ImageImageImageImageImage

Was Jack apart of the "Jail-Blazers"+ We're still soft!!!!

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

NikeAir
Banned User
And1: 0

Was Jack apart of the "Jail-Blazers"+ We're still soft!!!! 

Post#1 » by NikeAir » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:30 am

I'm really trying to look at how Colangelo improved the toughness on this team then I wondered if Jack was apart of that franchiase during those years. As far as I'm concerned toughness is defined as the opposing player knowing that if he hits you hard your not going to take it and sit down, your gonna come back at him harder. For example Ron Artest got elbowed by Kobe on the neck he didn't just STFU and let the game go on he threaten to kick his ass. As far as I'm concerned we are soft as one can be.
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Re: Was Jack apart of the "Jail-Blazers"+ We're still soft!!!! 

Post#2 » by Anatomize » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:34 am

Jack - Wright - Evans

I also consider Turkoglu tough, he never backs down from anyone and has had a few face to face confrontations.
chsh22
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#3 » by chsh22 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:34 am

So then getting techs/ejections is toughness?
I think that's just being a loudmouth.

To me it's getting up off the floor and taking it at the guy hard on the other end of the floor. Make him foul you, and make him feel the contact.

Just don't Joey him.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan wrote:If you were going to give the raps board an enema, you'd stick the tube in this thread.
redred9
Assistant Coach
And1: 66

Post#4 » by redred9 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:37 am

If Bosh gets tougher, the entire team will go with him. He's the leader and it's on him imo. I wanna see Bosh get in KG's face (just once!).
That's the one part of JO's game which really will be missed.
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#5 » by J Dilla » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:46 am

chsh22 wrote:So then getting techs/ejections is toughness?

To me it's getting up off the floor and taking it at the guy hard on the other end of the floor. Make him foul you, and make him feel the contact.

Just don't Joey him.

I think nowadays you get technicals over the stupidest ****, even for backing up your teammates. There's a good technical and a bad technical, a bad technical is the Will Soloman technical where you argue over something obvious. A good technical is like I said, backing up your teammates, playing rough if the opponent plays rough with you and gets away (KG).
bassmastert
Rookie
And1: 116

Post#6 » by bassmastert » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:57 am

Toughness is more of a mental make up than a physical one IMO. In that sense, we're a much tougher team than we were last year.

Dirty play =/= tough.
vinsanity11 wrote:
He was having flashbacks of game 6 last year, he didn't want to be the one who chocked again..
Raptors90102 wrote:
Spell check is your friend..
vinsanity11 wrote:
I spelled it right dumbass...

LOL RealGM at it's finest...
J Dilla
Banned User
And1: 1,832

Post#7 » by J Dilla » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:30 am

Toughness=2001 Raptors
knickerbocker2k2
General Manager
And1: 4,455

Post#8 » by knickerbocker2k2 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:37 am

When I look at our teams lately we may seem "soft" because we have consistently lacked "something" in the past few years.

Emotion/Momentum is big factor in the NBA. We have lacked players who play with EMOTION (I think Calderon is one of the few exceptions). Usually there are few momentum changing events that occur in the span of the game. This can come from crazy dunk, nice block, players diving into the stands/loose balls, etc. Watch the next time one of these occur and the crowd usually goes crazy. The problem is it doesn't happen ENOUGH. We get this maybe every 3rd game. Other teams usually have this occur on every game. We look to 3point shots to get our momentum changing plays, which really is weak sauce.

The other aspect is that our players rarely play with any swagger. They tend to back down on consistent basis. When was the last time you seen our players argue with somebody not name Garnet? We rarely get techs because our players our consistently backing down!
Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Post#9 » by Anatomize » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:41 am

^ Good point

After Jamario was traded last year, you could see a significant change in our emotion and energy on the court with Pops + Marion, and it started resulting in wins.

Nothing against Jamario, but his happy-go-lucky attitude doesn't exactly fit an intense/winning profile; I felt exactly the same way about Kapono and Joey. We not only got rid of dead waste, we also got rid of non-competitive attitudes.
NikeAir
Banned User

Post#10 » by NikeAir » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:06 am

Anatomize wrote:^ Good point

After Jamario was traded last year, you could see a significant change in our emotion and energy on the court with Pops + Marion, and it started resulting in wins.

Nothing against Jamario, but his happy-go-lucky attitude doesn't exactly fit an intense/winning profile; I felt exactly the same way about Kapono and Joey. We not only got rid of dead waste, we also got rid of non-competitive attitudes.

