ImageImageImageImageImage

"What if" Jordan Hill was available at 9....

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

If Jordan Hill was available at 9, should the Raptors draft him?

Yup.....need a backup plan.
10%
For sure.......always draft the BPA.
68%
Hell no......Bosh would leave fo sho!
1%
Hill is overrated...so....no.
21%

Total votes: 109

mapko81
Sixth Man
And1: 18

Re: "What if" Jordan Hill was available at 9.... 

Post#41 » by mapko81 » Sat Jun 6, 2009 7:58 am

First of all, if Hill actually drops to 9th it is because someone already took Tyreke Evans (who is the only wing aside from Harden that can contribute to this team next year). Derozan is a project who will play 10-15 minutes.

Secondly, Delfino, Parker and Marion are returning regardless of who we draft. I'd feel quite comfortable supplementing them with a free agent (perhaps Linas Kleiza).

The way I see it, we have two pressing needs: a back-up PF/C and a capable SG/SF. Those two needs are getting filled through the draft and the MLE. I am more comfortable getting Hill and Kleiza than DeRozan and Pachulia. You are not getting a big man with the MLE who can start (should Bosh go down with a knee sprain, or should he leave next year). You can get a wingman through the MLE capable of starting though. It's all about getting the strongest mix of players for next year.
sl64
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#42 » by sl64 » Sat Jun 6, 2009 9:50 am

Since Delfino/Marion/AP are coming back no matter who we draft, we basically HAVE TO take a wing in the draft. Unless we're tanking (not a bad idea) we can't go into next year with just those guys at the wing spots... None of those guys should be more than a situational bench player on a good team (except maybe Marion, but he's getting there... if he's a starter for a few more years it's because of his reputation/name recognition, not his play). And anyway, I'm pretty sure that watching a Delfino/AP/Marion/Kleiza/Kapono wing rotation would make my eyes bleed, Jordan Hill or no. Hence my suggestion we trade Hill in this scenario... the need for a legit wing greatly outweighs the need for frontcourt depth. Of course, if Bosh is traded then all bets are off.
Here's the thing about Chris Bosh ... If Joey Graham had longer arms, he'd be just as effective at PF." --SuigintouEV
hoopsaddict
Senior
And1: 60

Post#43 » by hoopsaddict » Sat Jun 6, 2009 12:55 pm

Did we not learn anything from the Hoffa debacle? You draft the BPA and then make deals from your depth if need be. Ideally we should draft a wing, but if a solid PG (Flynn? Evans?) are available or even a post player like Hill, you need to snag 'em.
Check out http://HoopsAddict.com/ for your basketball fix.
j3yuen
Rookie

Post#44 » by j3yuen » Sat Jun 6, 2009 2:19 pm

take jordan hill
if bosh continues to hint about how he wants max then trade him for pieces
possibly an unprotected lottery pick for the john wall sweepstake.... and lottery players
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#45 » by Dr Positivity » Sat Jun 6, 2009 6:33 pm

sl64 wrote:Since Delfino/Marion/AP are coming back no matter who we draft, we basically HAVE TO take a wing in the draft. Unless we're tanking (not a bad idea) we can't go into next year with just those guys at the wing spots... None of those guys should be more than a situational bench player on a good team (except maybe Marion, but he's getting there... if he's a starter for a few more years it's because of his reputation/name recognition, not his play). And anyway, I'm pretty sure that watching a Delfino/AP/Marion/Kleiza/Kapono wing rotation would make my eyes bleed, Jordan Hill or no. Hence my suggestion we trade Hill in this scenario... the need for a legit wing greatly outweighs the need for frontcourt depth. Of course, if Bosh is traded then all bets are off.

Derozan (our most likely pick) will be a worse player than Parker next year anyways. He's a rookie project for at least next year.

I'm ok with a Daniels/Delfino, Marion/Kapono stopgap on the wings for next year
Local_NG_Idiot
RealGM
And1: 3,563

Post#46 » by Local_NG_Idiot » Sat Jun 6, 2009 7:14 pm

I'd would have to wonder why GS and the Knicks passed on him. Not only is Hill the likely BPA at the 7 and 8 pick, both of those teams are already extremely guard heavy teams in need of some hard working, talented front court players.

So as soon as GS passed on him and picked their player, I'd be calling them to see what reasoning they had as well I'd be calling the Knicks to see what their thoughts on passing him up were as well.

