ImageImageImageImageImage

PG: Raps lose, but make it close...

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Anatomize
General Manager
And1: 6,167

Re: PG: Raps lose, but make it close... 

Post#181 » by Anatomize » Wed Oct 7, 2009 12:16 pm

MrBojangelz71 wrote:
WingPlaya wrote:I hope Calderon learns that he can pass it to other people besides Chris Bosh and still pad his assists. Frustrating to watch guys making the effort to get open and get completely nulled because Caldy doesn't recognize...

Oh well, one game. He'll get better... right?

Dude, he hasn't played a lick of competitive basketball in 5 months. You can practice and scrimmage all you want but until you play against another team you aren't going to get back to game speed. Factor in that there is only one player that he played with last season, what would you expect? Why is this board so null in void of major factors such as this?

Just reading some comments on this post game thread and I realize what E.Smith meant when he stated that this board has some intelligent posters but it has to many immature and non insightful ones that ruin any meaningful conversations about the game.

Calling DD a bust after one preseason game, bashing BC for his retooling of the team, saying Jose doesn't have it anymore. Seriously, this board is plagued with immature, ignorant and out to lunch posters that rip on the stupidest of things.

As preseason is meant to work out the kinks for the team, it's also an opportune time to use the ignore feature on this forum. After reading this Post Game thread I've already added 4 people to it and will continue until opening night. By the time regular season hits I should have weeded out all the idiots on here so I can actually enjoy conversing with intelligent and knowledgeable posters in a educated and mature fashion. I recommend this approach to others that feel the same as I do.

It's a good idea to block immature posters, but I don't think that guy really said anything wrong regardless of his sarcastic question, don't be quick to mute those who disagree with your opinions; it's what makes debating interesting.
MrBojangelz71
Banned User
And1: 929

Post#182 » by MrBojangelz71 » Wed Oct 7, 2009 12:22 pm

Anatomize wrote:
MrBojangelz71 wrote:
WingPlaya wrote:I hope Calderon learns that he can pass it to other people besides Chris Bosh and still pad his assists. Frustrating to watch guys making the effort to get open and get completely nulled because Caldy doesn't recognize...

Dude, he hasn't played a lick of competitive basketball in 5 months. You can practice and scrimmage all you want but until you play against another team you aren't going to get back to game speed. Factor in that there is only one player that he played with last season, what would you expect? Why is this board so null in void of major factors such as this?

Just reading some comments on this post game thread and I realize what E.Smith meant when he stated that this board has some intelligent posters but it has to many immature and non insightful ones that ruin any meaningful conversations about the game.

Calling DD a bust after one preseason game, bashing BC for his retooling of the team, saying Jose doesn't have it anymore. Seriously, this board is plagued with immature, ignorant and out to lunch posters that rip on the stupidest of things.

As preseason is meant to work out the kinks for the team, it's also an opportune time to use the ignore feature on this forum. After reading this Post Game thread I've already added 4 people to it and will continue until opening night. By the time regular season hits I should have weeded out all the idiots on here so I can actually enjoy conversing with intelligent and knowledgeable posters in a educated and mature fashion. I recommend this approach to others that feel the same as I do.

It's a good idea to block immature posters, but I don't think that guy really said anything wrong regardless of his sarcastic question, don't be quick to mute those who disagree with your opinions; it's what makes debating interesting.

Agreed, and for the record he wasn't added.

I don't mind if posters call out a player or member of the organization, as long as it's intelligent and relative. Anyone that did after one preseason game is not applying any logic and will only get worse as the season progresses
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,560

Post#183 » by DG88 » Wed Oct 7, 2009 12:29 pm

Avenger wrote:I don't care if this one preseason game but Colangelo needs to look to trade away Calderon ASAP. I don't understand why the mother **** he dominates the ball so much when all does is play hot potato on the perimeter and almost never creates good looks for his teammates. His defence was flat out atrocious like always, so much for the new calderon talk. Oh and why the **** did he feed Reggie Evans in the post, how can you be that stupid?

