ImageImageImageImageImage

UPDATE: Grange says Hedo-to-TO done, in excess of 5/$50m

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

rdtx2005
RealGM
And1: 17

Re: UPDATE: Grange says Hedo-to-TO done, in excess of 5/$50m 

Post#1021 » by rdtx2005 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:11 pm

STEELE_34 wrote:Marion would be the better signing.

this makes little sense to pay turk this kind of money.

but hey yall will see,wait till the season start.

its fair market value for Turk.
BigShotBob13
Starter
And1: 297

Post#1022 » by BigShotBob13 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:11 pm

Dangerously Dan wrote:I can see why one might be against this move in general, but when you read some of the reasons you people have for hating it.... :banghead:

Well your post isn't much of an argument.

I'm against this move because it takes away from our depth and goes completely against everything that BC has spouting out since we traded away JO. We've become redundant again where we just have too many similar players on the floor and even if they do work out and gel really well, we have no one capable of handling more then 2 mins when they're off the floor. BC has been preaching depth, defense, rebounding, toughness, speed and running, Hedo addresses none of those things. He may give us a great option in the clutch but what's the point when we could possibly never be in a close game to take advantage of those skills. Im willing to wait and see what BC has up his sleeve to strengthen this team but as of right now, we have a 4 man starting lineup and a team that could be crippled if any of them goes down for an extended period. Oh wait does that sound familiar? This is last year all over again.
Formerly...Damn, I forgot who I was...
zilby
RealGM
And1: 38,871

Re: Hedo REJECTS Portland offer and ENDS negotiations 

Post#1023 » by zilby » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:14 pm

BD12 wrote:His wifey probably threatened to divorce him if he signed with Portland

LOL.

HEDO IN THE T.O BABY!
Hawaiian pizza is good.
KingstonRaptors
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#1024 » by KingstonRaptors » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:22 pm

Dear Baby Jesus,

Please for the love of your father, let BC have a plan to bring in some bench depth.
Credit to triplemke23 for the sig.
boshville
Senior
And1: 1

Post#1025 » by boshville » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:39 pm

The only way to judge this move is by looking at the next moves coming up. If some depth is acquired, I know many of you will put your pitchforks away. BC has found some gems before, and I am hoping he can find a few more to round out this roster.

Maybe he is just planning on trading Ukic and Hump and signing Rasho.

Calderon/Dooling
Derozen/?/Douby
Hedo/?
Bosh/Evans
Bargs/Rasho

If we can keep Delfino somehow then this trade would be great. Pick up an athletic, minimum salary SF and we would be ready for next year. DD can start with this group to instill athleticism and have a balanced bench including Delfino and maybe Carney? There is no way this team will be worse then last years.
jrsmith
Banned User
And1: 18

Post#1026 » by jrsmith » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:40 pm

I dont see how this move is bad for jose's game, I think its the total opposite.

You get hedo the ball and let him create, and let calderon stand there and just be a spot up shooter, which is what he has become and its the strongest part of his game. This also leaves him with more energy to exert on defense, rather then run around the 3point line for 15seconds and pass it off. All in all this move doesnt hurt anyone on offense.
[SJJ]
General Manager
And1: 3,222

Post#1027 » by [SJJ] » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:45 pm

Woot woot woot. Lets be POSITIVE!!!
postup
Sixth Man
And1: 267

Post#1028 » by postup » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:47 pm

jrsmith wrote:I dont see how this move is bad for jose's game, I think its the total opposite.

You get hedo the ball and let him create, and let calderon stand there and just be a spot up shooter, which is what he has become and its the strongest part of his game. This also leaves him with more energy to exert on defense, rather then run around the 3point line for 15seconds and pass it off. All in all this move doesnt hurt anyone on offense.

Absolutely. On top of that, Jose's game does not fit Marion's game at all. There was bound to be increasing frustration. And please don't tell me about the last ten games of the season; they didn't matter, the season was over for us and most of our opponents. If Triano really wants to play an uptempo running game, then Jose is not the ideal PG, period. Hedo is a lot of things, but he's not a speedster.

In fact, Jose's style matches perfectly with Hedo's game, IMO.

Thanks to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
kyrils
Junior
And1: 16

Post#1029 » by kyrils » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:52 pm

Larry Bird exception

Perhaps the most well-known of the NBA's salary cap exceptions, it is so named because the Boston Celtics were the first team permitted to exceed the salary cap to re-sign one of their own players (in that case, Larry Bird). Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "qualifying veteran free agents" or "Bird Free Agents" in the CBA, and this exception falls under the auspices of the Veteran Free Agent exception. In a nutshell, the Larry Bird exception allows teams to exceed the salary cap to re-sign their own free agents, at an amount up to the maximum salary. To qualify as a Bird free agent, a player must have played three seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. This means a player can obtain "Bird rights" by playing under three one-year contracts, a single contract of at least three years, or any combination thereof. It also means that when a player is traded, his Bird rights are traded with him, and his new team can use the Bird exception to re-sign him. Bird-exception contracts can be up to six years in length.

[edit] Early Bird exception

This is the lesser form of the Larry Bird Exception. Free agents who qualify for this exception are called "early qualifying veteran free agents," and qualify after playing two seasons without being waived or changing teams as a free agent. Using this exception, a team can re-sign its own free agent for either 175% of his salary the previous season, or the NBA's average salary, whichever is greater. Early Bird contracts must be for at least two seasons, but can last no longer than five seasons.

