ImageImageImageImageImage

Grizzlies to offer David Lee $50 million?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Re: Grizzlies to offer David Lee $50 million? 

Post#21 » by Undefeated » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:15 pm

Dennis P wrote:
ghuytro wrote:
Dennis P wrote:He's not an impact player. You can't market around a guy who is a role player just because he's white...

A role player who puts up 16/12 on 55% shooting and a 19.1 PER?

He's a highly underrated player.

great numbers but definitely not an impact player do you agree?

I agree with you. Book it he won't get those numbers in Memphis. No one grabs rebounds in NY so he’s inflated with those numbers.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
Dennis P
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Dennis P » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:17 pm

Undefeated wrote:
Dennis P wrote:
ghuytro wrote:A role player who puts up 16/12 on 55% shooting and a 19.1 PER?

I agree with you. Book it he won't get those numbers in Memphis. No one grabs rebounds in NY so he’s inflated with those numbers.

I just try to stay away from stats and watch the games. He plays hard in spurts but rarely does he impact the outcome of a game he is a great rebounder and often gets points for himself. You can't run plays for him.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Undefeated » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:22 pm

Dennis P wrote:I just try to stay away from stats and watch the games. He plays hard in spurts but rarely does he impact the outcome of a game he is a great rebounder and often gets points for himself. You can't run plays for him.

IMO, Lee is just an energy player, that's it. Good to have if you're contending, not good if you're re-building like the Grizzlies.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,400

Post#24 » by YogiStewart » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:23 pm

dagger wrote:Supposedly, the Knicks are looking to offer him 4/$32 million. Might he take that to stay in NYK? I'd take a cut to stay in NYK, with d'Antoni, than go to Memphis and play in an empty arena.

i am sure his agent is whispering the exact same thing to him at this moment. "David, take a cut to stay in NY....I want you to be happy...money doesn't matter"
neurotik
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,864

Post#25 » by neurotik » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:24 pm

I really like Lee's game. He's not the tallest guy or the the most athletic guy but he's savvy and finds a way to get points and boards. That being said he is not worth 50 million IMO. Memphis should look to make more reasonable free agent signings and rely on draft picks for the next 2 years.

And as for the comment about the Grizz signing him to address the white market is bull. As was mentioned in an earlier post winning fills seats. Any impact that Lee's racial background would on the matter would be marginal (and not worth 50 M)
(1 of 10)
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,400

Post#26 » by YogiStewart » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:24 pm

Dennis P wrote:
I just try to stay away from stats and watch the games. He plays hard in spurts but rarely does he impact the outcome of a game he is a great rebounder and often gets points for himself. You can't run plays for him.

+1.

He's a piece. Memphis is pretty far from needing to sign a piece.
Condi Rice
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by Condi Rice » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:27 pm

WTF, Memphis still has an NBA team???
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,497

Post#28 » by dagger » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:29 pm

Dennis P wrote:
ghuytro wrote:
Dennis P wrote:He's not an impact player. You can't market around a guy who is a role player just because he's white...

A role player who puts up 16/12 on 55% shooting and a 19.1 PER?

If he were an impact player, he'd get even more money. I think a deal starting at $8 million, with max increases, is the rock bottom minimum for a player with his offensive success rate. He may be a role player, but there are different levels of role player and he's definitely at the top.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,159

Post#29 » by djsunyc » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:31 pm

lee's gotten better every year and is a team player. no need to believe he's reached his peak yet.
Dennis P
Banned User

Post#30 » by Dennis P » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:33 pm

dagger wrote:
Dennis P wrote:
ghuytro wrote:A role player who puts up 16/12 on 55% shooting and a 19.1 PER?

If he were an impact player, he'd get even more money. I think a deal starting at $8 million, with max increases, is the rock bottom minimum for a player with his offensive success rate. He may be a role player, but there are different levels of role player and he's definitely at the top.

This was in relation to your quote, you said Memphis need him to appeal to a broader market. I don't think Lee is the guy who put people in seats like you suggested. I wouldn't give him a penny over 7.5 million he is a great role player but his role is limited. He can't defend and his offensive game leaves A LOT to be desired.
STA 13
Lead Assistant
And1: 361

Post#31 » by STA 13 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:33 pm

Lee would work well with Thabeet due to his rebounding prowess. With Mayo and Gay, they dont need much offense from the fronctourt, just hustle.

PG: Conley
SG: May
SF: Gay
PF: Lee
C: Thabeet/Gasol

Give that lineup another year (particularly for Conley and Thabeet to develo) and I think they may start winning quite a few games.
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,272

Post#32 » by Raps in 4 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:35 pm

STA 13 wrote:Lee would work well with Thabeet due to his rebounding prowess. With Mayo and Gay, they dont need much offense from the fronctourt, just hustle.

Give that lineup another year (particularly for Conley and Thabeet to develo) and I think they may start winning quite a few games.

I'd have to agree, but only if Thabeet isn't a bust.
vulture
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,900

Post#33 » by vulture » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:37 pm

YogiStewart wrote:He's a piece. Memphis is pretty far from needing to sign a piece.

I love that raptor fans say that about the grizzlies, but yet the raptors are in the same positions and we just turn a blind eye.
We suck as much as them and they have a better future than us.
Ackshun
General Manager
And1: 4,592

Post#34 » by Ackshun » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:37 pm

didnt wallace say he didnt want more than 1 big starting?!

should have got harden in that case
Condi Rice
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by Condi Rice » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:39 pm

UssjTrunks wrote:
STA 13 wrote:Lee would work well with Thabeet due to his rebounding prowess. With Mayo and Gay, they dont need much offense from the fronctourt, just hustle.

I'd have to agree, but only if Thabeet isn't a bust.

Conley = Bust
Thabeet = 7'3 Bust
Mayo = Chucko (see Mike James)
Gay = Gay
Lee = OVER-RATED
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Undefeated » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:41 pm

Dennis P wrote:
dagger wrote:If he were an impact player, he'd get even more money. I think a deal starting at $8 million, with max increases, is the rock bottom minimum for a player with his offensive success rate. He may be a role player, but there are different levels of role player and he's definitely at the top.

This was in relation to your quote, you said Memphis need him to appeal to a broader market. I don't think Lee is the guy who put people in seats like you suggested. I wouldn't give him a penny over 7.5 million he is a great role player but his role is limited. He can't defend and his offensive game leaves A LOT to be desired.

Maybe you're right about Lee not putting butts into the arena, but at least the Grizzlies would have another rising star in the league to advertise to bring in some money. Anyways, dagger is right about different level of role players and Lee does fall into the top tier who deserves to get paid $8 million per based on other top tier role players who also fall in that range.
laoboy
Junior

Post#37 » by laoboy » Wed Jul 1, 2009 6:32 pm

Lee is not worth 5yr / 50 million . . he's probably worth around 5 year / 35 mill
"With the 8th pick of the 2004 NBA Draft, the Toronto Raptors select . . . . . Rafael Araujo."
Hassassin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,608

Post#38 » by Hassassin » Wed Jul 1, 2009 7:19 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grizzlies' owner Michael Heisley has apparently not given GM Chris Wallace approval to make a lucrative offer to David Lee

See wiretap
Condi Rice
Sixth Man

Post#39 » by Condi Rice » Wed Jul 1, 2009 7:22 pm

Lee is worth the MLE, that is all.
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#40 » by sh00n » Wed Jul 1, 2009 7:28 pm

Disgusting. New York would be ****ed in the head to match that.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app

Return to Toronto Raptors