ImageImageImageImageImage

Derozan vs. freshmen wings.

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,500

Re: Derozan vs. freshmen wings. 

Post#21 » by dagger » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:39 am

I'll said it before and I'll say it again: DeRozan, like Bargnani, had a partial season on which we base hope. AB's full year numbers are well... meh... but from January onward, we saw across the board improvement in both per game and percentage stats. With DeRozan, if you extrapolate his March-early April performance and use them as full-year stats, he grades much higher statistically. Since this correlated with the Trojans post-season run, it's probably more meaningful than someone having a hot December and not sustaining it.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
hkr
Bench Warmer
And1: 28

Post#22 » by hkr » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:46 am

dagger wrote:I'll said it before and I'll say it again: DeRozan, like Bargnani, had a partial season on which we base hope. AB's full year numbers are well... meh... but from January onward, we saw across the board improvement in both per game and percentage stats. With DeRozan, if you extrapolate his March-early April performance and use them as full-year stats, he grades much higher statistically. Since this correlated with the Trojans post-season run, it's probably more meaningful than someone having a hot December and not sustaining it.

Indeed Derozan's numbers were great for a freshman in March, (and without that month his full-year numbers would've been dismal in many areas) Such improvement proved relevant in Derrick Rose's case, and as I've said before these one-and-done freshmen probably get a bit too much workload for their own good in many cases, which might be hurtful, so that's one very feasible argument in favour of DD. I'm a bit skeptical myself, but let's hope that's the case.
killerbs
Analyst
And1: 46

Post#23 » by killerbs » Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:26 pm

Hendrix wrote:
Dr Mufasa wrote:[
Well in the case of Hollinger, his system is a lot more advanced than basic ppg and rpg and does stuff like use their steals, blocks, etc. to measure athleticism. I'm pretty sure that's the reason DD did poorly with it, he didn't use his athleticism in college so because they can't use subjectivity and see Demar is athletic and just didn't need it, they crunched him out as just an average athlete. An average athlete who can't shoot the 3, dribble, pass, etc. probably wouldn't be drafted, so it's understandable he ranks so low through those measurements

I think the reason he did poor has to do with what Hollinger said at the start. It doesn't measure 1 and done freshmen correctly. Just like it wouldn't work with a single player in the list from the OP correctly. But then he seemed to ignore that fact all together and continue to point out Derzan's stats when they arn't really different then the majority of the guys listed that were taken lotto, and panned into very good players.

hkr... I don't think you're digging for the right stats really. You could do that with anybody on the list above. Iggy's 38fg%. Of Roy's 50ft%, and .100 3pt%. Or Thorton's inability to get PT.

Derozan's Assist to turnover ratio isn't really much differnt then the average of all those players on the list. He was also really not really used in many passing situations in Floyd's system which should explain a bit of the assist #'s along with his handle. Kinda the same how Bargnani can pass the ball, but has poor assit #'s when he was just used as a ball reversal passer at the top of the arc.

btw nice sig

Return to Toronto Raptors