A much-publicized example for this would be Devean George, who vetoed his inclusion into a larger trade during the 2007-08 that would have sent him from the Dallas Mavericks to the New Jersey Nets because he would have lost his Early Bird rights.

[edit] Non-Bird exception

Free Agents who qualify for this exception are called "non-qualifying free agents" in the CBA, meaning they do not qualify under either the Larry Bird Exception or the Early Bird Exception. Under this exception, teams can re-sign a player to a contract beginning at either 120% of his salary for the previous season, or 120% of the league's minimum salary, whichever amount is higher. Contracts signed under the Non-Bird exception can last up to six years.

just for your info

If we decide to go over the cap this year we can sign any of our own players
The raptors can never win a championship because the refs wont let us...…... Unless a miracle trade happens. :D
Yosemite Dan
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#1030 » by Yosemite Dan » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:05 pm

Again BC appears to be hitting the panic mode with this idiotic signing. Instead of creating a team that actually gels with each other. Instead he breaks open the bank because he hears that a player, and his wife, wouldn't mind playing in Toronto. We are a slow, defensively challenged, jumpshooting team with a weak bench and who do we commit to with for 5 years and over 50 million? A slow, defensively challenged, jumpshooter who will be in his late 30's when the contract is done and severaly weakens our bench. Only the most delusional of fans can be happy about this deal.

It feels like the JO trade. You pretend to be happy because someone new is on the team but deep down you're thinking WTF? and pray we don't get injuries. Only problem is we're committed to this guy for 5 years and not the 2 years we had with JO.

It's funny but when Hedu was mentioned as a signing a few eeeks ago we had naysayers coming out of the woodwork because he was too old and too expensive and now that BC broke open the vault all of a sudden we have everybody praising BC and how Hedu will help everybody including Jose because he won't touch the ball during crunch time etc....(talk about rose coloured glasses)

I give it till January when all the naysayers all come back and condemn BC for a terrible and panicked signing. BC continues to be reactive instead of proactive with this team.
-EKKM-
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#1031 » by -EKKM- » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:07 pm

I dont mind Hedo as a player but I am s=concerned about our bench, it stunk last year and appears to be worse this year.
[SJJ]
General Manager
And1: 3,222

Post#1032 » by [SJJ] » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:12 pm

Jose7
RealGM
And1: 6,877

Post#1033 » by Jose7 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:12 pm

I like hedo as a player but not sure about this team with a conventional PG in Calderon. Hedo has become much more effective as a ball dominanting point forward. In the 4th quarter though, in close games, that pick and roll with Hedo and Bosh will be dangerous.
BAF Suns

Chris Paul / Patrick Beverley / Shamorie Ponds
Buddy Hield / Timothy Luwawu / Stanley Johnson
Kendrick Nunn / Matisse Thybulle / Darius Miller
RJ Barrett / Kyle Kuzma / Dwayne Bacon
DeAndre Jordan / Kenrich Williams / DJ Wilson
ShaqSlamsU
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#1034 » by ShaqSlamsU » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:13 pm

I don't mind Hedo, but the contract is just insanity. 5 years, i bet you all in 3 years he will be too old/busted up, to play 50 games a season. Waste of money, although he might be worth it for the next 2 years, after that...
Gods Eye
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#1035 » by Gods Eye » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:14 pm

Hedo is a defensive beastttttt :lol:

J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#1036 » by J-Roc » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:14 pm

With Hedo, we're much better off in close games down the stretch. We actually have someone we can give the ball to.

Problem is, how close will games be with no depth.

One optimistic view. If it works out, we're all good. If it doesn't, Bosh leaves and we use whatever we get for him (trade, S&T, capspace) to build around Bargnani and Hedo. Let AB be the PF and get a defensive C. Might have an actual direction moving forward in 2010.
v1n5anity
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,059

Post#1037 » by v1n5anity » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:26 pm

between Turkoglu & Marion, Turk is worth that kind of contract. Sure Marion fits in (& is one of my fave players) but Turk scores more points and is more clutch. Toronto could really use a guy like that. Besides we have Derozan to provide the excitement. But if there was a way to still retain Marion, I'm all for it.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#1038 » by J Dilla » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:36 pm

I hope Hedo backs off. It will be a blessing in disguise. I like Hedo and all, but with that price, the Raptors will have another Jermaine situation next year unless if they are willing to go over the cap.
ebo
Sophomore
And1: 232

Post#1039 » by ebo » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:52 pm

J Dilla wrote:I hope Hedo backs off. It will be a blessing in disguise. I like Hedo and all, but with that price, the Raptors will have another Jermaine situation next year unless if they are willing to go over the cap.

I think the surprise we are all in for, is that MLSE has opened its deep pockets to BC in efforts not to lose Bosh. We are probably S&T Marion for somebody. Or (is this possible?) maybe even still signing Marion as a killer versatile 6th?
SCF99
Senior
And1: 19

Post#1040 » by SCF99 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:18 pm

i must be sick i just read all 70 pages, and i still am not clear on the hole renounseing,mle,cap space ,delphino coming staying thing,,,,,,,i guess i will have to start over again

Return to Toronto Raptors