ImageImageImageImageImage

What effect will Alex English have on DD

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

JLR
Freshman
And1: 0

What effect will Alex English have on DD 

Post#1 » by JLR » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:02 pm

How do you guys think English, one of the greatest scoring guards of his time, will influence DD. As an assistant coach, can he teach Derozan how to become a legitimate NBA swingman?

I never saw English play, but from what I hear he was pretty good.....what kind of game did he have? We've seen Ewing positively assist in Howard's development, and I believe Kareem has been working with Bynum over the last few years which has shown some success; maybe English can develop a similar relationship with DD.
rdtx2005
RealGM
And1: 17

Re: What affect will Alex English have on DD 

Post#2 » by rdtx2005 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:04 pm

JLR wrote:How do you guys think English, one of the greatest scoring guards of his time, will influence DD. As an assistant coach, can he teach Derozan how to become a legitimate NBA swingman?

I never saw English play, but from what I hear he was pretty good.....what kind of game did he have? We've seen Ewing positively assist in Howard's development, and I believe Kareem has been working with Bynum over the last few years which has shown some success; maybe English can develop a similar relationship with DD.

He was only the most prolific scorer in the NBA during the 80s

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ial01.html
[SJJ]
General Manager
And1: 3,222

Post#3 » by [SJJ] » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:07 pm

If i'm derozan... He's my new best friend and i follow him everywhere.
Southward1
General Manager
And1: 2,411

Post#4 » by Southward1 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:16 pm

-First off, Alex English was an absolutely terror offensively during the 80s. There is nobody in the league really similar to him. He actually played a lot of his career as an undersized PF, but was generally a SF. A good rebounder and passer, and great in the low-post. I guess I'd compare him to a cross between a Prime McGrady and a Prime Garnett.
-Like SJJ said Demar should be his best friend. English was a great scorer and really didn't use a 3pt shot. English could teach him to maximize his athleticism and strength while he's scoring because physically they where similar players. Basically English can teach him how to score without jumpshots.
StopitLeo
RealGM
And1: 6,605

Post#5 » by StopitLeo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:17 pm

If DeRozan is as much of a sponge as he makes it seem in his interviews I think this coaching staff will be great for him. English has such a huge rep around the league and historically that DD should be able to learn a lot of the tricks-of-the-trade. I love that Alvin is on the staff now as well because his work ethic should rub off nicely on DD too.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#6 » by J-Roc » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:17 pm

It's "effect". And I don't think it will mean much. Haven't we heard that English has been the one to work with the bigs? And it's not like Joey picked up on anything. It's all about DD's natural talent and his own willingness to practice.
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#7 » by Anatomize » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:27 pm

lucky777s
Lead Assistant
And1: 686

Post#8 » by lucky777s » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:34 pm

Given the lack of significant development in our bigs and wings you would have to think that Alex is not able to translate his skill as a player into being an effective teacher. Or at least the coaching staff is not able to develop effective drills that players could use to incorporate these lessons into their games.

You need constant repetition and practice to re-learn the way you do things and get rid of bad habits.

I mean Bosh still cannot make a decent pass out of a double team.
israeli_jordan
Banned User

Post#9 » by israeli_jordan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:35 pm

i've thought about this topic as well and i do believe that english will have a significant impact on derozan.

english was the higest scoring player of the 1980s! that's saying a lot considering the legends that played in that decade...

he's also a USC product so i'm sure derozan has at least heard of him and has respect for him. i say that because derozan is only 19 so clearly he grew up watching guys like kobe,vince,lebron and maybe jordan at a very early age...
logicz
Senior
And1: 68

Post#10 » by logicz » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:37 pm

English will take DD on his wing ... and will become the most prolific scorer of the decade!!
Don't Wake Me Up.
israeli_jordan
Banned User

Post#11 » by israeli_jordan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:37 pm

lucky777s wrote:Given the lack of significant development in our bigs and wings you would have to think that Alex is not able to translate his skill as a player into being an effective teacher. Or at least the coaching staff is not able to develop effective drills that players could use to incorporate these lessons into their games.

You need constant repetition and practice to re-learn the way you do things and get rid of bad habits.

?????