I liked what i saw from Marco, he needs to cut down on his wild side though. His defence is surprisingly adequate and perhaps good?

Jack was decent but needs to play within himself, so less of that put your down and drive the ball into 4 defenders.

Reggie Evans sucks, he's a gimmick to be a honest. He gambles too much, can't finish and leaves the Raptors a bit vulnerable when defending the fast break.

Calderon hasn't play any sort of competitive ball be it playing with other plays at gyms or practicing with his national team in 5 months. I wouldn't expect him to be game ready conditioning wise. Also he has to get used to his new teammates as well. I didn't like how he played either but I also looked at factors that could explain his poor play.
theflash1234
Senior
And1: 1

Post#184 » by theflash1234 » Wed Oct 7, 2009 12:32 pm

r3dturtl3 wrote:
andrew2good4u wrote:
theflash1234 wrote:
You go to university of waterloo? O_O

So do I. There are a few of us here

Water! Water! Water!......Loo! Loo! Loo! :P

WOW that's amazing, i didn't think there was anyone except me in Waterloo who enjoyed watching the raptors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! yayyyy....(even tho i'm currently on co-op)
Minge wrote:Kobe drips ball sweat into my mouth at night and it sooths me to sleep.

DelaneyRudd wrote:
HTown_TMac wrote:You DO understand that after a certain age you dont get much taller, right?

It's that kind of attitude that has kept T-Mac at 6'8 his entire career.
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#185 » by Hendrix » Wed Oct 7, 2009 12:55 pm

I thought Derozan showed some nice things, and some different skills then he showed last year. That's about all you can ask for in his first preseason game this young imo. He was a little timid out of the gate, but always seemed to be the type to take a little bit to get comfortable anyways. In college it took hima while to get going then picked it up. Insummer league same thing. No worries.

I thought the crowd was alright. they were pretty vocal any time the teamgave themsomething to cheer about and managed to stay in the game even though it was kindaa frustrating game thatdidn't matter at all.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
Lionel Messi
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#186 » by Lionel Messi » Wed Oct 7, 2009 1:15 pm

MrBojangelz71 wrote:
Anatomize wrote:
MrBojangelz71 wrote:

Agreed, and for the record he wasn't added.

I don't mind if posters call out a player or member of the organization, as long as it's intelligent and relative. Anyone that did after one preseason game is not applying any logic and will only get worse as the season progresses

+1
I still can't understand people calling DeMar a bust already, he had a okay game. I don't want to think what would have happened had he played a BAD game, lol.
Also, people have to remmeber this team is going to be drastically different come opening night when we have Hedo and Bosh in the lineup and even Antoine Wright, arguably our best perimiter defender.
WingPlaya
Sophomore

Post#187 » by WingPlaya » Wed Oct 7, 2009 1:20 pm

MrBojangelz71 wrote:

Except that this particular part of Calderon's game isn't new... I watch games. His athletic ability and speed has nothing to do with his court vision. It's a pre season game this is where he's supposed to become comfortable with players to step up and make shots... he should be trying to hit up as many open looks as possible: That is his job.

I know that Calderon will get better, I'm not totally daft and I know he's a great PG in this league. However, this is a thread dedicated to the first pre-season game. I saw something I did not like in the first pre-season game and decided to give my opinion.

Saying that it would be nice for Calderon to pass the ball to developing players, especially when they make an effort to cut into the right lanes and get open for good shots, is not a bad thing to ask. Yes I know he is rusty, yes I know he hasn't played a lick of basketball... but since he's always had a slight problem with hitting open guys (sans Chris Bosh), I have every right to be concerned.

If you want everyone to agree with you, create your own forum and filter everyone's opinion until you get your very own utopian forum. Until then, suck it up.. you're on the internet.

edit: saw your latest reply somewhat negates this one, sorry... i was really only trying to get a discussion going.
we should sign AI so we can have a rapping raptor
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#188 » by Anatomize » Wed Oct 7, 2009 1:23 pm

It's pretty impressive that we put up 98 points against Williams, Iguodala, Young, Brand, Dalembert and the rest of the Philly cast with just our role players and Calderon/AB. I don't think they can hold us if we had CB/Turk.

