ImageImageImageImageImage

Prime Time Sports Raptor Round table

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Sifu
Veteran
And1: 1,005

Re: Prime Time Sports Raptor Round table 

Post#21 » by Sifu » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:42 am

rapluva wrote:How does this guy have a sports show... he doesn't know anything about Bosh's game, he doesn't know much about the team, but yet has a lot of bad things to say...
What i agree with is..the raps are not a run and gun team...

McCown is a clown... when it comes to basketball, but at other times he is quite insightful. Don't judge his overall talent by what he says about basketball, judge it by his entire body of work. He asks good questions, makes you think and doesn't throw a softball interview. Plus, he's one of the very few out there that can consistently get high quality guests to phone in or sit down in the studio. If you listen to other sports shows out there, he's light years ahead of most of them. The only other guy on the Fan that comes close is probably Wilner.
Canucklehead
Veteran
And1: 23

Post#22 » by Canucklehead » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:48 am

Something about his I'm hung over from last night every night + his overall demeanor & negativity I find annoying

http://www.newstalk980.com/files/imagec ... McCown.jpg
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,540

Post#23 » by DG88 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:51 am

rapluva wrote:How does this guy have a sports show... he doesn't know anything about Bosh's game, he doesn't know much about the team, but yet has a lot of bad things to say...
What i agree with is..the raps are not a run and gun team...

People get this mixed up a lot. Just because you want to play up tempo doesn't mean that it's a run an gun offense where we shoot 7 seconds into the shot clock. We're play and up tempo when we get opportunities from our defense to get easy baskets. In the run and gun they just chuck baskets every time. People need to get their facts straight.
ToffKobe
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#24 » by ToffKobe » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:53 am

I seventh the initial notion!
GamePoint
Starter
And1: 109

Post#25 » by GamePoint » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:54 am

rapsrealm wrote:McCowan doesn't know crap about basketball

8th :D
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#26 » by Death Knight » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:04 am

I have no idea why McCown keeps thinking that Turkoglu is similar to Bosh and Bargnani. Just because they are bigs that can shoot doesn't mean they're the same players. Turkoglu has the ability to be a point-foward, that ALONE is a huge difference between him and the other 2.
bane_dd
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#27 » by bane_dd » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:05 am

So much hate for McCown. Bob is funny and he always looks at it as glass half full. Of course, he is blessed with only cursory familiarity with the league so don't expect expert analysis from the guy. Take him with a grain of salt and enjoy his show. He is the best radio show host in Toronto and he is usually wildly entertaining to listen to. That doesn't mean his opinions hold water, though.
deuce18
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#28 » by deuce18 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:08 am

GamePoint wrote:

you guys obviously know nothing about the mans history.

You are all uneducated clowns.

The guy has likely forgot more about basketball than 3/4 of the people in here would ever know.
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#29 » by Gold Chain » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:11 am

deuce18 wrote:
GamePoint wrote:

The guy has likely forgot more about basketball than 3/4 of the people in here would ever know.

They mean lately.

No one here cares about how much Bob knows about bball history, we care about his current knowledge and it is low. He would rather talk of CFL and all his cronies in that 8 team league. I am sorry, his producers do an amazing job getting guests, but his bball knowledge lacks like anyone else in a higher media position in the GTA.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,497
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#30 » by SharoneWright » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:12 am

He absolutely does. He's just not impressed by hype.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,540

Post#31 » by DG88 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:14 am

deuce18 wrote:
GamePoint wrote:

Are you contradicting yourself you pretty much said that that McCowen has forgotten 3/4 about basketball than everyone on this board that doesn't make any sense :lol:
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#32 » by SharoneWright » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:15 am

deuce18 wrote:
GamePoint wrote:

+1.

