ImageImageImageImageImage

Is Bryan Colangelo a top tier GM?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Rate Bryan Colangelo's skills as a GM

Poll ended at Tue Jul 7, 2009 2:47 am

He is in the top tier of GMs
53%
He is about average as far as GMs go
30%
I think he sucks
17%

Total votes: 70

Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,481

Re: Is Bryan Colangelo a top tier GM? 

Post#21 » by Brinbe » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:00 am

I appreciate that he has the balls to go all out on moves. And he doesn't rest on his laurels as he's not one to accept mediocrity.

Unfortunately, we can't just judge him on intent, we have to judge him for his actual moves. And ever since the Kapono signing, he's not been doing so well in that area. The JO trade and his trading away of future assets only add to this.

And I'm not opposed to signing Turk, but the size and length of his contract is a concern.

So when taken in whole, he merely ranks out as an average GM in my book.
chrismess
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#22 » by chrismess » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:00 am

Yes without a doubt he is a top GM. The problem with all the BC haters is that they're expectations are WAY too high. He came in and immediately made the team respectable which made everyone love him. Now the Raps have fallen back down to earth and everybody (sorry not everybody, but most) jumps off his bandwagon. People totally forget how s**t this organization was before he arrived. I mean it's not like he's the GM of a basketball hotbed.... alot of Raps fans don't seem to realize how hard it is for the Raps to get big time players. Toronto is one of the most amazing cities in N.A but listen to any US media outlet and they talk about it like it's a basketball deadzone. If this Hedo signing works out the Raps will be exciting as hell to watch and have the potential to do some great things. We're are beyond lucky to have this guy as our GM. He's a pro.
boshjonesford
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#23 » by boshjonesford » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:02 am

Well people say Marion compliments Bargs cause of the rebounding

but

Hido Compliments JOse cause of the ball handling (which marion cant do that well) + its a better mix with derozan cause Hedo is a SF with more skills

+ Hedo got 5-6 rebounds a game with one of the best rebounding teams

while Marion got 8 with 2 of the worst rebounding teams ( heats + raptors) which is not much of a difference + i think hedo also compliments Bargs cause of his PF body

+ Hedo is also a better long term solution because he is one year older then Marion and doesnt rely on athleticism as much as Marion does ( which gets worse as you age ) Hedo has more skills which doesnt really change much by age
C Court
RealGM
And1: 25,111

Post#24 » by C Court » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:02 am

The guy has balls and isn't afraid to correct his mistakes with bold moves. He's a top tier GM.
NBA Champion Toronto Raptors
GamePoint
Starter
And1: 109

Post#25 » by GamePoint » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:03 am

People gonna hate.

But as soon as we start rollin, BC is great again.
boshjonesford
Banned User

Post#26 » by boshjonesford » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:06 am

i remember a interview with Derozen, when he was told that people question his shooting

he replied by saying - ya i work to work on that, i need to be like Hedo Turgolu by the start of season (something like, i cant remember exactly)
TheRaptor!
General Manager
And1: 5,533

Post#27 » by TheRaptor! » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:06 am

BC is great.

I have a feeling this FA signing will make a big difference next year. How many times have we seen Bosh fumble the ball in the clutch? Who on this team made big shots last season?
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,409

Post#28 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:06 am

GamePoint wrote:People gonna hate.

Well no s****. We're talking about what he's done so far.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#29 » by djsunyc » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:09 am

let's marinate on this for a second:

he potentially lured away a player that portland wined and dined hard. portland, who's fans will let you think, are on the verge of greatness was SHUNNED for toronto. that's MAJOR.
chrismess
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#30 » by chrismess » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:12 am

Great point.
jay632
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#31 » by jay632 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:14 am

he got rid of some of bad contracts, but he also added bad contracts. kapono, and smitch signings... and it looks like they will overspend for hedo and leave our bench out to dry.
boshjonesford
Banned User

Post#32 » by boshjonesford » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:18 am

jay632 wrote:he got rid of some of bad contracts, but he also added bad contracts. kapono, and smitch signings... and it looks like they will overspend for hedo and leave our bench out to dry.

you cant blame him for the coach signing, he got the extention in the year won COY, which GM wouldn't have given him a contract.
GamePoint
Starter
And1: 109

Post#33 » by GamePoint » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:19 am

UssjTrunks wrote:
GamePoint wrote:People gonna hate.

Well no s****. We're talking about what he's done so far.

I've seen some of your posts, and with your avatar as supporting evidence, you're clearly a Colangelo hater, probably one of those who want him fired. I'm just saying, if you're showing no faith in him now, why bandwagon jump later if things work out?

You're like one of those people who hate on someone you knew in school, then jump on their lap when they strike famous.

Big deal. Some of his moves haven't worked out as envisioned, but he always mans up to them and does his best to fix them. He's been active every off-season that's he been here. It's not like he's trying to screw this team over, he's doing what he can. It's so easy to see that the man hates to lose.

If executives who eat, breath and sleep, basketball all respect him as a top tier GM, why the hell is there even a thread questioning this?
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,409

Post#34 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:19 am

djsunyc wrote:let's marinate on this for a second:

he potentially lured away a player that portland wined and dined hard. portland, who's fans will let you think, are on the verge of greatness was SHUNNED for toronto. that's MAJOR.

Except Portland was in a much better position than we are. Hedo could have potentially elevated them to contender status. He doesn't do much for us. He fits in better than Marion, that's for sure, but all he does is make us slightly better now, which is fine, but I would prefer if our ultimate goal was a championship (something I don't feel this signing accomplishes).
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#35 » by Undefeated » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:21 am

He’s average so far. Although, ever since his first season here, I had expected more from him because he had all the cap-space to do whatever he had wanted to only continue to go up. So, far it’s nothing bad, but we’ve been going down. I have faith in him...
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#36 » by basketball royalty » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:21 am

I'll get back to you after I know what the hell he is up to this summer.
props to Turbozone for the sig
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#37 » by Hendrix » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:24 am

So far he's really been nothing short of horrible. I've defended him. I can't do it anymore.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#38 » by Rapsalot » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:24 am

You have to look at the whole body of work.

Year 1 Top Tier GM
Since then Average
Last year was terrible over traded for JO, over traded to get rid of JO

If we sign Hedo this is how it breaks down.

Toronto out going

TJ Ford
17 pick ( Hibbard or we could have picked someone else )
Rasho
Baston
Moon
2010 first
extra money to get Hedo vs S Marion

Toronto in

41st pick ( Nate J)
Banks a 3rd PG for $4mil per
Hedo
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#39 » by djsunyc » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:25 am

UssjTrunks wrote:
djsunyc wrote:let's marinate on this for a second:

Except Portland was in a much better position than we are. Hedo could have potentially elevated them to contender status. He doesn't do much for us. He fits in better than Marion, that's for sure, but all he does is make us slightly better now, which is fine, but I would prefer if our ultimate goal was a championship (something I don't feel this signing accomplishes).

that doesn't matter. the fact that he spurned a near contender for us speaks volume on how far colangelo has brought the franchise in the eyes of some players. ultimate goal of championship is nice and all, but if bosh is the best player on the squad, then chances are championships are not in the cards. so you make due with what you have.
jay632
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#40 » by jay632 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 3:26 am

my final decision will be next offseason when bosh jets. what is he going to do to fill that hole, can he sign a superstar that will get us to the next level.

Return to Toronto Raptors