The only reason I'd pass is if they had information (such as serious health concerns where he might never be able to play).

Now if they passed on him simply upon the belief that the players they picked (likely PGs, or wings) are more talented, then I pick Hill and see what GS or NY want in return for him since they just picked players who will likely displace players on their current roster. EI: Say GS picks Evans, would the be willing to give up Ellis for the rights to Hill + filler?
billy_hoyle
Sixth Man
And1: 1,131

Post#47 » by billy_hoyle » Sun Jun 7, 2009 1:31 am

^^^ I like what your thinking Idiot. The Ellis thing occured to me too. Unhappy camper, new management, duplication, more expensive, solid return(top 10 pick for a guy that's only gotten a sniff of the ASG), makes me think there's a possibility.

The thing is, I'm not sure Hill is the BPA. Although I do think that he'd be the Best Asset Available. Meaning cheap bigs are generally over-rated come draft time, so alot of these wings, the DD's and Jrue's and Tyrekes are equally talented/impactful players but not shown as valueble on the draft boards.
mapko81
Sixth Man

Post#48 » by mapko81 » Sun Jun 7, 2009 2:21 am

I don't think GS is taking Tyreke. They need a PG with true passing ability that also fits their system (like Jennings or Flynn). The Knicks have also made it seem like they are looking for a PG. Minnesota is committed to Kevin Love and Al Jefferson in the frontcourt. Basically, it all comes down to what Washington will do with the 5th pick. If they go with guard, Hill can easily tumble to 9th.
EwwItsRasho
Senior
And1: 3

Post#49 » by EwwItsRasho » Sun Jun 7, 2009 3:15 am

Dr Mufasa wrote:In 2004 the Magic were in danger of losing Tmac, and had the #1 pick with the decision between Okafor and Dwight. Tmac wanted Okafor as he was more NBA ready and could win now. The Magic decided not to bow to their star and went for the player they wanted. They lost Tmac and are now in the NBA finals.

This decision wouldn't be as big as Dwight vs Okafor, but you get the point. Take the best player, forget about pleasing Bosh

The difference is that our best player plays the same position as our star. The situation for Orlando would have been different if the BPA was a sg/sf. I'm sure they would have drafted the next best non 2/3 in that case.
Volcano wrote:Kobe is just a glorified Jamal Crawford. Without Shaq, he wouldn't even be in the NBA. Shaq guided him like a father and breast fed him like a mother.
TiKusDom
Banned User
And1: 117

Post#50 » by TiKusDom » Sun Jun 7, 2009 3:39 am

mapko81 wrote:I don't think GS is taking Tyreke. They need a PG with true passing ability that also fits their system (like Jennings or Flynn). The Knicks have also made it seem like they are looking for a PG. Minnesota is committed to Kevin Love and Al Jefferson in the frontcourt. Basically, it all comes down to what Washington will do with the 5th pick. If they go with guard, Hill can easily tumble to 9th.

Whoa Whoa Whoa, are you actually talking about GSW management doing something that makes sense?! Have you not seen the circus that is the GS Warriors? They are going to draft a wing player to add to their collection of 100000 gazillion wing players , while trying to shift another wing player Monta Ellis into the PG position. Taking a PG makes too much sense, that's what a rational team in their position would do. You are forgetting you are dealing with the Golden State Warriors here.
andyo
Assistant Coach
And1: 447

Post#51 » by andyo » Sun Jun 7, 2009 3:40 am

I think he's a bit overrated to be honest, If he's the best BPA available though, it's worth a shot.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,560

Post#52 » by DG88 » Sun Jun 7, 2009 3:48 am

I picked yup nee a backup plan just because it sounded funny.
deck
Sixth Man
And1: 1,094

Post#53 » by deck » Sun Jun 7, 2009 6:35 am

TiKusDom wrote:
The Notic wrote:over-rated. seriously, what's so special about this guy? clark>hill.

Though I agree with you he may be over rated, a top 5 pick dropping down to 9 should be nabbed irregardless. After that we can retain his services, trade him for Clark + assets or another player we covet, a highly ranked prospect like himself would make a very nice trading piece for the Raptors.

surely you mean regardless.
sl64
Bench Warmer

Post#54 » by sl64 » Sun Jun 7, 2009 7:39 am

Dr Mufasa wrote:Derozan (our most likely pick) will be a worse player than Parker next year anyways. He's a rookie project for at least next year.