And yeah, anyone calling DeRozan a bust after a preseason game shouldn't be watching or commenting about basketball.

I still find it ridiculous that when AB posted bad lines, the entire board was creating threads promising his demise. When he schools Dalembert, plays extremely well for a long stretch, not even a peep from 80% of the board who ridiculed him and said he's a guaranteed bust; It's a joke.
rdtx2005
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#189 » by rdtx2005 » Wed Oct 7, 2009 1:28 pm

as usual.. there are a bunch of idiots on this board.. bashing DD, BC.. LOLz
Top_Gun
Pro Prospect

Post#190 » by Top_Gun » Wed Oct 7, 2009 1:28 pm

MinnyMo wrote:Got a good look from all the new/old raptors

DeRozan - didn't force a whole lot, played within himself
Weems - real athletic, a smaller offensive mold of moon
Amir - as advertised, brings the boards and blocks
Evans - also as advertised, brings the energy and toughness
Bargnani - played a great game, in mid season form
Calderon - Really rusty, had some uncharacteristic turnovers, needs to get in game shape
Jack - a solid player, good handles, good crisp passes, can hit the open jumper
Douby - fast, takes ill-advised shots
Banks - showed that he might be able to get minutes with a solid 8 mins of play in the 4th
Bellinelli - hes going to be on or off, tonight he was off, hopefully he will be more consistent as he progresses through the pre-season
Rasho - played some solid minutes, as expected
O'bryant - stepped up his soft play slightly from summer league

You said it best
Gold Chain
RealGM
And1: 161

Post#191 » by Gold Chain » Wed Oct 7, 2009 1:28 pm

I am just happy Raps ball is back!!

I read some good stuff early in the thread but I stopped because the drama queens are out in full force.

I was happy with Andrea, Amir, Derozan, Marco, Reggie.

Let's remember that this is the first preaseason game of the year for the boys and it will take them some time. Relax dudes.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,569

Post#192 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed Oct 7, 2009 1:40 pm

A few thoughts from my pov.

-Calderon looked rusty and turnover prone, all the gaurds were turnover prone really.
-I was concerned about our outside shooting before but I now think we'll be ok. Bargz, Marco, Jack, all made shots out there.
-Our bigman game has vastly improved. We are going to get on the glass this yr & it has to be emphysis.
-I liked the Amir,Evans,Rasho front court. They'll get the job done.
-Derozen showed he knows how to play basketball. He's not an idiot and that's what's important in assessing youngn'. He was always around the basket and was just involved when he was out there.
-No lead is safe when playing us.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Tim Horton
Analyst
And1: 1,233

Post#193 » by Tim Horton » Wed Oct 7, 2009 1:43 pm

DG88 wrote:
Avenger wrote:I don't care if this one preseason game but Colangelo needs to look to trade away Calderon ASAP. I don't understand why the mother **** he dominates the ball so much when all does is play hot potato on the perimeter and almost never creates good looks for his teammates. His defence was flat out atrocious like always, so much for the new calderon talk. Oh and why the **** did he feed Reggie Evans in the post, how can you be that stupid?

I liked what i saw from Marco, he needs to cut down on his wild side though. His defence is surprisingly adequate and perhaps good?

Jack was decent but needs to play within himself, so less of that put your down and drive the ball into 4 defenders.

Reggie Evans sucks, he's a gimmick to be a honest. He gambles too much, can't finish and leaves the Raptors a bit vulnerable when defending the fast break.

Calderon hasn't play any sort of competitive ball be it playing with other plays at gyms or practicing with his national team in 5 months. I wouldn't expect him to be game ready conditioning wise. Also he has to get used to his new teammates as well. I didn't like how he played either but I also looked at factors that could explain his poor play.

good grief! another ALIBI! last season it was this leg aching, fatigue from the national team or whatnot. now no competitive basketball! (and yeah, SPAIN won the Euros WITHOUT him) all you Calderon apologists/fanboys should stop and smell the paella. it's spoiled so stop eating it!
Anatomize
General Manager

Post#194 » by Anatomize » Wed Oct 7, 2009 1:46 pm

^ stop posting.