Dude knows the game. In fact, probably his strongest area of knowledge. (or baseball)
Canucklehead
Veteran

Post#33 » by Canucklehead » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:17 am

deuce18 wrote:
GamePoint wrote:

Great so once upon a time his basketball knowledge was actually relevant. That means he's the all knowing? Hey Fire BC and hire Bob we'll challenge the Lakers or Spurs in the finals for sure :lol:
jaymeister15
RealGM
And1: 1,072

Post#34 » by jaymeister15 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:20 am

DG88 wrote:Are you contradicting yourself you pretty much said that that McCowen has forgotten 3/4 about basketball than everyone on this board that doesn't make any sense :lol:

sigh, is a little basic reading comprehension too much to ask?
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#35 » by SharoneWright » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:22 am

jaymeister15 wrote:
DG88 wrote:Are you contradicting yourself you pretty much said that that McCowen has forgotten 3/4 about basketball than everyone on this board that doesn't make any sense :lol:

LOL. Its just gonna take that guy a couple tries at it....
bane_dd
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#36 » by bane_dd » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:29 am

SharoneWright wrote:Dude knows the game. In fact, probably his strongest area of knowledge. (or baseball)

Um, no he actually doesn't "know the game". His arrogance makes it sound like he does but he is not really intricately familiar with the nuances of the game. He was on record saying that Bargnani is a bust and should be traded as recently as midpoint last season. And I am a huge fan of his show as he is really entertaining to listen to. But he doesn't "know the game".

Eric Smith, Paul Jones and Jack Armstrong are really the only people on that station qualified to discuss basketball. When I hear Norm Rumack and Rojer Lajoie talk ball I vomit a little in my mouth every time. Ditto Stellick and Landry. Toth is horrible and so is Hogan. At least they rarely talk about basketball.
Canucklehead
Veteran

Post#37 » by Canucklehead » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:31 am

SharoneWright wrote:
jaymeister15 wrote:

LOL. Its just gonna take that guy a couple tries at it....

How come it feels like we're having a conversation with his Mother and Grandmother
biblast
RealGM
And1: 4,799

Post#38 » by biblast » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:33 am

bane_dd wrote:So much hate for McCown. Bob is funny and he always looks at it as glass half full. Of course, he is blessed with only cursory familiarity with the league so don't expect expert analysis from the guy. Take him with a grain of salt and enjoy his show. He is the best radio show host in Toronto and he is usually wildly entertaining to listen to. That doesn't mean his opinions hold water, though.

+1

Hate him or like him, he speaks his mind ! Indeed he always looks at it as glass 1/2 full but the guy knows a lot about sport... granted basketball & soccer aren't his specialty !
Nonetheless he raises a lot of interesting questions and he has tremendous experience as a sport radio show host.
Avenger
Banned User
And1: 624

Post#39 » by Avenger » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:34 am

How on earth can anyone say "McCowan knows basketball" if you listen to him for more than a couple of minutes? I think Doug Smith has a better understanding of basketball than that clown
SharoneWright
RealGM

Post#40 » by SharoneWright » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:42 am

bane_dd wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:Dude knows the game. In fact, probably his strongest area of knowledge. (or baseball)

Um, no he actually doesn't "know the game". His arrogance makes it sound like he does but he is not really intricately familiar with the nuances of the game. He was on record saying that Bargnani is a bust and should be traded as recently as midpoint last season. And I am a huge fan of his show as he is really entertaining to listen to. But he doesn't "know the game".

Eric Smith, Paul Jones and Jack Armstrong are really the only people on that station qualified to discuss basketball. When I hear Norm Rumack and Rojer Lajoie talk ball I vomit a little in my mouth every time. Ditto Stellick and Landry. Toth is horrible and so is Hogan. At least they rarely talk about basketball.

Yer wrong.

Paul Jones is beholden to MLSE and is a parrot of the company line pure and simple.

ESmith is basically a groupie - mentally nimble I'll grant you, but never says anything original.

This doesn't mean I don't sometimes disagree with Bob, but he buries those 2 guys you mentioned in terms of knowledge/context/experience/independence.

Listen to "Jonesy" though if it makes you happy....

Return to Toronto Raptors