ImageImageImageImageImage

Marion's Name Quiet in FA Market

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Sprite Zoner
Junior
And1: 0

Marion's Name Quiet in FA Market 

Post#1 » by Sprite Zoner » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:18 pm

Marion's name hasn't been mentioned or linked to any other team offering him a contract or certain amount of dollars other than ours. He is a big name in this FA market and I'm pretty surprised his name hasn't popped out more and linked to several suitors as it should have.

Aside from that, we are linked to Lee, Ariza, Kleiza, Turkoglu & Marion.

You wonder if the "good possibility" talks about Marion resigning are true, but then you speculate why were actively linked to all the other top names.

IMO, something is going to go down by S&T by the looks of things. Who is involved, nobody knows.
killerbs
Analyst
And1: 46

Re: Marion's Name Quiet in FA Market 

Post#2 » by killerbs » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:20 pm

uz knowz
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#3 » by timdunkit » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:21 pm

It works better for us ... Fegan is going to look like an idiot if Marion signs for the MLE! Thats why I proposed that BC gives him a deadline and then moves on to plan b/c/d whichever one doesn't include Marion .... the deadline will force Marion and Fegan to act up early and they probably know that the Raptors are the best place for Marion ...
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#4 » by dacrusha » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:23 pm

Points about the Marion situation:

1) He wants too much money and has a really high opinion of what he's worth
2) His skills have really deteriorated, yet he has a really high opinion of what he can still bring to the court
3) He has a disrupting personality (and a disrupting agent) that a lot of GMs are staying away from
4) Teams don't want to help out the Raptors
5) Teams are best off waiting for a few weeks, because they know that Marion will still be available at a bargain-bin price.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
lemondrop
Banned User

Post#5 » by lemondrop » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:24 pm

sprint zoner strikes again, come on man lets not start another discussion on the same stuff.

Why don't you call your magical sources that told you we wanted Derozan when we really wanted Harden
MagnusPinus
Analyst
And1: 148

Post#6 » by MagnusPinus » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:25 pm

No one wants him for more than midlevel. He is trying to make the raptors pay.. I hope BC doesnt' get screwed
GuyverADL wrote:
The only thing Curry will raise from the start of the season is his cholesterol.
People do not understand Curry's reason for wanting to be a ballerina. He wanted to be able to contort his body to be able to fit in the fridge.
bakafool
RealGM
And1: 4,651

Post#7 » by bakafool » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:25 pm

Marion was a big name before, but not now. After his stints with Miami and Toronto and with his huge salary it's unlikely that many teams are interested in him.
Noooo!!! Not Possible! Not Possible! - Comcast commentator after the shot by Mo Peterson.
rdtx2005
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#8 » by rdtx2005 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:38 pm

lemondrop wrote:sprint zoner strikes again, come on man lets not start another discussion on the same stuff.

Why don't you call your magical sources that told you we wanted Derozan when we really wanted Harden

since where did he say that his source told him? It appears to me that he just wants to state his opinion.. without Sources

time to take a chill pill man.. time for you to go outside and live a little.
The Stripe
Junior
And1: 9

Post#9 » by The Stripe » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:40 pm

lemondrop wrote:sprint zoner strikes again, come on man lets not start another discussion on the same stuff.

Bold words coming from RealGM's biggest and spammiest drama queen of late.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#10 » by djsunyc » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:40 pm

rdtx2005 wrote:

since where did he say that his source told him? It appears to me that he just wants to state his opinion.. without Sources

lol - dude has been eating bitter pills for months now.

back to marion - colangelo operates on the sly. trading for tj came out of nowhere. trading for deltron came out of nowhere. trading for reggie evans came out of nowhere. right now, nobody knows what's going on with the raptors and marion - nobody. these toronto reporters, bloggers, espn "experts", nobody knows anything. only colangelo + marion do. sit back and let the process ride out.
bthrawn
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#11 » by bthrawn » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:42 pm

Teams with cap space are going for younger SF first. Once Hedo and Ariza are sorted out then I would think things would heat up for Marion.
The Stripe
Junior
And1: 9

Post#12 » by The Stripe » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:42 pm

djsunyc wrote:back to marion - colangelo operates on the sly. trading for tj came out of nowhere. trading for deltron came out of nowhere. trading for reggie evans came out of nowhere. right now, nobody knows what's going on with the raptors and marion - nobody. these toronto reporters, bloggers, espn "experts", nobody knows anything. only colangelo + marion do. sit back and let the process ride out.

