ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Detroit Fires Mike Curry

Moderators: 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper

Hypz
Head Coach
And1: 8

Re: OT: Detroit Fires Mike Curry 

Post#21 » by Hypz » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:12 pm

It's MO SHATS time in D-town!!!!!!!!
RapsVC15
RealGM
And1: 424

Post#22 » by RapsVC15 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:14 pm

Dumars better hope that the Pistons bounce back next season, or he could be the next one getting canned.

Betting the house on Stuckey's development, hiring Curry, trading Billups etc. Dumars' clock is ticking...
Calderon For PM
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#23 » by Calderon For PM » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:14 pm

basketball royalty wrote:Hiring Curry was a bigger mistake than the Billups for AI trade. A real coach would have done a better job in making it work with AI and the team wouldn't have been as bad as it was.

The A.I. trade wasn't a mistake at all. That team was getting old every year and they kept on losing late in the playoffs ever since their last championship. Dumping Billups' contract and picking up someone talented, yet old with an AMAZING contract to drop or trade later on, was the best decision for a slightly rebuilding Pistons.

Now, hiring Curry on the other hand, was the dumbest idea ever. Combined with Curry's lack of experience and Dumars' lack of patience it created a disappointing season for the Pistons. I see Avery going to that team.
youngLion
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#24 » by youngLion » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:21 pm

underdog33 wrote:
youngLion wrote:I can't claim to know if Curry was a good coach or not, but the trend of hiring former players instead of career coaches has never made much sense to me.

Lots of good coaches have been players too: Byron Scott, Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, etc.

Of course, we all know that. I should have been more specific. What I meant was that we're seeing more coaches go almost directly from playing to coaching. Curry jumped right in to the Detroit job after retiring; Sam Mitchell only had a few years as an assistant before becoming a head coach; Mark Jackson refuses to even accept an assistant job. Guys like Phil Jackson got some experience coaching outside of the NBA before jumping to the big show.

Obviously it can work, and we've seen a few very successful examples, but I would argue that your odds are better going with a Van Gundy than a Curry.
KG1585
Head Coach
And1: 248

Post#25 » by KG1585 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:32 pm

I still remember the time when Doug Somith wanted Curry as an assistant gm to Wayne Embry. What a disaster that would have been.
Maritimer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 78

Post#26 » by Maritimer » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:35 pm

Curry would actually be quite a good executive. Years of experience with the player's union and he does know the game well. It could very well translate to the front office, whereas he just might not have the alpha dog personality to be a coach.

Sounds like Doug Collins is the leading candidate (from the wiretap).
On LeBron not committing fouls:
Marvin! wrote:He also doesn't poo... his body transforms food into flower seeds, which he then sends to poor inner city neighborhoods and distributes free of charge. Let us all give thanks and praise him!
Viperstrike
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#27 » by Viperstrike » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:37 pm

I knew Michael Curry would be fired. but anyways I think Doug Collins would end up being the coach for the Detroit Pistons.
Marvin!
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 806

Post#28 » by Marvin! » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:39 pm

who was that poster that, not 2 or 3 months ago, was lamenting how bad the Toronto Management team is because they let such a great coach get away?!? :lol:
Childlike
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#29 » by Childlike » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:48 pm

Jeff Van Gundy hasn't won anything and he doesn't seem to take on stress very well. Mitchell on the other hand, took the stress and was a good communicator (very good communicator) however he isn't an x's and o's type of guy (not even a little bit).

Sam Mitchell is a good coach under certain circumstances. Players that rise when confronted will do very well under Mitchell because he's a very confrontational coach (Bosh, TJ Ford) players who break under confrontation won't (Bargnani, Graham).
Pchu
Lead Assistant
And1: 230

Post#30 » by Pchu » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:49 pm

Collins would ruin that team. I don't get why everyone likes him and thinks he is a good coach. Honestly, what has he done as a coach that merit such a pedigree? It seems every team looks for him to coach.
saham
Rookie
And1: 47

Post#31 » by saham » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:11 pm

Childlike wrote:Jeff Van Gundy hasn't won anything and he doesn't seem to take on stress very well. Mitchell on the other hand, took the stress and was a good communicator (very good communicator) however he isn't an x's and o's type of guy (not even a little bit).

Sam Mitchell is a good coach under certain circumstances. Players that rise when confronted will do very well under Mitchell because he's a very confrontational coach (Bosh, TJ Ford) players who break under confrontation won't (Bargnani, Graham).

I think a better word would be "leash" and not confrontation. Mitchell had a short leash with developing players such as Bargnani and Graham. You make one mistake and you are back on the bench and don't play the rest of the game. IMO it wasn't the right approach due to the fact that Bargnani's natural position was PF. Same with Graham, he was an undersized PF as well. What Mitchell didn't realize that you let these guys make some mistakes if they are learning a different position in the league, thus have a longer leash on them if you want them to develop without having a fear of making a mistake.
just23
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#32 » by just23 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:24 pm

The only way for a coach to get good is for him to be given several years to get his s**t together. The Utah Jazz have had their ups and downs, but I don't think they've ever had any problems with instability because once Sloan proved himself they let him do his job without questioning him. Unfortunately one of the components to a coach getting to that legendary status is having players make you look good. Sloan had Stockton and Malone as well as Hornacek and Eaton. He had early success and when you have that and you have the respect of great players you get a damn good reputation.
Jackson had Jordan and Pippen. They made him look brilliant and he is in his way. However, Phil's greatest talent lies in keeping ego maniacs happy. Mitchell wasn't a bad coach, but he had a pretty weak roster to work with. The one year he had a decent team we won the division. Too bad we never upgraded the talent enough here because if we had Mitch would've done better. He wasn't a brilliant coach, but you don't have to be to have success. You need the respect of your players and you need the right mix of players. Well anyway, Curry was blamed for things which weren't his fault(like Iverson not fitting in as well as Billups which wasn't surprising was it?) and he was fired. Same thing happens to several coaches every year. Same thing will happen to Triano eventually. That's life as an NBA coach when you don't have the right roster to work with.
Hoopstarr
RealGM
And1: 10,182

Post#33 » by Hoopstarr » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:27 pm

I figured there was a reason Bill Laimbeer resigned from the Detroit Shock
kalel123
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,998

Post#34 » by kalel123 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:45 pm

Sort of weird timing. Why wait all this time to fire him?
ranger001
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,752

Post#35 » by ranger001 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:48 pm

I don't believe Smitch will be invited to coach. The coach for them should be Jeff Van Gundy, the King of walk it up basketball which is a Detroit staple.
99 Problems
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#36 » by 99 Problems » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:04 pm

Joe D sure has a quick trigger finger..
will
RealGM
And1: 49,385
Location: Pat's Homestyle Jamaican Restaurant. Shouts to Sheryl's Caribbean Cuisine

Post#37 » by will » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:25 pm

As soon as Dumars made the CBills for AI deal, it was a wrap for Curry. Rookie head coach on a veteran team, and then he's gotta work AI into the mix? It was a recipe for disaster.

I truly don't think it was Curry's call to bring Rip off the bench. How bad would Dumars have looked if AI was brought off the bench after dealing away Billups? It was strictly about Dumars saving face on that deal, and unfortunately Curry was the one who had to take the fall.
dillio
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,069

Post#38 » by dillio » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:31 pm

I hated Curry when we played for us. What a waste of space.

Return to Toronto Raptors