Bosh makes great passes off double teams, our rotations havent been good enough consistently to put players in position to recieve passes.

Secondly, HAVE YOU SEEN THE WINGS we had for the last two years? I know Alex English has been around the team for a while, but other than Joey Graham (who's more of a power player than anything), we haven't had any type of player that is smooth or finesse like English was.

Maybe Jamario Moon, lol, but shouldn't that help my argument? :)
JLR
Freshman

Post#12 » by JLR » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:48 pm

J-Roc wrote:It's "effect". And I don't think it will mean much. Haven't we heard that English has been the one to work with the bigs? And it's not like Joey picked up on anything. It's all about DD's natural talent and his own willingness to practice.

I corrected the title to make you feel better.
Hoopstarr
RealGM
And1: 10,189

Post#13 » by Hoopstarr » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:51 pm

J-Roc wrote:It's "effect". And I don't think it will mean much. Haven't we heard that English has been the one to work with the bigs? And it's not like Joey picked up on anything. It's all about DD's natural talent and his own willingness to practice.

Actually, it can be both affect or effect depending on the wording, but who cares, grammar sucks.

If D10 can look at the way English carries himself and prepares, maybe it'll rub off on him but D10 will have to do the rest of the work on his own.
lemondrop
Banned User

Re: What effect will Alex English have on DD 

Post#14 » by lemondrop » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:54 pm

He seems to soft spoken to me, if I want Derozan to be a star I want someone not only teaching him but constantly being on him like Oakley was on Vince. I want him to be angry when he steps in the court, I want him to step on the court like a starving lion and attack. I like english but dude looks like he is half a sleep while he talks (if he talks) half the time.
israeli_jordan
Banned User

Post#15 » by israeli_jordan » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:12 pm

JLR wrote:

I corrected the title to make you feel better.

rofl
CapeCrusader
General Manager
And1: 92

Post#16 » by CapeCrusader » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:22 pm

Anatomize wrote:Alex was born to teach : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG7NUGph ... re=related

Weird commerical lol.
B*TCH ! You Weren't With Me Shooting At The Gym!
CapeCrusader
General Manager
And1: 92

Post#17 » by CapeCrusader » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:26 pm

rdtx2005 wrote:
JLR wrote:How do you guys think English, one of the greatest scoring guards of his time, will influence DD. As an assistant coach, can he teach Derozan how to become a legitimate NBA swingman?

Wow I knew English was good, but I didn't know he was that good. He pretty much became a star right when he went to Denver. Damn!....his stats were killer for almost 10 years on that team. But yeah to stick with the topic, I hope he can help out Bargs more if anything...I think either way DeMar is going to play how he did in his freshman year out of USC and will soak up anything taught to him by the coaching staff in his first year and apply it to his second.
B*TCH ! You Weren't With Me Shooting At The Gym!
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#18 » by Anatomize » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:22 pm

CapeCrusader wrote:
rdtx2005 wrote:

Wow I knew English was good, but I didn't know he was that good. He pretty much became a star right when he went to Denver. Damn!....his stats were killer for almost 10 years on that team. But yeah to stick with the topic, I hope he can help out Bargs more if anything...I think either way DeMar is going to play how he did in his freshman year out of USC and will soak up anything taught to him by the coaching staff in his first year and apply it to his second.

He's top 50 greatest of all time
Homer Jay
Assistant Coach
And1: 674

Post#19 » by Homer Jay » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:32 pm

English had a hugely rounded offensive game. He could score anyway, his game was probably closest to MJ's, although he lacked MJ's hops and explosiveness. Like MJ he preferred the 18-footer mostly, and did not shoot much threes. He could be a huge influence on DD's game. Ditto on Alvin hopefully being able to translate his work ethic and being ice cold under pressure.
lucky777s wrote:Given the lack of significant development in our bigs and wings you would have to think that Alex is not able to translate his skill as a player into being an effective teacher. Or at least the coaching staff is not able to develop effective drills that players could use to incorporate these lessons into their games.

I would think that Bosh's most effective shot being his 15-footer out of the iso, that English has managed to translate at least that to him.
junot111
General Manager
And1: 2,817

Post#20 » by junot111 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:44 pm

he's going to make him a player

Return to Toronto Raptors