ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Doug Smith vs NY Post

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Coach Smiley
Assistant Coach
And1: 980

Re: OT: Doug Smith vs NY Post 

Post#21 » by Coach Smiley » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:22 pm

yeah they are still tops in terms of profitability give them credit but basketball-wise nobody is knocking down doors to get there. Isiah Thomas really f'd things up I place most of the blame on him, then the media then the fickle fans
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#22 » by timdunkit » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:33 pm

Anyone have a link to the orginal Doug Smith article?
theSkinny
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,277

Post#23 » by theSkinny » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:35 pm

Dolan gets more blame than Zeke if you ask me.

He not only kept him on when the ship was sinking, he gave him another contract.
All of Zekes moves and signings had to get some sort of approval from JD and he NEVER said no.

If Zeke had been tossed from NY three years earlier, their team would maybe look like they are in a position of relevance. Now in 2010 when they have tons of space to throw at, Amare'e? teams are keeping their top FA's and NY will be the Grizz of this offseason, trying to navigate favours and overpaying some lowly 3rd or 4th tier player with a massive contract because market value will be so high with all the available money out there.
MarcusFenix
Junior
And1: 7

Post#24 » by MarcusFenix » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:56 pm

timdunkit wrote:Anyone have a link to the orginal Doug Smith article?

July 23, 2009 Doug Smith Blog This was about Bosh laughing the idea of joining Knicks:

"All right, it’s now officially official:

Summer, or what passes for summer around these parts, has gone on too long and people are simply starved for basketball news. Basketball nonsense might be a better way to put it.

Check out what passed as “big news” yesterday according to handful of e-mails I got from readers.

I have no idea if anyone down there reads this but let me just say: The New York Knicks are so entirely irrelevant to the entire NBA at the moment, it’s hilarious. The team sucks, all these grandiose plans for signing this guy (LeBron) and that guy (Bosh) are falling apart amid a worsening economy and they seem doomed to be irrelevant for a few more years."
elitehunter99
Veteran
And1: 9

Post#25 » by elitehunter99 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:57 pm

its true, Knicks ARE irrelevant, they don't have one, count it ONE player who you can say has franchise player potential........ just like the Bucks who are definitely irrelevant.

Even the worst teams in the league have one such potential franchise player, until the Knicks have that they will remain irrelevant....

We have Bosh, OKC has Durant, Clippers now have Griffin, Minnesota has Jefferson/Rubio, Memphis has Mayo/Thabeet, Kings have Evans/Martin, Warriors have Randolph, Nets have Lopez........

Who do the Knicks have, WHO???????????? Gallinari/Chandler/Hill/Robinson are all at best 2nd tier supporting cast...
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#26 » by timdunkit » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:01 pm

MarcusFenix wrote:
timdunkit wrote:Anyone have a link to the orginal Doug Smith article?

July 23, 2009 Doug Smith Blog This was about Bosh laughing the idea of joining Knicks:

"All right, it’s now officially official:

Summer, or what passes for summer around these parts, has gone on too long and people are simply starved for basketball news. Basketball nonsense might be a better way to put it.

Check out what passed as “big news” yesterday according to handful of e-mails I got from readers.

I have no idea if anyone down there reads this but let me just say: The New York Knicks are so entirely irrelevant to the entire NBA at the moment, it’s hilarious. The team sucks, all these grandiose plans for signing this guy (LeBron) and that guy (Bosh) are falling apart amid a worsening economy and they seem doomed to be irrelevant for a few more years."

Thanks for the link :)
barrist
RealGM
And1: 716

Post#27 » by barrist » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:01 pm

timdunkit wrote:Is this the only time Doug gets support from the Raptors realgm board? .... :o

When it's Doug Smith vs. the frickin New York Post.. yeah.
MarcusFenix
Junior
And1: 7

Post#28 » by MarcusFenix » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:09 pm

elitehunter99 wrote:its true, Knicks ARE irrelevant, they don't have one, count it ONE player who you can say has franchise player potential........ just like the Bucks who are definitely irrelevant.

Even the worst teams in the league have one such potential franchise player, until the Knicks have that they will remain irrelevant....

We have Bosh, OKC has Durant, Clippers now have Griffin, Minnesota has Jefferson/Rubio, Memphis has Mayo/Thabeet, Kings have Evans/Martin, Warriors have Randolph, Nets have Lopez........

Who do the Knicks have, WHO???????????? Gallinari/Chandler/Hill/Robinson are all at best 2nd tier supporting cast...

