this draft being 5 strong in terms of potential stars with Griffin, Rubio, Thabeet, Harden, and Jennings. After that there's a drop-off and if teams get anyone fitting in the top 7 of their rotation they'll be happy
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,472

Post#50 » by C_Money » Sat May 16, 2009 10:31 pm

Thas cool. Somebody good is going to drop to us though. It happens every year. Hopefully we jump on the oppertunity.

LOL anybody know why he has "young money" tattooed on his back? Kinda lame.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#51 » by dacrusha » Sat May 16, 2009 10:49 pm

This year's Sebastian Telfair.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,545

Post#52 » by s e n s i » Sat May 16, 2009 10:53 pm

dacrusha wrote:This year's Sebastian Telfair.

Except Jennings was and is essentially better in every facet of the game when comparing their senior years.

But hey, that might just be my opinion.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Post#53 » by Avenger » Sat May 16, 2009 10:56 pm

Dr Mufasa wrote:

I'd say TJ with more true PG/passing skills. He's extremely explosive and athletic, he'll probably be one of the most athletic PGs in the league. He's not far behind Rose in that level, though Rose has a huge advantage on him in the mental and poise aspect of the game, as well as being bigger.

If Jennings is around at 9, we take him without blinking. He *should* be top 5 IMO. I see this draft being 5 strong in terms of potential stars with Griffin, Rubio, Thabeet, Harden, and Jennings. After that there's a drop-off and if teams get anyone fitting in the top 7 of their rotation they'll be happy

definitely not. I'm not a TJ fan at all but he gets a bad and undeserved rep with his passing skills, TJ is legit point guard and probably has top 5 at worst court vision and passing skills. From what we've seen of Jennings in Europe, his playmaking skills are almost non existent and he has horrendous shot selection. I'm not saying he can't improve but to say he has better point guard skills than TJ is ridiculous.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#54 » by J Dilla » Sun May 17, 2009 2:57 am

I'd compare him to Rafer Alston.
TiKusDom
Banned User

Post#55 » by TiKusDom » Sun May 17, 2009 3:37 am

Actually I wound compare him to a taller TJ ford... his quickness is off the charts and once he is in the NBA very few people could keep up with him, but its his basketball decision making that is holding him back. Very VERY talented kid, but hes got to make smarter moves on the court.
TiKusDom
Banned User

Post#56 » by TiKusDom » Sun May 17, 2009 3:39 am

Dr Mufasa wrote:

Id certainly say they he doesnt have more true pG / Passing skills, they are equal at best. In terms of quickenss they are the same, Jennings has more length and size. Very talented kid. Clear cut second best PG behind Ricky Rubio, but nowhere the equal, everyone else is far behind in terms of pure PG skills.
ilikecb4
Assistant Coach
And1: 4

Post#57 » by ilikecb4 » Sun May 17, 2009 4:50 am

Whoever said TJ ford is an idiot

This kid is so much more talented than ford, it's like comparing Lebron to Magette

Brandon Jennings has the flare of a young Allen Iverson

He plays a lot like Kenny Anderson (and has said it himself that he models his game after him)

He also said he watched 30 minutes of iverson tapes every day

So what i expect

is a Derrick Roseque player

Worst Case Scenario: More athletic/Rich Mans Sebastian Telfair

Best Case Scenario: Rich Mans Kenny Anderon
Mr.Raptorsingh
RealGM
And1: 27,759

Post#58 » by Mr.Raptorsingh » Sun May 17, 2009 6:10 pm

The only thing with Jennings is, that he's going to have to be put in the right situation for him to flourish. The team that drafts him is going to have to give him the keys and hope that he doesn't crash along the way.

The Warriors seem like the obvious fit, simply because they need that type of guy, where he can come and actually do the things Don Nelson is going to want from--which is run a full throttle offence a la Baron Davis.

And I can't help but think that the Raptors would also be a good fit for him, if the Raptors are indeed looking to play uptempo. But hey, the Raps may be looking to play the old Kings/Mavs style of play in which case Jennings wouldn't be as good a fit.
lemondrop
Banned User
And1: 0

Jennings Calls Out Evans and Holiday 

Post#59 » by lemondrop » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:57 pm

Q: You are a point guard. A lot of the guards coming in, they are combo guards. Does being a pure point man help your status?
A: Definitely. My whole life has been playing point guard. I can show teams what kind of passer I am. I am not a combo guard. I am a pass-first guy. I like to play that way.

Q: Guys you came up with, Jrue Holiday and Tyreke Evans, they've mostly been shooting guards, but it seems like teams are planning on drafting them and turning them into point guards. Do you think that can be done? Can those guys be converted?
A: No, I don't think so. To be a point guard, it has to be in you. I don't think you can suddenly be a point guard after one year. You are the leader, you are the quarterback, and that takes a lot of understanding. ... People might say, 'He can be a point guard in the league.' But that is a hard transition. You have to know how to do it. You have to be the one to take the heat when things don't go right.

Source: http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/vi ... p?t=558967
Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Re: Jennings Calls Out Evans and Holiday 

Post#60 » by Avenger » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:59 pm

big words coming from Jennings. I do like him though, if he can get his head straight he can be TJ ford 2.0

Return to Toronto Raptors