ImageImageImageImageImage

The future of NBA coverage - Free (legal) internet stream?

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,964

The future of NBA coverage - Free (legal) internet stream? 

Post#1 » by MEDIC » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:17 pm

Found this on the Boston Forum.

Boston Celtics fans could soon have another way to watch their team play - online. The NBA franchise is in talks with Comcast to stream games live, and free, on the Web next season

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/general/view.bg?articleid=1176712

The NBA D-League also advances the game of basketball as the research and development arm of the NBA. Throughout the season fans can watch all NBA D-League games on NBA Futurecast, the free live Web-streaming initiative found at nba.com/futurecast.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/press_release/press062909-nba-development-league-affiliation.html (bottom of article)

This is great news that they are at least considering going this direction.

Do you think this is the future for sports coverage? Will we see this league wide soon?

Discuss.
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Re: The future of NBA coverage - Free (legal) internet stream? 

Post#2 » by Kabookalu » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:24 pm

I hope they do this for the Raptors, for the past 3 seasons I've been growing white hairs before games looking for an active stream.
Live Free
General Manager
And1: 2,836

Post#3 » by Live Free » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:24 pm

good move by a storied franchise, hopefully the money driven corporations (tsn, rogers, etc) come to grips with mlse and reach out to the best fans in sports out here in toronto

we deserve it after the tsn2 nonsense
jalenrose#5
Lead Assistant
And1: 266

Post#4 » by jalenrose#5 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:28 pm

The NBA talks about becoming a Global Game so what better way then to stream games live on the worldwide web. Granted the picture quality may be a touch off and it might not be "LIVE" at times, I still think it's a great direction for the NBA to go. But because of the choppy quality sometimes etc, I would not pay a dime for it if I had to pay, unless I get great quality games all the time. It being Free is like icing on the cupcake.
kingkao
Rookie
And1: 77

Post#5 » by kingkao » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:39 pm

With broadband getting faster (although not in canada), video streaming is beginning to be more prevelant. Look at Netflix. So why give cable companies a piece of the pie. Do the advertising yourself and take more. Free Free Free! I just hope there isn't that, this video is not available in your country...ugh! Seriously, if you going to put something on the net or your product is some form of media, its going to be pirated anyways, keep everything open.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,561

Post#6 » by DreamTeam09 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:39 pm

I believe Portland is streaming games this year.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
MEDIC
RealGM
And1: 8,964

Post#7 » by MEDIC » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:43 pm

Maybe we should start a new movement!

Email MLSE/ Raps TV to let them know that we are aware of Boston's plans & ask if this is something they are considering in the near future.

The quicker it is brought to their attention, the quicker it is discussed on some level on their end.

I'm gonna put a bug in their ear.....
* Props to the man, the myth, the legend......TZ.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,159

Post#8 » by djsunyc » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:47 pm

kingkao wrote:With broadband getting faster (although not in canada), video streaming is beginning to be more prevelant. Look at Netflix. So why give cable companies a piece of the pie. Do the advertising yourself and take more. Free Free Free! I just hope there isn't that, this video is not available in your country...ugh! Seriously, if you going to put something on the net or your product is some form of media, its going to be pirated anyways, keep everything open.

i just built myself a home theater pc (htpc) - everything is streaming, and at high quality.

once they market cable card pc tuner cards - cable boxes will be a thing of the past. it's all about the all in one computer model for the home theater experience.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#9 » by dacrusha » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:56 pm

Portland is streaming the 16 games that aren't being carried by their 'Comcast' station.

The NBA has officially granted all teams to explore streaming options, so it won't be long and all games will be online.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#10 » by Rerisen » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:22 pm

It doesn't specify if these would be free for everyone or only a local area around the home team's base. For example, the BBC streamed the recent Bulls/Jazz game from London, but it was blocked out over here (U.S), and presumably in all of North America.
bakafool
RealGM
And1: 4,651

Post#11 » by bakafool » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:32 pm

That would be great. But "free" and MLSE just don't mesh very well together.
Noooo!!! Not Possible! Not Possible! - Comcast commentator after the shot by Mo Peterson.
DG88
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 27,540

Post#12 » by DG88 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:34 pm

bakafool wrote:That would be great. But "free" and MLSE just don't mesh very well together.

QFT
hoopsaddict
Senior
And1: 60

Post#13 » by hoopsaddict » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:40 pm

Forgot where I read this today, but it appears Portland is going to be streaming a lot of their games online free of charge. Great idea, not sure how that works though with people who pay for NBA League Pass. I have a feeling the NBA won't like the idea of losing money because teams are streaming games online for free.
Check out http://HoopsAddict.com/ for your basketball fix.

Return to Toronto Raptors