ImageImageImageImageImage

Post Game: 39 points on 13 shots!

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

RapsVC15
RealGM
And1: 424

Re: Post Game: 39 points on 13 shots! 

Post#141 » by RapsVC15 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:20 am

lol looks like the chicken little's are in full force tonight
ProjectChester
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#142 » by ProjectChester » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:24 am

We were winning for a bit, then after the Weems missed dunk, everything went downards, but our offence and defence still has a lot of potential. I guarantee you all of this will get cleaned up before the Boston game and we will prove it on Boston.
TheDunc
Head Coach
And1: 1,275

Post#143 » by TheDunc » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:25 am

this team players might of changed for the most part but it still seems like the same raptors from last year...
TheDunc
Head Coach
And1: 1,275

Post#144 » by TheDunc » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:27 am

i missed weems missed dunk? what happened?
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#145 » by Mustard_Tiger » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:30 am

Str33t_Fight3r wrote:don't fans usually support their teams for the most part? Every single word you type seems to always bash the Raps in one way or another. If you hate the the way the team is...why post here? Go post on the board of a team that you actually like.

I love the Raptors and have cheered for them in every game of their existence, but fans who support their teams blindly without critically asking the tough questions are sheep.

btw, welcome to my ignore list :)

Yet another example of the level of groupthink on this board. When people are confronted with a thought different than their own, they simply throw it to the wayside in favor of the blindly, positive ones.
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User

Post#146 » by Mustard_Tiger » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:32 am

PopsMensahBonsu wrote:this team players might of changed for the most part but it still seems like the same raptors from last year...

The main core players are still the same, why would you expect a major change?
ImissBobCostas
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#147 » by ImissBobCostas » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:55 am

I try to focus on that 2 minute stretch where Bargs looked x2 as fast as anybody guarding him and Turk was setting people up for lay-ups.

Bosh is clearly not trying, nor is Jose.

You know why? Cause they have 82 games to play that count and these don't.
rtcaino
Bench Warmer
And1: 54

Post#148 » by rtcaino » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:58 am

I was sitting right by Colangelo's tunnel, and considering it was preseason:

(channeling Brian from family guy)

BRYAN LOOKED PISSED

disclaimer - please don't smite me god. I do not mean to compare Colangelo to you, even by way of a cartoon. Raps are below .500 in preseason. your team would do much better.
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#149 » by hsb » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:06 am

Mustard_Tiger wrote:
Yosemite Dan wrote:WOW, good comeback. I feel better about the Raps already.

Most people here aren't willing to ask the tough questions about Colangelo and the mediocre direction of this team. In fact, most people are still very defensive about BC's "plan."

No, a lot of people are. For reference, look at every post after going 3-0 last year.

What most people don't do is bring up the 'I have a better perspective on this team, while the rest of you are sheep' because of game 5 of preseason.

This is why it is hard to digest your posts. You have more tunnel vision then Ukic and grab at anything to prove your ideas. Until a better time comes to conclude anything, hope for the best this year.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User

Post#150 » by Mustard_Tiger » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:32 am

hsb wrote:No, a lot of people are. For reference, look at every post after going 3-0 last year.

Apparently you don't read this board in the same way that I do. There are many who are ready to blindly follow Colangelo's hype. It kind of reminds me of the "hope" surrounding the Leafs at the beginning of their season.

What most people don't do is bring up the 'I have a better perspective on this team, while the rest of you are sheep' because of game 5 of preseason.

I clearly have a better perspective than most about this team, and it certainly isn't because of any preseason game.

This is why it is hard to digest your posts. You have more tunnel vision then Ukic and grab at anything to prove your ideas. Until a better time comes to conclude anything, hope for the best this year.

The Raptors are a poor defensive team with a short-sighted direction of mediocrity. Why does that need to be proved? It's self-evident.

What makes anybody think a team led by Bosh, Calderon, and Bargnani will be significantly different than last year's team that was led by exactly the same players?
ayo_23
Veteran
And1: 164

Post#151 » by ayo_23 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:56 am

39 points on 13 shots is nothing.

Anyone remember way back against the Warriors (when they had Baron)...
they had like 17 three's one game.
Trax416
Bench Warmer

Post#152 » by Trax416 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:57 am

LOl @ everyone saying we played no D.

We played amazing D in field goal range. In fact, we dominated them there, look at all the numbers. We played NO D at third point range.

If we played D in the paint like that last season, we would not be in the lottery.
Paperclip
Lead Assistant

Post#153 » by Paperclip » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:01 am

So the team layed an egg on a back to back in a preseason game. The overreaction in this thread is funny. Sure there is some things that need to be addressed when the regular season starts, but this game is not indicator of what will happen in the season every night.
kirbs
Banned User

Post#154 » by kirbs » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:03 am

Trax416 wrote:LOl @ everyone saying we played no D.

We played amazing D in field goal range. In fact, we dominated them there, look at all the numbers. We played NO D at third point range.

If we played D in the paint like that last season, we would not be in the lottery.

Houston shot 55.7% from 2-point range. I guess that's what you mean by "amazing D in field goal range"?
Trax416
Bench Warmer

Post#155 » by Trax416 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:11 am

kirbs wrote:

Houston shot 55.7% from 2-point range. I guess that's what you mean by "amazing D in field goal range"?

