ImageImageImageImageImage

What the local media say about Hedo: July 4 edition

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

What the local media say about Hedo: July 4 edition 

Post#1 » by dagger » Sat Jul 4, 2009 12:28 pm

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/stor ... id=1758187

Raptors rolling the dice
Bruce Arthur, National Post
Published: Friday, July 03, 2009

Make no mistake, this is a gamble. This is a roll of the dice in so many ways that the Raptors might as well put a roulette table at the end of the bench. That bench, incidentally, will now consist of a 6-foot-6 growler, a second-year point guard who looks 15, a guy whose nickname is Hump, and rotation players to be named later.

After that, though - well, step right up. Reggie Evans, acquired for Kapono, will provide rebounding and bite. Roko Ukic has hopefully spent his summer preparing to make a Calderon-like leap from year one to year two. And can Kris Humphries play shooting guard? In his mind, probably. Better not ask him.

But barring injury, and assuming the bench is not a complete waste of time, this should push the Raptors back into the playoffs, and perhaps into the top four or five in the East. It might even allow them to keep Bosh, though Toronto's franchise player is keeping his own counsel on the subject. Maybe he's already decided to go play with LeBron James in 2010. But maybe this team adds someone for the mid-level next summer, DeRozan blossoms, some clever moves get made, and this is a pretty dangerous little team.

Or maybe it all falls apart. Sure, Turkoglu is not a shutdown defender - his brilliant block from behind on Kobe in Game 2 notwithstanding - and the Raptors frontcourt now sports three guys who combine for just over 20 rebounds per game.

It cannot have been easy to steal Turkoglu out from under the nose of the up-and-coming Trail Blazers, with Turkoglu in Portland, no less. According to Ric Bucher of ESPN, it helped that Turkoglu's wife preferred the more cosmopolitan destination. Finally, the city and country works in our favour. Took long enough.

This is Colangelo's vision. As he put it three years ago, "I'm betting on the evolution of the game." We'll see if his team, so hobbled and uncertain last season, has finally learned to walk upright.

Toronto Star: Turkoglu deal with Raptors close to reality

G&M: Raptors reach deal with Turkoglu

Doug Smith's blog

My opinion: What the hell, go for broke.

The league is built on talent and that’s as talented a starting lineup as they’ve had in years and years. Sure, if someone gets hurt they could be screwed which is exactly the same thing they’re saying in Cleveland and Boston. But if one of the starters goes down, I still think the other four can carry the load at least a little bit.

Look, everything’s a gamble.

This one just makes senses and, to me, was worth it. I like those pros far more than I’m worried about those cons.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Supercollider
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Re: What the local media say about Hedo: July 4 edition 

Post#2 » by Supercollider » Sat Jul 4, 2009 12:37 pm

Thanks dagger.

I'm curious to know what Hollinger had to say - I'm not an insider so was only able to read the preamble. Anyone care to provide a summary?
supersub15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#3 » by supersub15 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 12:40 pm

From Hollinger:
As for Toronto, Turkoglu doesn't remedy the team's glaring lack of athleticism, but it does give the team a sorely needed offensive initiator on the wings. The Raptors needed to make some aggressive moves to try to keep Chris Bosh from leaving next summer, and Turkoglu will combine with Bosh, Jose Calderon and Andrea Bargnani to give Toronto one of the league's best-shooting teams.

However, those four may not have any decent teammates, because it looks like Toronto will have to gut much of the roster to create the cap space for Turkoglu. Toronto is reportedly offering a five-year, $52 million deal for Turkoglu, which means they might have to renounce the rights to Shawn Marion, Carlos Delfino, Anthony Parker and Joey Graham (as well as Quincy Douby, Jake Voskuhl and Pops Mensah-Bonsu) and round out the roster with minimum-salary players. Turkoglu and 19-year-old rookie DeMar DeRozan would be the only wings on the roster.

