ImageImageImageImageImage

Time to play Twitter detective -- where is TWill going?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

imgrindin247
Rookie
And1: 0

Re: Time to play Twitter detective -- where is TWill going? 

Post#81 » by imgrindin247 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:12 pm

Maritimer wrote:Bogut WAS NOT the clear number one. MANY many many people thought Chris Paul should have been the #1 overall pick.

I don't ever recall that happening prior to the draft. I didn't see a single mock draft that had anyone other than Bogut #1. The debate was more over whether Atlanta should take Marvin Williams or Chris Paul when they badly needed a point guard. They decided to go with Williams who they thought had more potential than Paul. Bogut put up 20 and 12 his sophomore year and was clearly the best player in college basketball. Paul coming into the league still had some questions about his game such as his shooting and size.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,219

Post#82 » by amcoolio » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:16 pm

imgrindin247 wrote:
Local_NG_Idiot wrote:
imgrindin247 wrote:What team in the past 5 years has been worst than Charlotte at drafting? You guys have had 5 Lotto picks, 3 of them in the Top 5 and none have panned out to be stars.

you're saying charlotte is a poor evaluator of talent based on who've they drafted.

i'm saying Charlotte has done an OK job at evaluating talent and picking the BPA to them once they were on the clock. It isn't Charlotte's fault (for example) that Felton was the best prospect on the board when they were picking. (Webster, CV3, Diogu, Frye, and Bynum) have done nothing to prove that Felton still wasn't the best pick at 5.

A team that has been poor evaluators? The Bucks (Alexander, Yi, Bogut) since '05 lottery is pretty poor considering who was still on the board when they were picking.

Bogut was the clear #1 in that draft much like you say Okafor was #2. Yi and Alexander haven't panned out so far, but it's still early for them and a bit too early to call them definite busts. They did however manage to pick up Sessions and Mbah A Moute in the 2nd round, which so far makes up a bit for those blunders.

Even still, Yi and Alexander are not as bad as Morrison and May as picks. I expect Yi and Alexander to still be in the league when their rookie contracts are done. Something I can't say for Morrison or May. Also you have to consider that Alexander and Yi were both high risk high reward picks and were both raw coming into the League. You can't say the same for Morrison and May who were polished upperclassmen.

I haven't even gotten into the Jared Dudley and Ajinca picks who were both 1st Rounders and done nothing in the League yet.

Ajinca is a project....we selected him knowing he was going to have to learn for a few years. Dudley was good value where we selected him....Phoenix is a terrible system for him. May - better than the busts we were about to pick (Wright, Gerald Green, Graham). May has a lot of talent but is just lazy and fat...no one could predict his laziness after a great college career....he could average 15 ppg off the bench and did when he was healthy....check the games May played good minutes in and look at his production.

Morrison - projected top 5, he was going regardless if we picked him or not. We needed offense. Roy said he'd boycott Charlotte if we selected him (similar to what Rubio is doing to Memphis). Gay's game was too similar to Gerald Wallace. So he's a bust, there are 3-4 busts in every top 10 draft class. Morrison's problems happen to be mental, he is too scared and timid for the NBA.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Maritimer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 78

Post#83 » by Maritimer » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:20 pm

imgrindin247 wrote:
Maritimer wrote:Bogut WAS NOT the clear number one. MANY many many people thought Chris Paul should have been the #1 overall pick.

I don't ever recall that happening prior to the draft. I didn't see a single mock draft that had anyone other than Bogut #1. The debate was more over whether Atlanta should take Marvin Williams or Chris Paul when they badly needed a point guard. They decided to go with Williams who they thought had more potential than Paul. Bogut put up 20 and 12 his sophomore year and was clearly the best player in college basketball. Paul coming into the league still had some questions about his game such as his shooting and size.

Oh, I remember every mock and everyone saying that Bogut WOULD go #1. All I'm saying is that many people thought that was a mistake from the beginning and Paul SHOULD have been #1.
On LeBron not committing fouls:
Marvin! wrote:He also doesn't poo... his body transforms food into flower seeds, which he then sends to poor inner city neighborhoods and distributes free of charge. Let us all give thanks and praise him!
Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Post#84 » by Avenger » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:21 pm

imgrindin247 wrote:

I kinda agree, the whole "Big over Small" was more relavent in 04 than it is now. Andrew looked to be way too good of a prospect to select any of the PG's before him. The comparisons to Duncan were kinda close back then but Bogut's jumper didn't hold up in the NBA and his post game hasn't come as far as people thought it would be
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,570

Post#85 » by Fairview4Life » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:34 pm

That's not true. A guy "many people" thought should go #1 does not drop to 4 and get passed over by 4 teams (including Portland). Especially with another team swooping in to pick a PG ahead of him. I also don't remember any of that. Paul had a bunch of questions unanswered coming into the league, about not only things like his height, but also his attitude. Some people might have thought he should have gone #1, but they were few and far between.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
imgrindin247
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#86 » by imgrindin247 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:42 pm

amcoolio wrote:
Ajinca is a project....we selected him knowing he was going to have to learn for a few years. Dudley was good value where we selected him....Phoenix is a terrible system for him. May - better than the busts we were about to pick (Wright, Gerald Green, Graham). May has a lot of talent but is just lazy and fat...no one could predict his laziness after a great college career....he could average 15 ppg off the bench and did when he was healthy....check the games May played good minutes in and look at his production.

Morrison - projected top 5, he was going regardless if we picked him or not. We needed offense. Roy said he'd boycott Charlotte if we selected him (similar to what Rubio is doing to Memphis). Gay's game was too similar to Gerald Wallace. So he's a bust, there are 3-4 busts in every top 10 draft class. Morrison's problems happen to be mental, he is too scared and timid for the NBA.

Well Yi and Alexander were also projects too. So far they have been disappointing, but they were not expected to step right in and be ready to contribute like May and Morrison were.

I don't see how you can argue that May is better than Green, Wright or Graham when all 3 are still in the League and May is on the way out. His weight was an issue his whole career, it shouldn't be a surprise that it is a concern in the pros. Just look at Tractor Traylor and Eddy Curry, it's not like it's never proven to be a problem before.

I also don't see how you can say Dudley was good value and that Graham was a bust when they have put up virtually identical stats over their career. Graham went 16th and Dudley 22nd, not a huge difference.

It's true there are busts in every draft, but when you pick #3 and up with someone like Morrison, that's a huge bust. It's about on the same level as Stromile Swift at #2, though at least Swift has stuck around, something I'm not sure Morrison will be able to do.
Maritimer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 78

Post#87 » by Maritimer » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:44 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:

That's not true. A guy "many people" thought should go #1 does not drop to 4 and get passed over by 4 teams (including Portland). Especially with another team swooping in to pick a PG ahead of him. I also don't remember any of that. Paul had a bunch of questions unanswered coming into the league, about not only things like his height, but also his attitude. Some people might have thought he should have gone #1, but they were few and far between.

My bad, it was Marvin Williams, not Paul.
On LeBron not committing fouls:
Marvin! wrote:He also doesn't poo... his body transforms food into flower seeds, which he then sends to poor inner city neighborhoods and distributes free of charge. Let us all give thanks and praise him!

Return to Toronto Raptors