ImageImageImageImageImage

How long will it take for us to mesh?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Koosh
Banned User
And1: 1

How long will it take for us to mesh? 

Post#1 » by Koosh » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:20 pm

Looking back to the 06/07 season, we brought in a crapload of new talent and started the season 2-8. Afterwards we started to pull it all together and by the end of the season we were one of the best teams in the league. Similarly, this summer we’ve added nine new guys and we have even revamped our coaching staff.

So does that mean we can expect the team to struggle early on? A lot of us have high expectations for the upcoming season but what are some realistic expectations early on? And how long do you think the transition will take before our guys really start working together as a unit?

Personally, I anticipate a slightly above average start but that’s partly due to the difficulty of our schedule. I honestly feel that this team can go far, farther than the 06/07 squad and any other Raptors team in history. And even though I know it usually takes time for players to adjust to new situations, I think that our current coaching staff is much more equipped to ease the transition than what we had in previous years.

Too bad we can’t start secretly practicing ahead of time…
Silk Wilkes
Banned User
And1: 10

Re: How long will it take for us to mesh? 

Post#2 » by Silk Wilkes » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:24 pm

No way to tell, some teams mesh quickly like the 06/07 squad and some teams never mesh like the Knicks squad Isiah Thomas put together which had a helluva lot of talent.
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#3 » by Undefeated » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:26 pm

Not as long as the 06-07 team because more than half of the starting five are familiar with each other's game. And some of the bench players are familiar as well due to international play.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
Str33t_Fight3r
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#4 » by Str33t_Fight3r » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:27 pm

Youngblood wrote:No way to tell, some teams mesh quickly like the 06/07 squad and some teams never mesh like the Knicks squad Isiah Thomas put together which had a helluva lot of talent.

They had a lot of talent, but they didn't have guys that genuinely liked to share the ball. The raps had that in 06/07 and I truly think they have that this season too. Having a team filled with selfless players helps greatly in terms of chemistry. I'd say 1.5-2 months tops to mesh though, much like the Atlantic Division champs. They really started getting it together after that road trip where TJ hit that buzzer beater and then that win in OT against Portland.
Raps fan till I die

"You know it's funny when it rains it pours
They got money for wars, but can't feed the poor" - Tupac Shakur

There's no "D" in Toronto Raptors...but there's a crap load of "O's"
Pro Prospect
And1: 6

Post#5 » by 62245 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:44 pm

hopefully right away... but i think with turkoglu in the mix he can bring everybody together and most of the players that will play most of the minutes were in toronto last season.
FluLikeSymptoms
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,575

Post#6 » by FluLikeSymptoms » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:49 pm

We'll be fine on offense right away because Jose, Jack, and Hedo all distribute the ball well, and teams will likely continue to double Bosh in one fashion or another.

I can't imagine Triano using any kind of complex defensive schemes, we really have no help defenders in our starting lineup unless Bosh grows a pair. And forget about guys helping the helper in that unlikely event. Yikes.

I think we'll pretty much be the team we're going to be by December, unless Derozan somehow turns into a star. We'll win early, and then we'll see how many teams in the East can top us.
timdunkit
RealGM
And1: 585

Post#7 » by timdunkit » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:17 am

I think it will take 2-4 months before the team is rolling in all cylinders. After the all-star break is when I expect a big push and surge from the Raptors. The first couple of months will be up and downs but I think the team will be hovering around .500 . Bosh's offensive output and Hedo should be able to win us games singlehandedly sometimes which will make up for the chemistry. These guys are genuinely unselfish, they don't just talk in the media ...
BC4CB4
Senior
And1: 506

Post#8 » by BC4CB4 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:44 am

I just hope to God that Triano doesn't do what Mitchell did every year and take the whole preseason to evaluate his talent.

He should be getting serious rotations down by like the second preseason game so we have a chance to hit the ground running. The beginning of our regular season schedule is also the toughest.
"If I ever get real rich, I hope I'm not mean to poor people, like I am now."
-- Jack Handey

"The amount of people who confuse "to" and "too" is amazing two me."
-- Will Ferrell
Undefeated
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,105

Post#9 » by Undefeated » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:11 am

thesciencedroppa wrote:I can't imagine Triano using any kind of complex defensive schemes, we really have no help defenders in our starting lineup unless Bosh grows a pair. And forget about guys helping the helper in that unlikely event. Yikes.

Training camp hasn't even begun yet bro... And there was a reason why Iavaroni was brought in so that our players would buy into help defense. Clearly, our players aren't all-nba defenders, though we never had a set defensive scheme during the BC era, so there's still a chance that our players could show something under the guidance of a coach who actually knows something about defense. Furthermore, the players like all the fans know that defense will be a weakness going into the season if they don't address it, so I'm sure they'll work hard seeing as they want to win as much as the fans. Convincing your players into a complex defensive scheme isn't that hard, all you need are players with high IQ which is what we have.
Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?" - Jesus Shuttlesworth
nizaam
Sixth Man
And1: 415

Post#10 » by nizaam » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:30 am

bring back smitch
bane_dd
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#11 » by bane_dd » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:42 am

nizaam wrote:bring back smitch

He's busy answering his door which is being beaten down by various NBA teams competing for his services.
alivinglegend
Bench Warmer
And1: 276

Post#12 » by alivinglegend » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:19 am

bane_dd wrote:

He's busy answering his door which is being beaten down by various NBA teams competing for his services.

Hahaha ees funny because he can't get a job (from Family guy).
Jamario Moon Trancends Time And Space
totallyr
Assistant Coach
And1: 111

Post#13 » by totallyr » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:54 am

I think it'll come down to to the coaching staff and practice time at home during the season, oh and screw Mitchell
To all our soldiers serving overseas, be safe and come home soon
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#14 » by J Dilla » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:17 am

It's all on Jay Triano. He's in the best position to succeed right now. He's the only thing I'm concerned about and it could potentially hold the Raptors back.
KRANG
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,319

Post#15 » by KRANG » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:33 am

lol.

What do you think Sam is thinking right now ?

" I had Solomon and Moon, Jay Triano gets Jack and Turkoglu. Thanks BC "
Courtesy of Turbo_Zone
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,665

Post#16 » by SkywalkerAC » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:55 am

we'll gel very quickly but should peak late. the opening schedule is tough but we're going to surprise some teams as it really is a new team around Jose, Bosh, and Bargnani.
rdtx2005
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#17 » by rdtx2005 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:01 am

alivinglegend wrote:
bane_dd wrote:

Hahaha ees funny because he can't get a job (from Family guy).

well.. if i were sitting at home collecting a paycheque for the next few, i'd slowly look for a job too.
power works
Sixth Man
And1: 241

Post#18 » by power works » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:17 pm

I nominate November as the official "bi-polar fan month."

Because there's a good possibility that the team may have a losing record in November. The sense of panic will be thick in the air, and all the doom-and-gloom threads like....."fire JT"...."fire BC"...."trade Bosh" will be here...there and everywhere. :lol:

They see a fair share of quality teams...playoff teams, and with 12 new faces, there's going to be a period of adjustment. That's to be expected.

If they don't get it together....like go on a 8-10 game win streak by the 3rd week of December, then start to panic. :o

Expectations are high. This shouldn't be just a low 40's win team.

Return to Toronto Raptors