ImageImageImageImageImage

What the local media say about Hedo: July 4 edition

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Oops
Junior
And1: 0

Re: What the local media say about Hedo: July 4 edition 

Post#61 » by Oops » Sun Jul 5, 2009 3:22 am

basketball royalty wrote:
dagger wrote:[Marion is a player who excels in the running game, I don't believe he is declining and he proved as much to end the season here. Turk IMO is also just a system player, he did nothing special in his career until SVG came along. He was given the keys to the car and did well but we don't have the same lineup and defensive/rebounding juggernaut manning the paint.

Even if Marion absolutely refused to return we needed to get a S&T worked out to get something back for him and to still have the ability to bring back our choice of Delfino, Joey, Pops, AP, MLE and LLE. That team would have far more talent, depth, defense, rebounding than what it looks like we will end up with. If Marion had stayed it would have been even better.

Either way, it is a mistake unless BC walks on water in assembling the rest of the team.
[/quote]

BR, I've been with you 100% on this Hedo signing, but let's face it; marion never liked to play here and it wouldn't have surprised me if he forced us to a trade once we overpay him. Tho I find this gamble very risky, there are moves one makes in life that dont allow for turning back. This could be a turning point in franchise history that will force MLSE to go into luxury taxes in a near future.

Also, what Euro player lack in athleticism, they often make up in BB IQ and discipline. So i wouldnt be surprise to see our team overachive defensively, provided that Ivaroni puts a good team-defense system in place.

If we can lure Dahntay Jones with the minimum and a promise to start, if we can sign both POP and Rasho to the minimum and find a way to turn Hump into Belinelli, this team will be top 3 in the east.

This trade makes me very nervous but i usually like risk-takers and the pay out could be huge. Let's just sit back and hope.
Lord Eder
General Manager
And1: 16,625

Post#62 » by Lord Eder » Sun Jul 5, 2009 3:32 am

This kind of reminds me of when the Raptors traded for Marion. People were complaining and complaining that we didn't have any athletes. Then when they traded for Marion some people said it wasn't good enough because Marion can't create on the wing. Now we bring in a guy who is instantly the best creator on the wing and people are complaining that we need athleticism.

People are complainging about rebounding. But remember, we traded for Reggie Evans a few weeks back. Dude pretty much offsets the loss of Marion on the glass and in far less minutes.

I think if they somehow managed a trade of Marion, Kapono and Parker for Turkoglu, Evans and a young athletic player like Dorell Wright last season people would've been all over that.

Colangelo's just gotta focus on acquiring some solid back court depth and I think we'll be taking steps in the right direction.
"Jerome Moiso with 2 rebounds and a steal.... Put him in the hall of fame!"
- Chuck Swirsky
rise of raptors
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#63 » by rise of raptors » Sun Jul 5, 2009 4:11 am

stro wrote:This kind of reminds me of when the Raptors traded for Marion. People were complaining and complaining that we didn't have any athletes. Then when they traded for Marion some people said it wasn't good enough because Marion can't create on the wing. Now we bring in a guy who is instantly the best creator on the wing and people are complaining that we need athleticism.

People are complainging about rebounding. But remember, we traded for Reggie Evans a few weeks back. Dude pretty much offsets the loss of Marion on the glass and in far less minutes.

I think if they somehow managed a trade of Marion, Kapono and Parker for Turkoglu, Evans and a young athletic player like Dorell Wright last season people would've been all over that.

Colangelo's just gotta focus on acquiring some solid back court depth and I think we'll be taking steps in the right direction.

Excellent point. People will point to a hole in the team and keep hammering at it. Bottom line is that no roster is perfect. Ever since VC left town we've been wanting a wing that can create his own shot. And we've been talking about a slasher that will get to the rim. Now we HAVE both of them in Turk and DeRozan.

Bryan Colangelo swung for the fences twice this offseason already with drafting DeRozan (high risk/high reward) and signing Turk (most coveted FA on the market). You gotta at least give the man props for being a risk taker - no guts, no glory. And he made a no brainer move in swapping little use Kapono for Reggie Evans.

How BC & co. solves the depth issue will determine how successful of an offseason the Raps have.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,759

Post#64 » by Basketball_Jones » Sun Jul 5, 2009 8:18 am

tylrrr wrote:I think Marion fits better than Hedo in Portland. Hedo brings nothing to Portland they don't already have. Roy does everything Hedo does better and more efficiently.

Disagree. Portland is one of the slowest paced teams in the league. That's a recipe for disaster with Shawn.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#65 » by corwin » Sun Jul 5, 2009 11:42 am

rise of raptors wrote:Bryan Colangelo swung for the fences twice this offseason already with drafting DeRozan (high risk/high reward) and signing Turk (most coveted FA on the market). You gotta at least give the man props for being a risk taker - no guts, no glory. And he made a no brainer move in swapping little use Kapono for Reggie Evans.

How BC & co. solves the depth issue will determine how successful of an offseason the Raps have.

Philly fan here. Toronto would not have been able to sign Turkoglu if the Kapono/Evans trade wasn't made. Evans makes 1.3 million less in salary & that may have been the difference in making your offer better than Portland's. You have to give the GM credit for that one. In any case, Evans will play hard & get your other players to hustle. He could very well be the leader of the second unit once it is put together.
basketball royalty
RealGM
And1: 2,963

Post#66 » by basketball royalty » Sun Jul 5, 2009 12:18 pm

rise of raptors wrote:
stro wrote:This kind of reminds me of when the Raptors traded for Marion. People were complaining and complaining that we didn't have any athletes. Then when they traded for Marion some people said it wasn't good enough because Marion can't create on the wing. Now we bring in a guy who is instantly the best creator on the wing and people are complaining that we need athleticism.

Excellent point. People will point to a hole in the team and keep hammering at it. Bottom line is that no roster is perfect. Ever since VC left town we've been wanting a wing that can create his own shot. And we've been talking about a slasher that will get to the rim. Now we HAVE both of them in Turk and DeRozan.

Bryan Colangelo swung for the fences twice this offseason already with drafting DeRozan (high risk/high reward) and signing Turk (most coveted FA on the market). You gotta at least give the man props for being a risk taker - no guts, no glory. And he made a no brainer move in swapping little use Kapono for Reggie Evans.

Sure its easy to swing for the fences and have the no guts no glory attitude when there are no consequences and you are not called out when you f up. He tried this last year with the JO signing and I didn't like but he got himself out of it and things were looking better. Now he does essentially the same thing (unless he has something up his sleeve), if it backfires this time it will have far more devastating repercussions and while I always have defended him, he should be canned. Honeymoon is over, if he is going to try these stunts they had better work or if I am in charge I am giving frikin DR.J a call because he'd probably do as good a job or better.

Basically it comes down to the bolded part. What he does after this is what keeps him at his post or gets him fired. Although I don't think he will be fired regardless, but he won't have my support.
props to Turbozone for the sig

Return to Toronto Raptors