ImageImageImageImageImage

Calderon will NOT play for Spain this summer

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Re: Calderon will NOT play for Spain this summer 

Post#41 » by Reignman » Mon May 25, 2009 5:11 pm

jonny three time wrote:I'd normally say "I told you so" at this time, but I actually thought he'd cop out later in the summer and not even mention that he's doing it specifically for the Raptors. He took a gutsier approach than I thought he would, good for him.

After all we hear about guy's wanting to leave here or not caring about being here, it's good to see at least one guy who cares about our team and how good he can be for it.

Every Raptor fan should think a little more highly of Jose than they did before this, even Reignman is on his nuts now :P

:lol: I don't know if I'd go that far but I will say it must have been a tough decision on his end to not play for his NT, I didn't think he had it in him.

Personally, I want a 100% Jose walking into next season. I'm curious to see if my assessment of him is the correct one or if the majority of this board has him pegged correctly. I think it would also give the organization a better understanding of his flaws / limitations to see if he's the right PG to move forward with or if we should start looking in a different direction.
jonny three time
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,246

Post#42 » by jonny three time » Mon May 25, 2009 5:19 pm

Reignman wrote: I'm curious to see if my assessment of him is the correct one or if the majority of this board has him pegged correctly. I think it would also give the organization a better understanding of his flaws / limitations to see if he's the right PG to move forward with or if we should start looking in a different direction.

Me too. Next season is the true test of what kind of starting PG he is. Maybe he breaks down again, maybe he thrives, maybe he adds to his game and becomes more than what we thought he could be. It will be interesting to see for all of us, supporters or detractors.
Reignman
Banned User
And1: 391

Post#43 » by Reignman » Mon May 25, 2009 5:26 pm

jonny three time wrote:
Reignman wrote: I'm curious to see if my assessment of him is the correct one or if the majority of this board has him pegged correctly. I think it would also give the organization a better understanding of his flaws / limitations to see if he's the right PG to move forward with or if we should start looking in a different direction.

Me too. Next season is the true test of what kind of starting PG he is. Maybe he breaks down again, maybe he thrives, maybe he adds to his game and becomes more than what we thought he could be. It will be interesting to see for all of us, supporters or detractors.

I'll tell you one thing, if Jose comes out and drops 16-18 ppg / 8 ast / 3 rbs / 1 stl, I will jump on the bandwagon. And notice how I didn't mention FG% / Ast-TO ratio? Those stats be damned. I want our best perimeter option to have the green light and I also want my point guard to generate easy (inside) looks for his teammates. If this guy would just bring some aggression to his game it would do wonders for the team as a whole. Even then, I doubt his FG% dips below 47% and I'm sure his turnovers would still be better than most.

It's time for this guy to do some damage, I'm tired of being down on him all the time.
Hypz
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#44 » by Hypz » Mon May 25, 2009 6:12 pm

Class act! Ole Ole Ole Calderon.
[SJJ]
General Manager
And1: 3,222

Post#45 » by [SJJ] » Mon May 25, 2009 8:41 pm

Good decision!!! Gotta rest that hammy!
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#46 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon May 25, 2009 8:45 pm

Weak.

TJ would have made the decision to not play for the Spanish National Team Faster, with more leadership while going to the basket.
KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#47 » by KWSN-Men » Mon May 25, 2009 10:49 pm

Ricky Rubio
Carlos Cabezas
Sergio Rodriguez
Raul Lopez
Sergio LLull

Calderon was probably worried about even making the team.
KWSN-Men
Banned User
And1: 13

Post#48 » by KWSN-Men » Mon May 25, 2009 10:52 pm

dagger wrote:
J-Roc wrote:OMG, terrible news. Jose wanted to play as recently as...what, two weeks ago?. For him to decide now not to play, means his injury issues are more serious than previously thought. Either his hamstring is still a problem, or his finger surgery isn't healing.

I think you could say that he was stage managing his departure. Reassure the fans just how much he wants to play, then pull the plug gracefully so that it doesn't look like the team is bullying him into not playing.

As for the comparison with Garbo, if this were the World Championships or Olympics, things might be different, but even though the Spanish take the European championships very seriously, it isn't as big a deal as the WC, where Spain are defending champions.

Really? The European Championships are just as difficult, in fact probably more difficult than the World Championships. Which is even highlighted by the fact that this generation of Spanish players can't even win the European Championship, even when it was held in Spain.
KG1585
Head Coach
And1: 248

Post#49 » by KG1585 » Tue May 26, 2009 12:04 am

KWSN-Men wrote:Ricky Rubio
Carlos Cabezas
Sergio Rodriguez
Raul Lopez
Sergio LLull

Calderon was probably worried about even making the team.

These guys don't even come close to Jose.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,037

Post#50 » by ItsDanger » Tue May 26, 2009 6:58 am

Jose has a brain. I dont believe it. Good news.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
reycat
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#51 » by reycat » Tue May 26, 2009 9:27 am

KWSN-Men wrote:Really? The European Championships are just as difficult, in fact probably more difficult than the World Championships. Which is even highlighted by the fact that this generation of Spanish players can't even win the European Championship, even when it was held in Spain.

I'd say that the EuroChampionship is harder, because there aren't easy teams to play against. Maybe 6 out of the 8 top basketball teams in the world are European.

But harder as in "you have to play hard from the beginning", not as in "it's more difficult to win the gold medal", because USA and Argentina aren't in Europe, and that's a big difference.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#52 » by J-Roc » Tue May 26, 2009 11:39 am

RiceItUp wrote:Just imagine what would've happened on RealGM forum if he decided to go...

I would have been more happy than disappointed. If he was playing, we could deduce he was totally healthy again. And I was also assuming his minutes would be limited because Rubio would play more.

If he's resting because 1. he's too hurt or 2. the Raps told him to (which means they doubt his health), that doesn't make me feel too confident.

Return to Toronto Raptors