ImageImageImageImageImage

Antoine Wright: Not Just A Defender

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

rrdjutriurt
Sixth Man
And1: 764

Re: Antoine Wright: Not Just A Defender 

Post#21 » by rrdjutriurt » Sat Oct 3, 2009 10:45 pm

A roc 23 wrote:
antonaki1 wrote:Agree, have said all the same things throughout the summer. You couldn't find a more perfect fit for our starting unit, he's a great glue guy. Also, most of his scoring comes off of dribble drives to the basket and with all the great spacing on our first unit (with all the three point shooters), he would have a field day driving the paint. Antoine will play the majority of games with our starters when all is said and done, of that i'm certain. We need D.D to improve the scoring on the second unit rather than have all of our defensive guys there.

You couldn't find a more perfect fit? I could name you like 30 players that would be better fits. Wright is not a great player. A better fit would be a defender that could do ANYTHING else. Wright isn't a good passer, not a good shooter, not a good dribbler, not a good rebounder and not a good slasher. Players like Bowen can get away with focusing on defense and nothing else because they can hit the three, others rebound, etc... Wright brings nothing but good defense. Hardly a perfect fit on a team without many rebounders.

DD does not need to be a scorer on the 2nd team. Jack and Bellinelli will be scoring a ton as far as backups go. While DD isn't the ideal starting shooting guard as a rookie on a playoff team, he certainly isn't better off on the bench.

Wrong! Wright is a good dribbler, is a good passer, and is a good slasher. You will see that as you watch him more this season. Shooting is his weakness, that i agree, but he's still only 25 and will improve that this year, if given that role. He probably scored a third of his baskets slashing the baseline. Another third or more were scored on dribble drives and many of them were things of beauty. Besides, i was talking perfect fit player wise on our team, of course we'd be better off if we could get Kobe or Lebron or had the whole league to choose from.
NBA ROOKIE OF THE YEAR - BLAKE GRIFFIN
Hoopstarr
RealGM
And1: 10,192

Post#22 » by Hoopstarr » Sat Oct 3, 2009 10:46 pm

So much worship of crappy players on this board. He'll be good for a couple defensive match-ups and that's about it.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,153

Post#23 » by og15 » Sun Oct 4, 2009 1:36 am

If you expect more than defense from him, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I personally would be extremely happy with Antoine Wright as a player on my team if he could shoot 35%+ from 3PT range. That would make him even more useful. Right now though he's a poor shooter and overall a pretty poor scorer.

He should have even scored more in New Jersey considering there were points in time when they were in need of another scorer (Jefferson injured, Jefferson traded)
Rapsalot
Head Coach
And1: 1,646

Post#24 » by Rapsalot » Sun Oct 4, 2009 3:00 am

Here is how A Wright can help the raps the most.

First any SG at the start of the game will be the 5th option on offense and get the worst Defender on the other team. So we don't need a really good scoring SG at that time. Last year we got killed often out of the gate in the first 5-8 minutes because our D was terrible in transition. If he can cut that down it would be great!

Start him for the first 5 minutes at SG and then the rest of the game he is the back-up SF maybe getting 15 minutes there with HT getting 33 minutes per game which will rest him more than last year. HT is not getting any younger.

The rest of the SG minutes can go to DD, MB or JJ based on the match-ups that Jay and staff need.
BlackIce
Head Coach
And1: 901

Post#25 » by BlackIce » Sun Oct 4, 2009 5:24 pm

Hes got nothing on this guy...

Return to Toronto Raptors