All the 'apologists' provided legitimate reasons for why he would be playing poorly in his FIRST preseason game. Just like Bargnani, the bi-polar posters here jump the gun after 1 **** game. All his 'apologists' also said they understood he played poorly and admitted it, unlike you, they are able to see both sides of the spectrum.

Hey bojangelz, that's one for the ignore list.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,184

Post#195 » by djsunyc » Wed Oct 7, 2009 1:47 pm

i didn't watch the game (just some highlights) but i agree with the majority sentiment that to not take too much away from this first game. jose said on raptors today (courtesy of bigmac) that his timing was off since he hasn't played 5 on 5 all summer so he's definitely rusty. meanwhile andrea + marco played competetive ball recently so they probably have less cobwebs than the other folks.

remember folks, we we were 0-7 to start 06/07. sometimes it takes a little while. sometimes things don't click until january. sometimes things click in november and sometimes they never click at all.

take it for what it is as fans...it's the first bball we've seen since last year so everyone is rusty. don't over anal-yze. sit back and enjoy the ride...
The Notic
Banned User
And1: 8
Location: it's a bird. it's a plane. NO! it's Lois Lane givin me brain.

Post#196 » by The Notic » Wed Oct 7, 2009 1:57 pm

MrBojangelz71 wrote:Just reading some comments on this post game thread and I realize what E.Smith meant when he stated that this board has some intelligent posters but it has to many immature and non insightful ones that ruin any meaningful conversations about the game.

lol. get over yourself.
bloodtoavampire
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#197 » by bloodtoavampire » Wed Oct 7, 2009 1:59 pm

jose looked bad
demar looked ok, he was nervous. He is quick though
Amir was good
Evans was good
Andrea is da bomb
BryceMaxJames
Bench Warmer
And1: 382

Post#198 » by BryceMaxJames » Wed Oct 7, 2009 2:02 pm

MinnyMo wrote:Got a good look from all the new/old raptors

DeRozan - didn't force a whole lot, played within himself
Weems - real athletic, a smaller offensive mold of moon
Amir - as advertised, brings the boards and blocks
Evans - also as advertised, brings the energy and toughness
Bargnani - played a great game, in mid season form
Calderon - Really rusty, had some uncharacteristic turnovers, needs to get in game shape
Jack - a solid player, good handles, good crisp passes, can hit the open jumper
Douby - fast, takes ill-advised shots
Banks - showed that he might be able to get minutes with a solid 8 mins of play in the 4th
Bellinelli - hes going to be on or off, tonight he was off, hopefully he will be more consistent as he progresses through the pre-season
Rasho - played some solid minutes, as expected
O'bryant - stepped up his soft play slightly from summer league

agreed, we need to cut douby, he's a chucker and doesn't seem to be learning. He said he practised with Billup and Garnett, obviously didn't payoff. JT needs to consider Bringing Jose off the bench for quicker gaurds. Amir is gonna be great, Weems was better than i expected. I'm not worried about DD, he will come into form. He is just feeling his way through. When he is needed he will step up.
gangstaff
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#199 » by gangstaff » Wed Oct 7, 2009 2:12 pm

Didn't watch, but i see a lot of "andrea was awesome" comments yet he had 3 rbs and 0 assts 0 blocks. Please explain. Thanks.

Also, is Amir big enough to play C? Or is he a PF?
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,560

Post#200 » by DG88 » Wed Oct 7, 2009 2:18 pm

Anatomize wrote:^ stop posting.

All the 'apologists' provided legitimate reasons for why he would be playing poorly in his FIRST preseason game. Just like Bargnani, the bi-polar posters here jump the gun after 1 **** game. All his 'apologists' also said they understood he played poorly and admitted it, unlike you, they are able to see both sides of the spectrum.

Hey bojangelz, that's one for the ignore list.

I already did, there's no use in arguing with people that can't step back and look at all the variables. Instead they try to shove everything down your throat.

Return to Toronto Raptors