Gallinari says otherwise. He's the Knicks weapon to wooing LBJ. :-D
power works
Sixth Man
And1: 241

Post#29 » by power works » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:13 pm

When I first read that blog by D. Smith I thought he was only stating the obvious....funny, but I was a bit surprised at how......uhhhmmmm....bluntly he put it.

Now, it easily could have been glossed over by many as just another no-name blogger, but in this case it wasn't.

It came from a reporter employed by the largest daily newspaper in Canada.

That's just gold material for some sports tabloid in the offseason. :lol:
appel
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#30 » by appel » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:02 pm

elitehunter99 wrote:its true, Knicks ARE irrelevant, they don't have one, count it ONE player who you can say has franchise player potential........ just like the Bucks who are definitely irrelevant.

You forgot Eddy Curry
He will be the next MVE (Most Valuable Eater)
Morena R
Analyst
And1: 1
Location: Born in Santo Dominigo,Dominican Rep, But I Go To School In Toronto

Post#31 » by Morena R » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:50 pm

killerbs wrote:atta boy you finally got real gm's support!

:lol: Sad but true.
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,975

Post#32 » by MEDIC » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:33 pm

The Knicks are basketball's version of the Leafs.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
dillio
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,069

Post#33 » by dillio » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:03 pm

appel wrote:

And while I would gladly accept such a comment from a Lakers, Celtics or even a Jazz beat writer, it's a bit much for the Raptors' guy to get on his high horse to rip the Knicks. The Raptors (33-49) were one whole game better than the Knicks (32-50) last season.

This stupid boy doesn't have memory
In the last 8 (EIGHT !!!!) year Knicks are 250-406, Raptors 280-376

In the last 8 (EIGHT !!!!) year Knicks have played only 1 PO's round (0-4, naturally), Raptors 3 (5-11)

I agree with Doug when he says "at the moment"
I disagree with the word "irrilevants", at the moment Knicks are disgusting
From 8 years

Over the last 7 (SEVEN!!!11) years, our record is 238-336 (.414) with 2 1st round playoff losses and 5 trips to the lottery. The Knicks record is 220-354 (.383) with 1 1st round playoff loss in that time (6 trips to lottery). Both franchises have been absolute crap recently, and if it wasn't for our one 47 win season in a down year in the eastern conference, we'd be just as bad as the Knicks.

It's really stupid of you to take offense to anything the NY Post writer said. If you want to include our playoff years earlier this decade, why don't you include the fact that the Knicks made the playoffs 14 years in a row up to and including 2000-2001?
cage
Starter
And1: 11

Post#34 » by cage » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:30 pm

the bucks do have jennings who, at least imo, has star potential
appel
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#35 » by appel » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:18 pm

dillio wrote:
appel wrote:

And while I would gladly accept such a comment from a Lakers, Celtics or even a Jazz beat writer, it's a bit much for the Raptors' guy to get on his high horse to rip the Knicks. The Raptors (33-49) were one whole game better than the Knicks (32-50) last season.

This stupid boy doesn't have memory
In the last 8 (EIGHT !!!!) year Knicks are 250-406, Raptors 280-376

In the last 8 (EIGHT !!!!) year Knicks have played only 1 PO's round (0-4, naturally), Raptors 3 (5-11)

I agree with Doug when he says "at the moment"
I disagree with the word "irrilevants", at the moment Knicks are disgusting
From 8 years

Over the last 7 (SEVEN!!!11) years, our record is 238-336 (.414) with 2 1st round playoff losses and 5 trips to the lottery. The Knicks record is 220-354 (.383) with 1 1st round playoff loss in that time (6 trips to lottery). Both franchises have been absolute crap recently, and if it wasn't for our one 47 win season in a down year in the eastern conference, we'd be just as bad as the Knicks.

It's really stupid of you to take offense to anything the NY Post writer said. If you want to include our playoff years earlier this decade, why don't you include the fact that the Knicks made the playoffs 14 years in a row up to and including 2000-2001?

Why? Because the NY Post was talking about the LAST season
14 years in a row? i knew.
But Doug says "At the moment", not 20 years ago
And THE MOMENT is last years
And in the last years Knicks are worst than irrilevant, they (maybe) are the WORST team in NBA
They must accept bad comments from everybody
inonba
Pro Prospect
And1: 264

Post#36 » by inonba » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:41 pm

I had a good laugh. So Doug Smith argument is only valid if it comes from LA, Boston? They don't even have a name for that fallacy.

Return to Toronto Raptors