ImageImageImageImageImage

Would you want a new team in canada?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Re: Would you want a new team in canada? 

Post#81 » by dacrusha » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:13 pm

Major_9000 wrote:Stern is on record saying moving the franchise out of Vancouver was one of his biggest regrets as commish....I could see them getting another shot at some point.

Stern is on record for wishing they never went to Vancouver in the first place:

"As it turns out, I wish we hadn't had the Vancouver experience . . . ,'' Stern said in a podcast interview with ESPN.com. "Great city and we disappointed them and we disappointed ourselves.''

In a wide-ranging interview, Stern said he still questions whether the NBA miscalculated by expanding into both Toronto and Vancouver in 1995. While the Raptors soldier on as Canada's only team - with the NBA's first Canadian-born coach Jay Triano, no less - the Grizzlies amassed a 101-359 record in six seasons before relocating to Memphis in 2001.

"Maybe we shouldn't have done it there [Vancouver], maybe we should have only expanded into Toronto . . . that was a great disappointment to me," he said

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/head+Stern+regrets+Vancouver+experience/1063631/story.html
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Huskies1947
Head Coach
And1: 1,174

Post#82 » by Huskies1947 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:59 pm

yeah they shouldn't have expanded to Vancouver at that time. The Canadian dollar was low, and Arthur Griffith (the original owner of the franchise) did not have the money to subsidize a expansion team, build a new arena, and keep the Canucks at the time too.

After he sold the club it was pretty much over seeing how no one was going to step up to buy the franchise. They just need a solid ownership groups that knows what they are doing. Good marketing/pr as well as money to lose in order to get the brand established.

I personally think that's what Stern means when he shouldn't have expanded there...i.e. sell to Griffith..
why22
Analyst
And1: 16

Re: New NBA team in canada? 

Post#83 » by why22 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:04 am

LittleOzzy wrote:Vancouver deserves another chance.

there not doin much better in memphis but im sure david stern is crapping out hot coals tha the nba is in canada at all
Basketball_Jones wrote:BC holding Casey accountable would go like this:

BC: so I see you played Andrea quite a bit there when he was struggling
Casey: yeah I know, we needed spacing
BC: play him more (walks away)
Maternal
Banned User
And1: 222

Post#84 » by Maternal » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:42 am

Having 1 in MTL would take away alot of the raps fans in Ontario. I doubt MLSE would want such and would probably try to block it. Van-city would definately get one before MTL. And Americans are ignorant. MOST won't want to play there just because it's french.
Tomato
Lead Assistant
And1: 14

Post#85 » by Tomato » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:45 am

Won't work in Montreal. Too poor, not enough interest, people here will only want bilingual players.
by Shoon.
Mayonegg
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#86 » by Mayonegg » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:15 am

Major_9000 wrote:
C_Money wrote:
Major_9000 wrote:Calgary!!! Git'er done Stern! YEEE HAW!!

LOL there'd be more people on the court than in the stands.

Are you kidding...Calgary has tons of cash...Flames/Stampeders are sold out every game for years...even the Calgary Vipers our minor league baseball teams does well.

We're building a new stadium in Regina soon fwiw...

The only reason I wouldn't want another Canadian NBA team is if it would interfere with Raps TV coverage. As it is I can watch every Raps game but it takes 4 networks to do it. I'd hate to have to miss some games to watch Grizzles 3.0.

Return to Toronto Raptors