ImageImageImageImageImage

Retired and Ex-Raptors

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Devon_s_biring
Junior
And1: 0

Retired and Ex-Raptors 

Post#1 » by Devon_s_biring » Fri Aug 7, 2009 4:21 pm

So for those here that read the Toronto Star, this morning there was an interesting article about the 92-93 Jays players, and what they do today. I.e. Roberto Alomar has a hearing aide business in Toronto but resides in Florida.

As a Raptor fan, I was curious as to what some of the retired and previous Raps players would be up to these days, so I thought I'd turn to the power of wikipedia:

Willie Anderson (95-96) - Played for the Knicks and Heat for the two seasons after Toronto, before moving to Greece and playing for olympiacos, then AEK Athens, followed lastly by Maccabi Tel Aviv, the team which waived him into retirement

Corie Blount (2004) - The Raptors were his last team before retiring. Blount was arrested on December 5, 2008 for possession of 29 pounds of marijuana in the suburban Cincinnati town of Hamilton, Ohio. According to police reports, Blount received a package of 11 pounds of marijuana and transported it to another house that contained another 11 pounds of marijuana. Deputies also found another 7 pounds of marijuana and confiscated a 1996 Mercedes Benz, 2004 Cadillac Escalade, a 2000 Chevrolet Suburban, 3 guns and $29,500 in cash.

Dee Brown (98-2000) - Raptors were his last team before retiring. He served roles in the Women's National Basketball Association first as a head coach for the Orlando Miracle and then as the head coach for the San Antonio Silver Stars. In 2005 he won a one-year contract as a studio analyst for ESPN as the winner of the reality show Dream Job, defeating former Houston Rocket Matt Bullard. He went on to host a ESPN show called City Slam!.

Muggsy Bogues (99-01) - Retired a Raptor. Since leaving the NBA, Bogues worked in the real estate business until August 3, 2005, when he was named head coach of the Charlotte Sting in the Women's National Basketball Association despite a lack of coaching experience. Notably, he was shorter than all of his players, the shortest member of the Sting being Helen Darlings who stands 5 ft 6 in (1.7 m). He lost his job as coach when the team folded in January 2007. He currently works for the Charlotte Bobcats in their front office. His autobiography, In The Land of Giants, recounts the struggles of growing up in inner-city Baltimore and achieving success in the NBA.

Doug Christie (96-2000) - Went on to stints with Sac, Orl, Dall, and the Clips. In 2002, The New York Times published a feature story in which Doug and his wife Jackie talked about ways the two keep Doug from succumbing to the extramarital temptations that come with the pro athlete lifestyle. The couple re-marry every year on their wedding anniversary, complete with guests and festivities. In reaction to the story, ESPN columnist Bill Simmons wrote, "If you were granted [a] TV wish, wouldn't it be for an "Osbournes"-style reality-TV show called "The Christies"?" Simmons got his wish in 2006, when Black Entertainment Television's BET launched the reality show The Christies Committed, featuring the struggle to balance family and celebrity life.

Lloyd Daniels (97-98) - By far the most interesting career of any player to suit up for the Raps. The 6'7" shooting guard was one of the most sought-after recruits in the nation during the 1986-87 recruiting cycle. At the time,. he was considered the most talented player from New York City since Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. However, he'd attended five high schools in three states, and could only read on a third-grade level.

He eventually wound up at UNLV and was slated to play for legendary coach Jerry Tarkanian. One of Tarkanian's assistants, Mark Warkentien, became Daniels' legal guardian, and got him admitted to a California junior college to improve his academics. However, on February 9, 1987, Daniels was arrested for buying crack cocaine from an undercover policeman. Although Tarkanian was known for taking in troubled players, this was too much even for him, and he announced days after the arrest that Daniels would never play for UNLV. It later emerged that Daniels had first been led to UNLV by Richard Perry, who had been convicted twice for sports bribery. Perry's involvement resulted in an NCAA investigation that ultimately forced Tarkanian to resign.

He caught on with a team in New Zealand shortly after he was kicked off the Continental Basketball Association's Topeka Sizzlers for not staying in shape, only to be thrown off the team for heavy drinking. On May 11, 1989, Daniels was shot three times in the chest and survived.[4] He still has a bullet lodged in his right shoulder.