The thing is... there's no real stopgap in this situation. It's not like we have a project already who needs another year or two to be ready to contribute. It would just be a stopgap until we have to almost completely rebuild the wing rotation next summer or the summer after. We might as well get started now and not waste the extra year.

As for Parker/DeRozan... I'm not sure. Not that I think DeRozan will do well next year... but Parker might very well be a single-digit PER player if his descent continues (that's Kapono territory), so it wouldn't even take a good rookie year from DeRozan to match that. He could have a dissapointing year... for a project... and still be as good as our current wings. That's how bad I think our current wing rotation is... basically he would have to be among the very worst players in the league in order to be a step down from the wings we have now. And Delfino is even worse than the guys currently here... I absolutely can't believe how people on this board seem to not be aware that Delfino sucks. Generally, chuckers who can't shoot tend to be fairly limited.
Here's the thing about Chris Bosh ... If Joey Graham had longer arms, he'd be just as effective at PF." --SuigintouEV
mihaic
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,076

Post#55 » by mihaic » Sun Jun 7, 2009 11:44 am

So you keep him, to be a backup at PF. You have Bosh starting, and then you have also Bargnani, Pops, Hump, a resigned Marion, and Joey and then Him, just in case.

Heck we could field a team plus a couple of reserves all PF plqyers.
The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,150

Post#56 » by The Duke » Sun Jun 7, 2009 2:19 pm

If he is best player available by a large margin.... you take him.

If he is best player available by a small margin on a wing u like also .... you go either way.
mapko81
Sixth Man

Post#57 » by mapko81 » Sun Jun 7, 2009 8:43 pm

AB_7 wrote:So you keep him, to be a backup at PF. You have Bosh starting, and then you have also Bargnani, Pops, Hump, a resigned Marion, and Joey and then Him, just in case.

No, Hill would back up both PF and C. Bargnani is our C. Marion and Joey are SF's. Pops and Hump are scrubs.
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#58 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Jun 7, 2009 8:44 pm

sl64 wrote:
Dr Mufasa wrote:Derozan (our most likely pick) will be a worse player than Parker next year anyways. He's a rookie project for at least next year.

The thing is... there's no real stopgap in this situation. It's not like we have a project already who needs another year or two to be ready to contribute. It would just be a stopgap until we have to almost completely rebuild the wing rotation next summer or the summer after. We might as well get started now and not waste the extra year.

As for Parker/DeRozan... I'm not sure. Not that I think DeRozan will do well next year... but Parker might very well be a single-digit PER player if his descent continues (that's Kapono territory), so it wouldn't even take a good rookie year from DeRozan to match that. He could have a dissapointing year... for a project... and still be as good as our current wings. That's how bad I think our current wing rotation is... basically he would have to be among the very worst players in the league in order to be a step down from the wings we have now. And Delfino is even worse than the guys currently here... I absolutely can't believe how people on this board seem to not be aware that Delfino sucks. Generally, chuckers who can't shoot tend to be fairly limited.

The thing with Derozan is that he'll at least need a 3 point shot before being able to stand sustainable, 25mpg type minutes at SG. If you can't shoot the 3 and have no handles you can't be a starting SG. I agree about Delfino sucking, people have forgotten he was like a 9th man on a good Detroit team, but yeah, that's why I'd rather get Daniels as the best alternative for now with Delfino as his backup and play Derozan at SF until he can shoot long range and improves his ballhandling ability
mihaic
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by mihaic » Sun Jun 7, 2009 9:46 pm

mapko81 wrote:
AB_7 wrote:So you keep him, to be a backup at PF. You have Bosh starting, and then you have also Bargnani, Pops, Hump, a resigned Marion, and Joey and then Him, just in case.

No, Hill would back up both PF and C. Bargnani is our C. Marion and Joey are SF's. Pops and Hump are scrubs.

My point in case you haven't got it is we don't need PF at all cause there are a lot of backups at that position.

Since, arguably, the margin of talent between players seems to be low you chose a player that you will be able give minutes to develop

If we are serious about Bosh we do not need yet another PF behind him. If not we should let Andrea play his position.
mihaic
Lead Assistant

Post#60 » by mihaic » Sun Jun 7, 2009 9:47 pm

^^^ And to make an analogy this is like GSW drafting another guard/wing...

Return to Toronto Raptors