ImageImageImageImageImage

Your Past Draft Preferences: Be The GM

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

The Answer!
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,006

Re: Your Past Draft Preferences: Be The GM 

Post#41 » by The Answer! » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:20 pm

2003 - T.J. Ford
2004 - Ben Gordon
2005 - Gerald Green and Danny Granger
2006 - LaMarcus Aldridge
2009 - DeMar DeRozan or Jonny Flynn
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,523

Post#42 » by Dr Positivity » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:42 pm

I don't remember this level of support for Batum last year at all. IIRC Robin Lopez was the overwhelming favorite, and it was widely assumed and accepted we'd take him if he was there, as interior defense and a guy who plays with heart was exactly what we needed at the time. Our pick last year had about 1/20 the discussion of this year's though... TJ was all the rage then
Mascot
Lead Assistant
And1: 972

Post#43 » by Mascot » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:59 pm

2009 - Flynn or Curry or move up for Harden or Thabeet, Buy a first for Tyler Hansbrough, buy two seconds for Dionte Christmas and Jerel Mcneal.

2008 - Gallinari or Batum

2007 - I really wanted in this draft.
Buy 3 late firsts, take Tiago Splitter, Rudy Fernández and Petteri Koponen
Buy two 2nds and take Marc Gasol and Glen Davis

2006 - after watching the tourney Brandon Roy, before was Bargnani
2005 - Andrew Bynum/Jarrett Jack we needed a C and a backup PG so bad then, kinda like now

2004 - Ben Gordon

2003 - Carmelo Anthony

2002 - Kareem Rush (I was so happy when we really did take him)

2001 - cant go back that far :P but i think it was Jason Collins

wow Toronto would be interesting lol
LyNx
Veteran
And1: 122

Post#44 » by LyNx » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:06 pm

09 - I really like Evans and Harden, but if we don't move, then DeRozan.
08 - Knew we weren't picking anyone
07 - "
06 - Liked Rudy Gay, but also was following Rondo closely. Thought he'd be a good pickup.
05 - Trade up Chris Paul by any means necessary. You just knew this guy was a tank.
04 - Loved Gordon at UConn, knew we had no shot. When Iggy fell, well yeah.
03 - Was a monster Carmelo at Cuse fan. Was so dejected after we fell out of Top 3. Didn't know too much about NCAA, liked TJ for obvious reasons for the casual fan.
02 - Wow, looking back at 02, THAT was a crapshoot. Had no idea at 20, saw Qyntel Woods slipping in draft ranks, thought we might as well take a waiver on the guy.
Mirage
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#45 » by Mirage » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:40 pm

This thread is fun :)

2009 - After being a Raptors fan since 1995, I am now confident that whoever we draft will be a bust. :P If I was making the pick, I'd hope that Harden slides like Pierce or Iguodala. Out of the players expected to definately be around at 9, I like Henderson the most.

2008 - Hibbert (realllly liked Speights though)
2007 - no pick (would have tried to trade into the draft for T.Young)
2006 - Lamarcus Aldridge
2005 - Danny Granger, Gerald Green
2004 - Andris Biedrins
2003 - TJ Ford
2002 - Kareem Rush (Was mad when we traded him for Jefferies, but not quite furious)
2001 - Gilbert Arenas (Yep, even at 17. Probably my best pick)
2000 - Morris Peterson
1999 - Andre Miller
1998 - Antawn Jamison (Was FURIOUS when we traded him for Carter, lol)
1997 - Tracy McGrady (My happiest draft day moment ever was when we got him)
1996 - Ray Allen
1995 - had no opinion, confident that whoever we took would be good :P

On the whole, I think I've done better with the picks than the Raptors have, but hey, most fans probably have done better than the Raptors :P I did pass on both Bosh and Carter, though, so I shouldn't complain about our drafting history too much.
Vincecarder
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Post#46 » by Vincecarder » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:26 pm

2003 - Carmello Anthony. Ticked off we fell in the draft and wanted Anthony bad
2004 - Deng or Iggy. I wanted Deng, when I saw his family doing the african war chants after getting drafted I was upset they were not doing that for Toronto and put it into our Intro before games (lol)
2005 - Gerald Green with the first, Granger with the second. See a lot of people do the easy one (oh I would have picked Granger) but really even I got scared with all the crap about his knee. If he had a perfect report from the docs I would have taken him with the 7th but at 16 it was a no brainer and we drafted a player with NO brains.
2006 - Toss up between Aldridge and Thomas. I wanted no part of Bargnani (he has grown on me now). I probably would have taken Aldridge to have Bosh happy with the Texas Towers in the front.
2007 - Wanted Belinelli...hey we have a hundred italians in the organization, what's one more going to do. Thought we could have bought a pick.
2008 - Didn't really care since we knew it was going. Probably would have kept Hibbert.
2009 - Outside of Griffin I probably would say Harden is the surest thing in the draft, might even be better than Griffin in the future. I wish we can somehow make a trade for him. BPA for me at 9 will be DeRozan. If Curry falls to us I would take him as well.
Spartan13
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#47 » by Spartan13 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:50 pm

04: Wanted Harris, Livingston or Gordon. When we are up i wanted Iggy, didnt even know who Hoffa was at the time, i didnt bother looking that far down on the draft boards :lol: .

