ImageImageImageImageImage

Guard Heavy

Moderators: niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100, HiJiNX

SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,664

Guard Heavy 

Post#1 » by SkywalkerAC » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:12 pm

As we all know, we've got a lot of guards on the roster. If we do sign Delfino, we'll have 4 point guards and 4 shooting guards (with a couple guys capable of playing SF). Do you think this is how we'll go into the season and if so why?

Is Triano planning on running a two-point guard system for the majority of games? Just how uptempo are we going to be? BC has liked small combos at the 2 in the past (House and Barbosa and Dixon), might we see Douby and Roko on the court more than we expect?

Triano has mentioned playing Turk at the 4. Might we see some crazy lineups like:

Jose
Douby
Delfino
Hedo
Bosh

or

Roko
Jack
Derozan
Hedo
Bargnani

Bottomline, we're extremely guard heavy - is this by design?
barrist
RealGM
And1: 716

Re: Guard Heavy 

Post#2 » by barrist » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:15 pm

Douby Roko, aint gonna see much time.
EventHorizon
Assistant Coach
And1: 306

Post#3 » by EventHorizon » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:24 pm

George, Douby, Banks and Roko shouldn't really count.
tradedmascot_14
Senior
And1: 0

Post#4 » by tradedmascot_14 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:45 pm

In our nine man rotation Jack will back up Jose and Wright will backup Hedo with the two of them splitting the backup SG minutes behind Derozan. It is also possible to switch Derozan and Wright in that scenario. If Delfino comes back, however we will probably run a ten man rotation with Delfino at SG.

Basically

Calderon/Jack
Derozan/Jack/Wright
Turkoglu/Wright
Bosh/Evans
Bargnani/Nesterovic

Or with Delfino

Calderon/Jack
Derozan/Delfino
Turkoglu/Wright
Bosh/Evans
Bargnani/Nesterovic

You could argue that Delfino would start, but based on the comments from Colangelo and Triano, I think they will begin the season with Demar as starting SG.
I wouldn't expect to see too much of Roko, Douby, or POB, and George and Banks probably won't even dress.
JN
RealGM
And1: 9,914

Post#5 » by JN » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:11 pm

Were not really a guard heavy team. Guards dominate our scrubs (out of the rotation + out of top 10 players).

Guys 11-15 shouldn't play anyway. If we have severe injury issues for a few nights, does it matter that we play P. O'Bryant 30 minutes, or two scrubs 15 minutes each. No its the same hole for 30 minutes.
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#6 » by Gold Chain » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:26 pm

Roko will be moved for a pick imo.

Shame. He is not yet a good NBA baller nut I see the signs of a keeper.
bassmastert
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#7 » by bassmastert » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:29 pm

Not really. We're essentially a 4 player rotation in the guard positions...

Calderon/Jack
DeRozan/Wright

Roko: Spot minutes at the 1 or 2, use practice to bring his game to the NBA level. I think he's capable, but he isn't there quite yet.

Banks: More than likely won't dress unless there's an injury. Would like to see him traded or waived. He may play some games for defensive assignments only.

Douby: Spot minutes at the 2 if no one's shat is going in. Has the skills to be a solid NBA player but doesn't seem to have the right mentality....yet.

Delfino: IF he gets signed, then we'd move Wright to the backup 3. Right now I believe we have George pencilled in there. George would then maybe get spot minutes.

We have options, and that's a good thing, especially for the bench.
vinsanity11 wrote:
He was having flashbacks of game 6 last year, he didn't want to be the one who chocked again..
Raptors90102 wrote:
Spell check is your friend..
vinsanity11 wrote:
I spelled it right dumbass...

LOL RealGM at it's finest...

Return to Toronto Raptors