Seen in that light this looks like a terrible move. Toronto could have re-signed Marion, Parker and Delfino and then used its midlevel exception to add Kleiza and possibly another player, making the Raptors a much deeper and well-balanced player. Instead they've possibly left themselves extremely thin nearly everywhere, just for the privilege of overpaying a 30-year-old non-star for the next half-decade.
Legal Non-Conforming
Sixth Man
And1: 388

Post#4 » by Legal Non-Conforming » Sat Jul 4, 2009 12:41 pm

No matter what, this is a big moment in Toronto sporting history. This is a big free-agent signing and should put to rest all that garbage about Toronto being an undesirable NBA destination.
“The North Remembers"
RUN-TMR
Junior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by RUN-TMR » Sat Jul 4, 2009 12:48 pm

if there is some way to get another decent guy - a kleiza for example -- this is a good move. if not, the toronto star guy is right in that the move is too risky. you gotta have a man 7 man roster to compete...
Supercollider
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#6 » by Supercollider » Sat Jul 4, 2009 12:51 pm

Legal Non-Conforming wrote:No matter what, this is a big moment in Toronto sporting history. This is a big free-agent signing and should put to rest all that garbage about Toronto being an undesirable NBA destination.

Yes and no. We haven't had much trouble attracting non-American players.
STEELE_34
Banned User

Post#7 » by STEELE_34 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:05 pm

BC would rather give this money to turk instead of marion.

this is laughable.

:lol:
pspot
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#8 » by pspot » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:08 pm

STEELE_34 wrote:BC would rather give this money to turk instead of marion.

this is laughable.

BC would rather give the same amount of money to Turk, which most people would

Marion screwed that up, he had the best deal he was ever going to get on the table and he got greedy. He'll never make that money again in his career.

I was looking forward to Kleiza and at 24 thought he'd be a great chip to add and almost like a younger Turk at a fraction of the cost
nm
BigShotBob13
Starter
And1: 297

Post#9 » by BigShotBob13 » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:17 pm

Thanks dagger.

I really hope the portends of doom from Hollinger aren't true. The thing is, I agree with what he says. If the difference was simply Marion and his agent being a prick and this reality, I would really be pissed. Marion had the best deal he could get and since that fell through, BC had to make up for it and go for the fences. We will be paper thin if we have minimum salary guys rounding out our roster. Despite the hate for Delfino he would be a great bench guy, adding in Rasho and Kleiza and a PG our team would have been much better off. Now we don't have any chance of adding anyone of that quality to this team.
Formerly...Damn, I forgot who I was...
Legal Non-Conforming
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by Legal Non-Conforming » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:18 pm

Supercollider wrote:
Legal Non-Conforming wrote:No matter what, this is a big moment in Toronto sporting history. This is a big free-agent signing and should put to rest all that garbage about Toronto being an undesirable NBA destination.

And organizations like Memphis have had trouble attracting both.
“The North Remembers"
Legal Non-Conforming
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by Legal Non-Conforming » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:23 pm

Supercollider wrote:

This is still the biggest FA signing in Raptors history. If half the locker room is full of players who think that this is the best city in the NBA to play in, you don't think it's going to create a positive vibe for players like DeRozan and Bosh? Don't underestimate what just happened here.
“The North Remembers"
postup
Sixth Man
And1: 267

Post#12 » by postup » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:38 pm

STEELE_34 wrote:BC would rather give this money to turk instead of marion.

this is laughable.

I'd much rather spend the money on Turk than on Marion. Are they overpaying? Sure, but I think the Raptors will always have to overpay. I do believe Hedo will age better than Marion. Marion's skill set is completely dependent on his athleticism, which is already deteriorating and will only get worse with age.

The best I was hoping for from Marion was a S&T. I always felt his best numbers last season were put up when it didn't matter. It seemed pretty obvious that he wanted no part of the Raptors.

He got greedy and now's hes' getting burnt for it. Reminds me a lot of his Phoenix stunt. I think he's a cancer. I'd love to hear the conversation between Marion and his agent once the Hedo turn-around came out! Priceless...

Thanks to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
postup
Sixth Man
And1: 267

Post#13 » by postup » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:40 pm

Legal Non-Conforming wrote:
Supercollider wrote:

This is still the biggest FA signing in Raptors history. If half the locker room is full of players who think that this is the best city in the NBA to play in, you don't think it's going to create a positive vibe for players like DeRozan and Bosh? Don't underestimate what just happened here.

+1

And you're bringing in a guy who just played in the Finals. With that comes clout. People will listen to him.