I don't think we used Jamario as well as we could have he was under-rated on our board and over-rated on the others. He was considered better than Marion I really thought that he could have been used to get rid of Kapono's bad contract or for someone that fit into our needs and got rid of them. For example last season KG was clapping and taunting Jose, if I was in Calderon's shoes when that was happening I would have launched myself at KG and at least tried to kick his ass or throw the ball at his face or probably trip him and kick his face. The real reason behind that is because the NBA can't suspend Calderon because KG forced that action upon himself and if that happens there is the Players Union that can be used to revolt their actions.
darew9392
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#11 » by darew9392 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:50 am

NikeAir wrote:
Anatomize wrote:^ Good point

I don't think we used Jamario as well as we could have he was under-rated on our board and over-rated on the others. He was considered better than Marion I really thought that he could have been used to get rid of Kapono's bad contract or for someone that fit into our needs and got rid of them. For example last season KG was clapping and taunting Jose, if I was in Calderon's shoes when that was happening I would have launched myself at KG and at least tried to kick his ass or throw the ball at his face or probably trip him and kick his face. The real reason behind that is because the NBA can't suspend Calderon because KG forced that action upon himself and if that happens there is the Players Union that can be used to revolt their actions.

those two statements are way off base. by that logic Artest wouldn't have been suspended when a fan threw a drink on him and he just lost it and went after the fans into the stands. to get and idea of why Calderon would get suspended take a look at the Denver vs NY incident from a few yrs back. the Jamario being better then Marion comment well i have no idea where u ever would get the idea, you wont even be able to get anyone on here to second that idea. you can go to all 30 team boards and ask that question if u want.
baba ghanooj
Junior

Post#12 » by baba ghanooj » Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:52 am

Toughness has a lot of factors..

I'd rather have the kind of toughness where we don't choke away big games or maintain our composure in critical situations.
Patman4
Sophomore

Post#13 » by Patman4 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:43 am

I didn't know you needed a criminal record to be tough. Anyways, Jack doesn't back down from people: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ZN2KOaN30
LemonHash
Banned User

Post#14 » by LemonHash » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:10 pm

I bet nikeair is soft at the playground
MattBoner
Senior

Post#15 » by MattBoner » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:23 pm

Jose is a lot tougher than he's given credit for.. hopefully he's recovered and will be back to his former self
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,665

Post#16 » by SkywalkerAC » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:27 pm

will this group of players leave it on the floor for each other? I think so.
Ka5p3r
Banned User

Post#17 » by Ka5p3r » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:30 pm

chsh22 wrote:So then getting techs/ejections is toughness?

Just don't Joey him.

100% agreeed ....another part of touchness is always looking to take it to the basket...instead of takingjumpshots....gettign techs and thrown out of games a is very childish
YogiStewart
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,402

Post#18 » by YogiStewart » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:38 pm

NikeAir wrote:For example last season KG was clapping and taunting Jose, if I was in Calderon's shoes when that was happening I would have launched myself at KG and at least tried to kick his ass or throw the ball at his face or probably trip him and kick his face. The real reason behind that is because the NBA can't suspend Calderon because KG forced that action upon himself and if that happens there is the Players Union that can be used to revolt their actions.

no offense, but that is probably one of the douchiest and most childish responses one could have.

this is why they are professionals and not kiddies playing hoops in the playground.

by the way, a few weeks ago, i encountered this self-absorbed douche who was out with her child and dog. incredibly rude and arrogant woman who started an argument with me literally over nothing. when she first said "what's your point?!?!?" and then launched into "i'm sooooooooooooooo sorry!!", you would suggest that I respond to her immaturity by throwing something at her face or trying to trip her and kick her in the face?

interesting....
RaptorZz101
Senior
And1: 14

Post#19 » by RaptorZz101 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:47 pm

redred9 wrote:If Bosh gets tougher, the entire team will go with him. He's the leader and it's on him imo. I wanna see Bosh get in KG's face (just once!).
That's the one part of JO's game which really will be missed.

Yeaaa i was thinking about that the other day.. JO always just got up into peoples faces.. Tj And Charlie V brought that to the Raptors also.. If Bosh actually got up into peoples facess the NBA would be really different... Are team would juzz be :evil: 8-)
RaptorZz101
Senior
And1: 14

Post#20 » by RaptorZz101 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:56 pm

I also say that Delfino would have added toughness. He just brought a swagger to his game.. Sadly he couldnt have joined.

Return to Toronto Raptors