He had two stints with the Raps - Later in his career, while dominating play in the CBA, the Raptors signed him to a ten-day contract and he scored 22 points in his first game with team. Despite his obvious offensive skills, he was forever considered an off court risk and an undisciplined player, and could not find a permanent home in the NBA.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Ra ... ime_roster

I shared those I found most interesting, if anybody knows of any other interesting cases, do share.
"I'll play the one if I have to. I'll play the five. It doesn't matter. I'm the most versatile player, I think, in the league." - Joey Graham
MattBoner
Senior

Re: Retired and Ex-Raptors 

Post#2 » by MattBoner » Fri Aug 7, 2009 4:33 pm

what are AD and JYD doing
Devon_s_biring
Junior

Post#3 » by Devon_s_biring » Fri Aug 7, 2009 4:36 pm

"I'll play the one if I have to. I'll play the five. It doesn't matter. I'm the most versatile player, I think, in the league." - Joey Graham
ToffKobe
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#4 » by ToffKobe » Fri Aug 7, 2009 4:39 pm

My curiosity is eating at me...

What are Nate Huffman, Zendon Hamilton, and Jelani McCoy doing? :)
hiphopopotamus
Ballboy

Post#5 » by hiphopopotamus » Fri Aug 7, 2009 4:44 pm

Pretty cool topic, that Lloyd Daniels story is wild...sort of reminds me of Len Bias.
alivinglegend
Bench Warmer
And1: 276

Post#6 » by alivinglegend » Fri Aug 7, 2009 4:49 pm

Wow I did not know about Lloyd Daniels, seems like a shame, the guy could be a multimillionaire right now but instead he's probably broke. Hopefully he got his life sorted out at some point, but it's still a damn shame.
Jamario Moon Trancends Time And Space
T0R0NT0_RAPT0RS
Analyst
And1: 1,266
Location: [STH] Toronto, ON = ah.. the memories of 500 level seats at skydome...

Post#7 » by T0R0NT0_RAPT0RS » Fri Aug 7, 2009 4:56 pm

great topic OP... and good choices of players to highlight.
jay632
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#8 » by jay632 » Fri Aug 7, 2009 4:58 pm

this topic should be stickied.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#9 » by YogiStewart » Fri Aug 7, 2009 4:59 pm

jay632 wrote:this topic should be stickied.

Consequence
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#10 » by Consequence » Fri Aug 7, 2009 5:00 pm

That pic was way too weird Yogi.
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#11 » by YogiStewart » Fri Aug 7, 2009 5:05 pm

Consequence wrote:That pic was way too weird Yogi.

as is the strange demand to have this topic stickied :)
jairtime
Junior

Post#12 » by jairtime » Fri Aug 7, 2009 5:06 pm

On June 25, 2009, Carter was traded to the Orlando Magic with Ryan Anderson for Rafer Alston, Tony Battie and Courtney Lee. [44] Carter stated that he does not want to be the face of the Orlando Magic. He said he just wants what he has wanted throughout his career, a championship ring.
Devon_s_biring
Junior

Post#13 » by Devon_s_biring » Fri Aug 7, 2009 5:17 pm

Thanks for the compliments, i didn't bother including John Salley, bcuz if you, like me, have a tv, you'd be sick of him too
True Warrior Zo
Lead Assistant
And1: 4

Post#14 » by True Warrior Zo » Fri Aug 7, 2009 5:42 pm

Anyone find it funny that we have had more "Williams" on our team than the Lakers have had in their entire history?
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#15 » by NashtyNas » Fri Aug 7, 2009 5:43 pm

jairtime wrote:On June 25, 2009, Carter was traded to the Orlando Magic with Ryan Anderson for Rafer Alston, Tony Battie and Courtney Lee. [44] Carter stated that he does not want to be the face of the Orlando Magic. He said he just wants what he has wanted throughout his career, a championship ring.

I was going to post this as soon as I read the OP's post.

The underappreciated greats:

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
T0R0NT0_RAPT0RS
Analyst
And1: 1,266
Location: [STH] Toronto, ON = ah.. the memories of 500 level seats at skydome...

Post#16 » by T0R0NT0_RAPT0RS » Fri Aug 7, 2009 6:39 pm

sd1306 wrote:
jairtime wrote:On June 25, 2009, Carter was traded to the Orlando Magic with Ryan Anderson for Rafer Alston, Tony Battie and Courtney Lee. [44] Carter stated that he does not want to be the face of the Orlando Magic. He said he just wants what he has wanted throughout his career, a championship ring.

I was going to post this as soon as I read the OP's post.

I think the focus is on former Raps who are retired.
Birth of the Cool
Analyst
And1: 1,449

Post#17 » by Birth of the Cool » Fri Aug 7, 2009 7:40 pm

One of my favourite Raptors ever, JIMMY KING !!

I know he torched our summer league (lol) after his rookie season,
then got traded to Dallas for Popeye
then didn't make Dallas
and I think played for the CBA or some bball asssociation
and Jalen tried to help him with tryouts (perhaps with Denver, forget...)
IIRC he is into real estate or something like that....

I recall one of my favourite Leafs player, Gary Leeman, was in car sales/dealership I think & I saw the dude on a Texas Hold em' poker show for celebrity hockey players too..

Return to Toronto Raptors