This.
lemondrop
Banned User

Post#13 » by lemondrop » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:44 pm

rdtx2005 wrote:

There is dedicated threads to all these players and countless threads on this very same discussion, dude needs to read a bit before posting more of the same, im getting tired of reading the same old crap over and over and over again.

The sources im talking about are the bogus ones from the draft, surely they would know whats going on, then again they were wrong the first time. :roll:

And yes I need to get outside but i cannot until I see a move lol and so im getting cranky :lol:
satyr9
Assistant Coach
And1: 563

Post#14 » by satyr9 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:48 pm

Marion's got nowhere to go is his problem. There are lots of FA SFs this year and not nearly enough spots available. If Hedo goes elsewhere, Orl could be in at MLE prices, but I can't see the S&T working 'cause I can't see them wanting to spend more than MLE for Marion because of their payroll already. After that, I just don't see a contending team (which you'd assume you'd have to be to want to pay a guy like Marion) that has a need for him at all. A couple spots could get interest if they made other moves. I could see DAL interested if Howard was out and Kidd was in (and Howard hadn't brought back a SF). LAL if they lost both their SFs without compensation (which will never happen. They're keeping one for sure). After that I'm stumped, and the likelihood of those is still really bad to me. Maybe there are a couple style fits in places like GS or NY, but I can't see NY giving up future cap space for Marion (especially 'cause Chandler is in that spot and there's no reason to take his minutes away while you're rebuilding). GS just doesn't work for me either 'cause you'll be taking away minutes from Randolph some way or another 'cause he's a PF for them and they can't play him at SF 'cause they've already got about 8 of them (although maybe there's a S&T where Marion gets MLE but with better raises and the Raps get one or two of Morrow, Watson, Wright, Belinelli types to just make the 125% rule work).

Basically, Marion doesn't have a home outside of TOR right now. There's no rush for us to re-sign him 'cause there's almost no danger of another offer out there until some of the dominoes start to fall.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#15 » by J-Roc » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:52 pm

Been saying for weeks that no "legit rumour" has come out about ANY team in the NBA wanting to pursue Marion.

Whats worse.....and more telling....not even any fans in forums are clamouring for their team to pursue Marion!! :o
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#16 » by timdunkit » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:55 pm

J-Roc wrote:Been saying for weeks that no "legit rumour" has come out about ANY team in the NBA wanting to pursue Marion.

Whats worse.....and more telling....not even any fans in forums are clamouring for their team to pursue Marion!! :o

I actually though Portland would be the first team to contract Marion ... he pretty much fits with what they need and he would be a great glue/vet presence for them ... I think the person who gets the worst of it is Dan Fegan ... he rejected 10-12 mill dollar extension talks from the Suns thinking Marion could get 17 mill+ , then he rejects the Miami 30 mill 3 year extension and now the market is completey drowned and no one is really in play for Marion ... After all that, Fegan has to go tell Marion that he either takes Tor 7-8 mill offer or settle for the MLE ...
S.W.A.N
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,513

Post#17 » by S.W.A.N » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:56 pm

lemondrop wrote:
rdtx2005 wrote:

There is dedicated threads to all these players and countless threads on this very same discussion, dude needs to read a bit before posting more of the same, im getting tired of reading the same old crap over and over and over again.

The sources im talking about are the bogus ones from the draft, surely they would know whats going on, then again they were wrong the first time. :roll:

And yes I need to get outside but i cannot until I see a move lol and so im getting cranky :lol:

Give it a rest. Dude said that Derozan was our guy at 9.We drafted Derozan...... Just because the raps explored other options (moving up) does not mean that he did not have inside insight into situation.
We the North
STA 13
Lead Assistant
And1: 361

Post#18 » by STA 13 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 5:57 pm

Marion has seriously deteriorate--just ask Heat and Raptor fans.
He would be a very good option at the MLE for a contending team though. I would think Portland + Celveland would be all over him but apparently not.
rdtx2005
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#19 » by rdtx2005 » Thu Jul 2, 2009 6:02 pm

lemondrop wrote:
rdtx2005 wrote:

and I ask the question again.. where is SZ say that his sources told him this? (in regards to this post that you quickly pounced on before reading probably)
gloriousthree
Junior

Post#20 » by gloriousthree » Thu Jul 2, 2009 6:04 pm

Well that is good news for us. No team with cap space is left, except for us, and he can either sign for slightly over MLE money here or we can S&T him. We hold all the cards.

Personally I expect him to re-sign with the Raptors since there is no better fit for either side.
Greasenani FTW!!

Return to Toronto Raptors