Thanks to Turbo_Zone for the sig.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#14 » by timdunkit » Sat Jul 4, 2009 1:43 pm

Swing for the fences baby ... I like this move. Now we just have to see what we can get through trades and if we can find some steals ...
dagger
RealGM
And1: 13,498

Post#15 » by dagger » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:00 pm

The critical point is that we are creating an environment of players that want to be in Toronto. (Well, I think Bosh doesn't exclude the possibility and likes the city now.)

I'd hate to acquire a player in a trade and find out that he really, really hates being so far from wherever he wants to be. I remember how Baron Davis never wanted to be in the East, and even when he was in New Orleans and the team offered him a max extension, he left it on the table for weeks trying to persuade them to trade him to one of the California teams. He's an LA boy through and through.
2019 will never be forgotten because FLAGS FLY FOREVER
Rhettmatic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 14,547

Post#16 » by Rhettmatic » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:00 pm

supersub15 wrote:From Hollinger:
As for Toronto, Turkoglu doesn't remedy the team's glaring lack of athleticism, but it does give the team a sorely needed offensive initiator on the wings. The Raptors needed to make some aggressive moves to try to keep Chris Bosh from leaving next summer, and Turkoglu will combine with Bosh, Jose Calderon and Andrea Bargnani to give Toronto one of the league's best-shooting teams.

However, those four may not have any decent teammates, because it looks like Toronto will have to gut much of the roster to create the cap space for Turkoglu. Toronto is reportedly offering a five-year, $52 million deal for Turkoglu, which means they might have to renounce the rights to Shawn Marion, Carlos Delfino, Anthony Parker and Joey Graham (as well as Quincy Douby, Jake Voskuhl and Pops Mensah-Bonsu) and round out the roster with minimum-salary players. Turkoglu and 19-year-old rookie DeMar DeRozan would be the only wings on the roster.

Seen in that light this looks like a terrible move. Toronto could have re-signed Marion, Parker and Delfino and then used its midlevel exception to add Kleiza and possibly another player, making the Raptors a much deeper and well-balanced player. Instead they've possibly left themselves extremely thin nearly everywhere, just for the privilege of overpaying a 30-year-old non-star for the next half-decade.

You missed the last part of what Hollinger wrote SS:

I say "possibly" because there are some ways out of this scenario. For starters, if the cap number came in higher than expected on July 8 and the Raptors worked Turkoglu's deal as a sign-and-trade with Orlando (generating a huge trade exception and, say, the rights to Greek big man Georgios Printezis for the Magic), they might also be able to re-sign restricted free agent Carlos Delfino.

And if they could do it as a sign-and-trade involving Marion or Parker, it opens up more avenues for the Magic to retain some talent. It's not clear that Orlando would have a use for Marion, or if the tax-paying Magic would be willing to take on any salary at all.

But it's possible they would have some use for a player like Parker in particular, who would fill Courtney Lee's role as a defensive ace and knock-down shooter. If not, involving a third team might be able to get them a player they covet more. Over the next several days, I'm sure both Toronto and Orlando will be looking hard at these possibilities -- and that Marion's agent, Dan Fegan, will be looking even harder.

That is one of the great unknowns heading toward July 8, and until we learn more about the final terms it's tough to totally evaluate how this move works out for the Raptors.
Sig by the one and only Turbo_Zone.
killerbs
Analyst
And1: 46

Post#17 » by killerbs » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:03 pm

i say that i like the move now we need to try to sign and trade parker and delfino instead of letting them go
bloodtoavampire
Banned User

Post#18 » by bloodtoavampire » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:17 pm

Thank GOD!

I am sooooo happy!

I think this is going to work out well for us. I really do!

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Man is it just me or do we have a high scoring and tall front 3 in our starting lineup??
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#19 » by J-Roc » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:24 pm

I guess we all need to pray the next few days BC can come up with something creative.
Indiana Jones
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,548
Location: Assistant Dean of Students, Marshall College, Bedford, Connecticut

Post#20 » by Indiana Jones » Sat Jul 4, 2009 2:36 pm

regarding toronto as a desirable destination, keep in mind that hedo is not american. we have yet to lure a top tier american free agent.

also keep in mind that we're overpaying for a guy and giving him a way-too-long contract. he'll be 35 when this deal's up. at least he'll be a tradeable asset in his final year!

Return to Toronto Raptors