ImageImageImageImageImage

OT Article: Who wants Jamario Moon?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

cdel00
Head Coach
And1: 423

Re: OT Article: Who wants Jamario Moon? 

Post#21 » by cdel00 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:46 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:
jay632 wrote:chuck too many bad shots, he couldn't shoot 3's yet he kept on shooting 3's, combine him with kapono, and you know why we lost games.

He shot about .350 from deep, which is around guys like Flip Murray, Pietrus, Jarret Jack, Dirk. That's respectable.

Really I thought we lost games because injured Jose played like the Stay-Puft man
SilentRAM
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#22 » by SilentRAM » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:41 pm

killerbs wrote:Q: Who wants him?

A: Not me.

DING!DING!DING! We have have a winner!!! Good answer!
"How the hell am I supposed to make my teammates better by practicing?" - Allen Iverson
lucky777s
Lead Assistant
And1: 686

Post#23 » by lucky777s » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:45 pm

Moon shot the ball pretty well as a Raptor. But there were always better shooters on the floor with him. That makes the shots 'bad' and is in fact why he is left open to begin with.

Biting on pump fakes DOES hurt the team because that means other guys have to constantly help out on Moon's man and our D rotations were not exactly solid behind him. That can cause fouls to accumulate on your better players like Bargs, Bosh, JO at the time. How many jump shots on the perimeter did Moon block? Not many. Compared to how many pump fakes he bit on and let his man waltz into the lane? Tons.

It was the guys contract year and you could not get him to rebound or attack the paint. He could have made a lifetime worth of money this summer just by sticking to good solid defense, rebounding, and finishing with some power in traffic. Instead he was soft, lacked passion and intensity, and wasted the chance of a lifetime with so many starting opportunities. Just dumb.
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,214

Post#24 » by LLJ » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:46 pm

Honestly, his best trait--rebounding--took a severe dip in his second full year. When he's not rebounding at a 5-6 rpg clip he's virtually useless.
chsh22
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#25 » by chsh22 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:52 pm

I wouldn't mind picking up Jamario again for a 2 year deal at around LLE money.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:If you were going to give the raps board an enema, you'd stick the tube in this thread.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#26 » by Undefeated » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:02 pm

Just play within himself and he’ll easily find teams that need a sparkplug off the bench. And he seems to play within himself when someone is dictating him + the offense a la Dwyane Wade.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,953

Post#27 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:16 pm

Moon shot the ball pretty well as a Raptor. But there were always better shooters on the floor with him. That makes the shots 'bad' and is in fact why he is left open to begin with.

He didn't shoot that many 3's compared to other shooters with similar %'s. Just because there are better shooters on the floor, doesn't mean that an above average 3 point shooter shouldn't take the open look.

Biting on pump fakes DOES hurt the team because that means other guys have to constantly help out on Moon's man and our D rotations were not exactly solid behind him. That can cause fouls to accumulate on your better players like Bargs, Bosh, JO at the time. How many jump shots on the perimeter did Moon block? Not many. Compared to how many pump fakes he bit on and let his man waltz into the lane? Tons.

Jumping out at a guy doesn't necessarily mean you're attempting to block his shot, just contest it. His defensive #'s overall were pretty good, so perhaps you the debate needs to be, "how many misses did he cause by contesting shots v. how many times did his pump-fake bite cost the team." But, honestly, all new players bite on pump fakes. It's annoying to watch because it shows a lack of discipline, but it's not unique to Jamario Moon.

It was the guys contract year and you could not get him to rebound or attack the paint. He could have made a lifetime worth of money this summer just by sticking to good solid defense, rebounding, and finishing with some power in traffic. Instead he was soft, lacked passion and intensity, and wasted the chance of a lifetime with so many starting opportunities. Just dumb.

I agree with most of this, although I think some of it had to do with the problems in the composition of the team and Moon's own lack of dribbling ability. I don't think he'll be back because Bosh called him out last year and then he was basically thrown away, but I think this team will lack a lot of the things he can provide.
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#28 » by everdiso » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:20 pm

tylrrr wrote:It's more than a little disheartening to see you guys say he fell off after his first year because when he started out he played with 'intensity' or 'attacked the rim'.

What Jamario Moon were you watching? The guy rarely attacked the rim in his first year. It got worse in his second year. Where he fell off was defensively and on the glass. He became complacent, fast. But this talk of him being some sort of slasher in his rookie season is pretty off-base (and borderline delusional).

yup.

there was no real change from one year to the next.

the first year he was a nice surprise, that's all. his second year we just realized that him being anymore than an 8th or 9th guy in the rotation was a very bad idea.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
Lib84
Senior
And1: 0

Post#29 » by Lib84 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:28 pm

Moon was just another border line scrub that Toronto fans thought was the diamond in the rough this city loves to find (see: Moiso, Sow, N'Daye, Voshon Lenard, Mike James, and now Pops).
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#30 » by everdiso » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:30 pm

I actually liked last year's squad to start the year on paper....until I noticed that we had Jamario fricken Moon in our starting lineup.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
skyechappell
Senior
And1: 3

Post#31 » by skyechappell » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:33 pm

id rather darius miles... he can play pf sometimes, sf, sg....i liked the way he looked last year...
Kc17
Lead Assistant
And1: 36

Post#32 » by Kc17 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:59 pm

Prelude420 wrote:+ 1 million ...this guy is an athlete that can ball and doesnt cost alot iether which is even more sad...Miami is smart for bringing him over because Toronto was stupid and didnt kno how to use him....when he gets on court wit d wade, those 2 average about 2-3 alley oops a game...jose was so scared to throw those up or he didnt kno Moon has the ability to fly...cuz this man can levitate......i wud love moon back comin off the bench, but hes a better fit in miami, plus he can show toronto wut they missed out on...but sall good cuz we have DD now :D

You do know Moon averaged pretty much worse stats in more minutes with Miami? Right.
Basketball_Jones
RealGM
And1: 16,759

Post#33 » by Basketball_Jones » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:00 pm

MrBojangelz71 wrote:
tylrrr wrote:It's more than a little disheartening to see you guys say he fell off after his first year because when he started out he played with 'intensity' or 'attacked the rim'.

What Jamario Moon were you watching? The guy rarely attacked the rim in his first year. It got worse in his second year. Where he fell off was defensively and on the glass. He became complacent, fast. But this talk of him being some sort of slasher in his rookie season is pretty off-base (and borderline delusional).

Never said he was a slasher. In his 1st season Moon had some monster and highlight dunks. Most of the time it was an open lane to the basket, but he did get to the rim. There were numerous highlight of the night dunks and alley oops made by him in his 1st season so I don't think I'm delussional in that analysis. His invite to the dunk contest can atest to the fact he did kill the rim on more than one occasion. Here is proof that I aint delusional as alll these killer dunks were from his rookie season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UatBtBqrqxI

Last season I can't recall one crazy dunk or highlight made by him. I can't even recall him killing any dunks period, so there was a definite regression from 1 year to the next.

Heh, alot of those passes were from Jose. I honestly don't get the conception that Jose doesn't throw alley oop passes. He does, it's just our team is vertically challenged and camps around the three point line.
2019 Eastern Conference All Stars

Derozan
Lowry
Ibaka
Valanciunas
Van Vleet
Delon Wright
Lebron
Embiid

There are only 2 teams in the league that rank in the top 6 in offensive and defensive efficiency: the Golden State Warriors and the Toronto Raptors.

Return to Toronto Raptors