How many points did they get in 2 point range and in the paint? The Raptors D pushed them to the three point line, then the Raptors did not defend the third point line. So, Houston made lots of three point shots to win the game. Thats why they win. Not because of anything they did inside the arc.

Triano said this at the press conference. So if you are calling me an idiot, you are calling Triano an idiot, and I am sure he has forgotten more about basketball then you or I will ever know.
baba ghanooj
Junior

Post#156 » by baba ghanooj » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:31 am

Remember that play when Battier was open for literally forever waving his arms around the place and Houston failed to see him till the last second and he drilled a wide open 3?

i turned off the tv right there
hsb
RealGM
And1: 15,858

Post#157 » by hsb » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:38 am

Mustard_Tiger wrote:Apparently you don't read this board in the same way that I do. There are many who are ready to blindly follow Colangelo's hype. It kind of reminds me of the "hope" surrounding the Leafs at the beginning of their season.

There are as many people who follow BC blindly as there are those who are waiting to rip him apart. Even something as meaningless as game 5 of a pre-season. You have to understand MT, this point of yours is not unique.

Mustard_Tiger wrote:I clearly have a better perspective than most about this team, and it certainly isn't because of any preseason game.

No, what you have is a problem of putting your thoughts on the pedestal to many times.

Don't want to address the the objective of this game for the coaching staff? Any positives in this game to move on to the future? What this unit can work on internally? What type of defense the team should employ? How the new players are fitting in? From what you saw, the best way to attack specific defenses or players?...

Instead of meaningful conversation you decide to bring up the same talking points whenever you decide the environment provides even the slightest opportunity to do so.

Mustard_Tiger wrote:The Raptors are a poor defensive team with a short-sighted direction of mediocrity. Why does that need to be proved? It's self-evident.

The only thing this team has done is play 5 pre-season games together. That is the only thing that is self-evident.
"I definitely knew he traveled, but I didn't know they were going to call it. That was one of them situations in which a great player made a move...and they called the call. And I was like, 'Oh, man, there is a God.'
bane_dd
Banned User

Post#158 » by bane_dd » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:43 am

Trax, you are partly right and partly wrong. I'm not sure we played "amazing" D inside the arc, but the collapsing defense took away a lot of their easy scoring opportunities, particularly early in the game. To defend the 3 point line well in a situation like that involves quick close outs to the shooters on kickouts. However, it's only preseason and guys are tired after playing in Hartford last night.

Another issue is that unlike the regular season games, preseason games are not as well scouted. Coaches usually put more onus on what their own team does than what the opponents do. So had this been a regular season game, I'm sure film would be watched showing Battier's and Ariza's tendencies and preferred spots on the floor. It's also tough to do due to uneven and unpredictable rotations used in the preseason.

The defensive effort will hopefully be better once the real season starts. There are still a couple of weeks of practices and scrimmages left to get in shape and go over the defensive schemes. Everyone is up in arms over this loss. It's a back-to-back game in the preseason, people. Relax.
Mustard_Tiger
Banned User

Post#159 » by Mustard_Tiger » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:16 am

hsb wrote:There are as many people who follow BC blindly as there are those who are waiting to rip him apart.

If there are, I haven't seen them.

No, what you have is a problem of putting your thoughts on the pedestal to many times.

On a forum like Real GM, it's all too easy. In fact, I wouldn't even consider it a problem.

Don't want to address the the objective of this game for the coaching staff? Any positives in this game to move on to the future? What this unit can work on internally? What type of defense the team should employ? How the new players are fitting in? From what you saw, the best way to attack specific defenses or players?...

I don't waste my time watching meaningless pre-season games where the starters don't even give a full effort, so I couldn't give you an answer to any of those things.

Instead of meaningful conversation you decide to bring up the same talking points whenever you decide the environment provides even the slightest opportunity to do so.

I would consider a debate about this team's direction incredibly meaningful. In fact, it's much more meaningful than talking about what type of defense they should employ next game.

The only thing this team has done is play 5 pre-season games together. That is the only thing that is self-evident.

Not really. Bad defensive teams don't suddenly become good ones because of a change of bench players.
Jakay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,928

Post#160 » by Jakay » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:26 am

A sampling of teams at the moment with under .500 records:
Zero.

A sampling of teams at the moment with under .500 pre-season records:
Miami
Phoenix
New Orleans
Toronto
Portland
Denver
San Antonio

Seriously, those of you panacking right now, considering all the things that have changed with this team, with players learning to play together, a coach holding his first pre-season... you just look silly. Follow the game for a few more years, and actually realize that in the end, pre-season does reveal how players have changed, who's conditioned, who's not, but not much more. And game after game you can find coaches themselves saying "it's only preseason so it doesn't mean much". Coaches. NBA coaches, not armchair ones.

Is this team going to be good? Who bloody well knows. These games don't answer anything, except the teams that have been on top of the league for awhile are just shaking off the rust rather than changing things up.

There have been a few posters who have in no uncertain terms said "I don't think this team is going to be good, but the preseason doesn't mean anything". That comes off as though he has some point. "the Raps NEED to pick and roll to win these games!" does not.

Remember: 0-0. As much as you want to get your panties in a knot, 0-0.

Return to Toronto Raptors