An Atlantic Division Primer

Merit
Head Coach
And1: 2,894

An Atlantic Division Primer 

Post#1 » by Merit » Tue Aug 4, 2009 10:13 pm

TORONTO RAPTORS

Makeover mandate: Keep Chris in Canada

Smartest move: Snaring Hedo Turkoglu away from Portland required a little luck but gives the Raptors another scorer, 3-point shooter and decision-maker, all in one package. Don't be surprised if they use him the same way Orlando did, running the late-game offense through him on occasion to take some pressure off Chris Bosh.

Biggest setback: Hard to find fault in what Bryan Colangelo has done this offseason, although it can be said that he hasn't added much defense. The Raptors still seem a bit soft. Maybe Reggie Evans can change that.

Feeling the draft: Taken ninth overall, DeMar DeRozan has a great chance to start at shooting guard. He has the size and athleticism to play both wing spots, although more minutes will be available at the 2.

Summer fun: DeRozan, who is just 19, averaged 17 points per game in Las Vegas but also showed restraint on the court and maturity off it. Patrick O'Bryant got a look as a backup center but still needs to play with more force and aggression.

Sleeper move: Combo guard Jarrett Jack may be one of the best signings of the summer. If DeRozan isn't quite ready, he can fill the minutes at shooting guard. And when Jose Calderon needs a breather, he can fill in at point guard. Trading for Marco Belinelli as a campare for Andrea Bargnani wasn't a bad move, either.

Biggest risk: Colangelo gave a five-year, $50 million contract extension to Bargnani, which could end up being a huge bargain or a huge mistake. He is only 23 and figures to get better, but how close is he to his ceiling? And how much of his recent development is from playing alongside Bosh?

Vacancies: None, really. There's one roster spot that likely will go to a small forward of little impact.

Overall grade: A. The Raptors appear to have a playoff team.

http://probasketballnews.com/story/?storyid=677
I believe in Masai.
RocLaFamilia
Lead Assistant
And1: 34

Re: An Atlantic Division Primer 

Post#2 » by RocLaFamilia » Tue Aug 4, 2009 10:46 pm

I think Jack and DD make us a little less soft. I think it was more addition by subtraction (AP, Kap and Moon). I'd like to add Joey for some physicality.
dacrusha wrote:
In 2009, when Wright asked a Colorado judge to intervene, Weems didn’t even bother sending a lawyer to court.

Since when does Weems bring any kind of defense to the court anyway?
disc0
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#3 » by disc0 » Tue Aug 4, 2009 11:15 pm

nice overview. i'd give the second coming of BC an A as well.

The first year he made major changes and we topped the Atlantic/Titanic/Craptanic division

this year we're playoff bound and hopefully, 2nd round deep if not ECF

YEA BAY-BE!

Evans for toughness, JJ a nice combo gaurd that aint afraid, DD with raw atheleticism, and Belinelli for practically nothing, and the best move of all, the Return of the Rashonator. He'll be the steady hand that guides us through the tough times.

*** side note, i think having Jay Triano as full time coach with his own staff and a full summer camp to implement his offense and defenses is going to be a huge under the radar move.
Raptors Dine Is Tea!
killerbs
Analyst
And1: 46

Post#4 » by killerbs » Tue Aug 4, 2009 11:35 pm

Yaaaa id give it an A as well last offseason B+ but with hindsight 20/20 bad offseason
coolanjello
Junior
And1: 4

Post#5 » by coolanjello » Wed Aug 5, 2009 1:43 am

I'd give BC an A+ given that he didn't have much to work with. I mean he went from no bench to a loaded bench, average starting lineup to a star-studded starting lineup and got himself some great bargains in Bellinelli and Jack. I have no doubt he can find a suitor for Banks and get a good deal at the backup SF spot by trading away Ukic, POB and/or Wright.

Btw, this was the most hilarious post ever: http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=935006
garbage time
Starter
And1: 1

Post#6 » by garbage time » Wed Aug 5, 2009 1:47 am

coolanjello wrote:
Btw, this was the most hilarious post ever: http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=935006

No it wasn't. It was your thread I bet, no one else would think it was even remotely funny nevermind "hilarious".
ibtl

Return to Toronto Raptors