05: Wanted Granger or Green, was so happy when Green "fell" to us. We picked Charlie V and Stephen A Smith trashed the pick so then i thought it could actually be a good one :lol: . Was pissed when we passed on Granger twice, but then saw Graham's highlight package and it was pretty sick, he was a beast so i was like meh. Saw Charlie V play before the season at Nash's all star charity game though, and knew he would do well, he could run the floor and shoot really well for a big man, was a very fluid player. I laughed so hard when Atlanta picked another SF over Paul :lol: . I have no clue what GM's think sometimes, did anyone not think Paul would be awesome out of Wake Forest?

06: Was pretty obvious we were picking Bargnani, and i dared not question BC so i was cool with it. I originally thought the Gay Memphis trade was Highway robery, but in hindsight it was actually a pretty good move for Houston so kudous to them.

07: No pick, didnt care. Cried as a part time suns fan though. Sold Rudy Fernandez for Cash when they could have just stashed him away in Europe and not sign him right away. Just a cold **** move to swallow as a fan.

08: Wanted to acquire Bill Walker in the second round somehow.

09: ATM realistic picks i wouldnt mind are T-Will at #9, and a bought pick for Teague.
mapko81
Sixth Man
And1: 18

Post#48 » by mapko81 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:46 am

Dr Mufasa wrote:I don't remember this level of support for Batum last year at all. IIRC Robin Lopez was the overwhelming favorite, and it was widely assumed and accepted we'd take him if he was there, as interior defense and a guy who plays with heart was exactly what we needed at the time. Our pick last year had about 1/20 the discussion of this year's though... TJ was all the rage then

You sure? Robin Lopez? I actually remember there being a lot of love DeAndre Jordan and Javale McGee (or maybe that was just me). Robin Lopez seemed like such a bust (no offensive skill, and piggy-backing on his brother's back at Stanford).
Champipple
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#49 » by Champipple » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:42 pm

I'll play.

2001 = Our pick was too low for me to really care, but I thought Kwame was a stupid pick at #1 (I forget who I liked, but I thought he's waaaay too raw to go #1).

2002 = Our pick was too low for me to really care, but I thought Stoudamire was a good pick for Phoenix. I also thought Ming was overrated and Jay Will should have gone first.

2003 = Wanted Bosh, drafted Bosh. I remember reading about him all year so I was really happy when Detroit grabbed Darko. If somehow we couldn't get Bosh, Carmelo or Lebron, I liked TJ Ford and Wade (in that order!)

2004 = Really wanted Jameer Nelson after reading the SI feature on him. I would have been happy drafting him at 9th. I would have been very happy with Gordon or Deng. When Iggy fell, he seemed the obvious choice to me (I didn't think the Raptors wanted Nelson) and I literally screamed at my TV when they drafted Arujio. I spent the next hour just hoping to hear the words "I'd like to announce a trade... Toronto has traded their rights to Arujio... "

2005 = Wanted Granger with the 7th and Green with the 18th (if he was still available). Also like Sean May and Joey Graham (was happy with Graham at the 18th pick). I figured Chris Paul would be the best player in the draft and was suprised when his stock fell to 4th.

2006 = Was fine with Bargnani, but when BC said that he expected Roy to be a better player right away I wondered to myself "why not draft him then since we already have Bosh?" He probably should have. I felt better afterwards when I learned that Bargnani was a true 7 footer and they wanted to make him a centre, but still, why keep drafting your strength position?

2007 = No pick limited my interest, but if we could have somehow gotten a mid pick, I liked Noah.

2008 = Limited interest again, but I liked Beasley over Rose and thought Love was overrated. My mock draft was WAAAAY off last year. Usually I'm pretty close.

2009 = For the Raptors at 9 I like Jeff Teague, DeRozon, Evans or Jennings. I'd be very happy for a trade up for Harden. (I'm reversing my earlier assumption that he was overrated). Griffin seems the obivous choice for best player in this draft.

Return to Toronto Raptors