ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Jennings on Rubio: "I think the dude is all hype"

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

kingr
Head Coach
And1: 2,591

Re: OT: Jennings on Rubio: "I think the dude is all hype" 

Post#101 » by kingr » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:13 am

I too believe Rubio is all hype, but I could change my position. I'll jump on the Rubio train when I see him doing damage in the nba.
kassian
General Manager
And1: 1,436

Post#102 » by kassian » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:17 am

Get 'er done BC
C_Money
RealGM
And1: 25,472

Post#103 » by C_Money » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:17 am

I've never seen him play but the way people describe him on here I'm guessing he's the next Magic Johnson. There's definetly some over-hyping.
imgrindin247
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#104 » by imgrindin247 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:19 am

I'm sure he still thinks Rubio is a good player much like he did earlier in the year when he played him and posed on the Slam cover with him. He's just upset that Rubio has decided not to workout with anyone and doesn't feel it's fair that they're just going to hand him the #2 spot and that he doesn't get a chance to go out there and compete for it.
tylrrr
Assistant Coach
And1: 29

Post#105 » by tylrrr » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:21 am

Translation: "I failed to get into a good school and so I went overseas, where I struggled to even get off the bench, even in garbage time and my stock dropped significantly. Ricky Rubio has plenty of hype where mine is dwindling, and as a result, have some PR-peppered controversy. Remember my name yet?"
GIZMO
Analyst
And1: 1,757

Post#106 » by GIZMO » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:35 am

Death Knight wrote:
GIZMO wrote:How is Rubio all hype? Did everyone forget the olympics, where he played against the best the US (NBA) had to offer and he held his own pretty well.

What has Jennings proven other than that he is all "Hype".

Every time people bring up the Olympics in an NBA discussion, I just shake my head. Whether it's with Rubio or Bosh or any other player. Please do realize that it was only 1-2 games. Plus, the scouting report on players is probably limited. You can't use such a tiny sample to gauge how a player might do in a league where you play 82 games a season for as many years as you can last. The potential for Rubio to bust or not live up to a top 5 pick is very high.

But going back to the Olympics, it's not like he did great or anything. He did OKAY for a guy of his age, but I guess people like to overblow his performance.

BTW, Paul and Williams had to hold their games back a little bit because USA was heavy on the wings with Kobe, LeBron, Wade, Melo, etc...The PGs for team USA, and this includes Kidd, didn't get to burst out the same way that they normally would in an NBA setting.

So what you are saying is scouts can't analyse his game based on what he did against olympic caliber teams, or that there are no European scouts?

Also, please provide a link which states these pg's held back. I am no Ricky fan, but to say he is all hype is crap.
E-TRAK
Sixth Man
And1: 552

Post#107 » by E-TRAK » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:47 am

in a way, i dont think jennings will choke that bad in his rookie season, he did gain experience and confidence playing in the Euroleague.
highscore
Sixth Man
And1: 524

Post#108 » by highscore » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:58 am

His stats you know 26 minutes, having 16 points, seven assists, nine steals in 26 minutes, and you have all that? You know, I really don't know...

brandon jennings is right for once, he really has no idea.
was this overlooked? how did he come up with those stats?

don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with an embedded sense of confidence, especially when you are practically asked to sell yourself. but as someone previously mentioned, he is under record expressing some contrary opinions regarding rubio, and seemed to get carried away with the words of another reporter, who (let's not forget this detail) was the first to introduce the possibility of ricky being all hype. when asked if you are a better player, you are put in a peculiar position where you are required to comply with the implicit suggestions of the question, and must answer yes. you must do everything at the given moment to increase your stock, but please brandan-- find a way to do so without plummeting the stock of another player.
C_Money
RealGM

Post#109 » by C_Money » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:15 am

Yeah thats kinda like the Marbury situation. You get asked who you think the best point guard in the league is, your gonna look bad no matter what your answer is. He said himself and the media went crazy.
Trax416
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#110 » by Trax416 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:39 am

I also want to point out, when Rubio faced him he didn't have 0 points and 0 assists, and he was playing with a broken wrist.

For much of this season he had a **** up wrist yet still played. Think about it.
highscore
Sixth Man
And1: 524

Post#111 » by highscore » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:27 am

"We had about even minutes, I had 12 points, about six assists, that was the most I ever played was 30 minutes. I was a little winded but I still think I got the best of him."

trax is right. also, rubio shouldn't have even played that game, and the point statistic is deceiving considering he didn't attempt a single shot. brandon averages 1.6 apg, and only once during the season even hit that six assist mark-- unless he is converting them into nba currency.

dkv joventut (97) vs. lottomatica roma (93)
(december 11th, 2008)

brandon jennings: 22 mins, 5/8, 12 pts, 2 asts.
ricky rubio: 8 mins, 0/0, 0 pts, 3 asts, 1 stl, 3 tos.
tylrrr
Assistant Coach
And1: 29

Post#112 » by tylrrr » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:29 am

He willed his team to victory more than once with his bad wrist. And even though Rubio only played 9 minutes in that game, recaps have suggested he blew by Jennings a couple of times and made easy passes. He was scoreless, though, but he had 3 assists and a steal. And yeah, a broken wrist, too. How Jennings got the best of him I'll never know, either, since he was playing the 2.
C_Money
RealGM

Post#113 » by C_Money » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:32 am

Are we still not allowed twitter posts? I don't see what the problem is since its THEM saying it just over the internet.

BJennings3: With my comment bout Rubio, im just tryin hype the draft up a lil, make the summer league something everybody wanna see.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#114 » by 5DOM » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:34 am

I think you can. We just can't start a new thread about them
cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 422

Post#115 » by cdel00 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:40 am

Jennings went all in pretty early with this one. Spotlight's on junior you better bring it.

9 is a very good number for Jennings let him play behind Jose for a year. I bet that would light his fire :)
cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 422

Post#116 » by cdel00 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:53 am

A Jennings / Curry back court would be very interesting.

Jennings passes and Curry's talent would be so fun to watch.

Another fun back court is Jennings/Thornton.

If BC can do either it would add a bit of shine to that pidgeon pooped on collar around the neck of the statue built in his honour - in his hype. Get a couple complimentary studs in this draft and show us your brilliant collars :)
SpaceJam
Veteran
And1: 93

Post#117 » by SpaceJam » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:02 am

I like how Jennings is out spoken...however I wonder if this will effect teams decisions of picking him...
Really, IMHO, Flynn and Jennings are the top PGs for me, followed by Jrue, followed by Ricky, then Steph.
_________
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#118 » by J Dilla » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:02 am

Well, put it like this: If he was in a workout with me [and fellow point-guard prospects] Jonny Flynn, Jrue Holiday, Tywon Lawson, Stephen Curry, he wouldn't probably be at the top," Jennings said Friday.

That I agree with.
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#119 » by sh00n » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:13 am

:rofl:

What a fool. Can't wait to see Kenny Anderson 2.0 fall like a rock in the draft.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
KING01
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#120 » by KING01 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:23 am

chocolateSensi

Sensi with the best post in this thread. I have been bigging up Jennings since I started looking at the Draft, I still hope the raps take him if he is still available. Jennings will prove the doubters wrong.

Peace

Return to Toronto Raptors